PDA

View Full Version : Ma long backhand

Bryce
06-06-2011, 04:14 PM
Hey, any tips on Ma Long's backhand? Is he using his wrist greatly? Here is the video URL:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAsdY0HyFUM&feature=player_embedded. Please give me some of your advice;)

Rhydian
06-06-2011, 07:48 PM
well, my coach teached me on doing that backhand ^^ he told me:
1. your elbow should be stable and don't move much
2. you should touch the ball at the same point each time
3. your whrist, thumb and forefinger dictate the direction of the ball
4. try to scratch the ball, to put spin on it
5. try to first to control the spincurve of your ball, don't matter even if it gets high
6. after you got the control of that, try to make your spincurve lower so that your balls become hard to attack on

and, don't forget to finish your movement after all stroke!
I think thats that what my coach told me and it works :D ok, my backhand topspin isn't as good as Ma Long's but I'm getting closer :P

Bryce
06-06-2011, 11:43 PM
I see ma long moving his forearm greatly here. Is that the reason for his backhand?

azlan
06-07-2011, 08:39 AM
That's the follow through, which all strokes have it, and should be made as a habit. Rhydian mentioned it in his last paragraph, and he's quite right. But notice that he's elbow does not move much.

Bryce
06-07-2011, 11:33 AM
His forearm movement and wrist. Does that generate the power?

kaikaz
06-07-2011, 03:17 PM
His forearm movement and wrist. Does that generate the power?

And also the legs. He goes up and down a little bit.

tpgh
06-07-2011, 03:43 PM
for close to the table, you will see a lot of forearm movement only. that is because it needs to be a quick response. once you get further away from the table, you'll see a bit more body rotation, this will give added power.

Rhydian
06-07-2011, 05:38 PM
yeah, the forearm gives the ball spin and speed! before you play, get on position, stay on your left leg (for righthanders) and while you touch the ball, be fast with your forearm and go a little bit up by pushing yourself up with your left leg :)

for close to the table, you will see a lot of forearm movement only. that is because it needs to be a quick response. once you get further away from the table, you'll see a bit more body rotation, this will give added power.

you're right ;D

YosuaYosan
06-07-2011, 10:36 PM
well, my coach teached me on doing that backhand ^^ he told me:
1. your elbow should be stable and don't move much
2. you should touch the ball at the same point each time
3. your whrist, thumb and forefinger dictate the direction of the ball
4. try to scratch the ball, to put spin on it
5. try to first to control the spincurve of your ball, don't matter even if it gets high
6. after you got the control of that, try to make your spincurve lower so that your balls become hard to attack on

and, don't forget to finish your movement after all stroke!
I think thats that what my coach told me and it works :D ok, my backhand topspin isn't as good as Ma Long's but I'm getting closer :P

Yep, thats the backhand stroke in a nutshell..
Dont forget to be relaxed to !

Bryce
06-08-2011, 04:09 AM
Ok thanks. I'll try that.

Bryce
06-08-2011, 02:06 PM
Btw guys. May i know the angle of the bat when performing the stroke?

Bollforte94
06-08-2011, 02:25 PM
the spin in the ball and the position of the ball decides the angle of the bat

tpgh
06-08-2011, 03:26 PM
you'll figure out the angle as you start practicing. the rubber will react differently than others. so just adjust it as you go.