Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
This thread isn't about the road to Timo Boll or Wang Hao's 2012 Olympic campaign. This is about my friends who represent Great Britain for paralympic table tennis.

It's been a long tough road for these athletes to achieve their ambitions, so read on and appreciate the odds they have had to overcome. Currently the team are in their qualification year for the 2012 Paralympic games held in London.

In this video, TableTennisDaily's Wolly (Joe Stotesbury), Paul Karabardak and Will Bayley.

n754290716_6781339_302268.jpg

In photo left to right (Joe Stotesbury, Paul Karabardak and Will Bayley)

Joe Stotesbury

Joe was born with a disability called Cerebral Palsy. This has affected one side of his body.

At the age of 12 Joe began playing Table Tennis; by the time he reached 18, he had achieved being British Junior Champion 5 times and runner up twice. At this point he was called up to the national squad and has been competing internationally ever since.

Joe now at the age of 23 train's in Sheffield in a world class environment and has just recently got a BSC Honours Degree in Sport Science.

Visit Joe's website HERE

Will Bayley

Will Bayley has become an exceptional athlete in his chosen sport of table tennis. At only 22 years of age he has reached number 2 in the world, represented Great Britain in the Beijing Paralympics and won numerous gold medals at International Opens.

Will is currently in class 7 in the disability category. He was unfortunate enough to be born with a rare congenital disorder called Arthrogryposis, which has affected all four of his limbs. Will has accepted the challenge of this disability head on, and, as it will be quickly realised, nothing is looked on by him as a "cannot be done" scenario.

Will's table tennis has gone from strength to strength since he started playing at twelve years of age and has competed all around the world, picking up numerous International Gold Medals in the process and competing in the Beijing Paralympics. Will is now ranked at number 2 in the world for his disability class and is one of the favourites for Gold at London 2012.

Will now trains on a completely full time basis in Sheffield with the GB Paralympic team.

Visit Wills website HERE

Paul Karabardak

Paul Karabardak suffered a major stroke at just ten-years-old, losing movement in his left arm. Doctors said that he would never be able to walk again. But he refused to let his disability get in the way of his love of sport. Just 12 months later, he signed up to Penlan Leisure Centre’s table tennis club.

Paul's Achievements:
- U.S.A Open champion
- Swedish Open champion
- European Championships: Bronze medal
- 6 times British Champion

If you have any questions for TTD member Wolly (Joe Stotesbury) leave a comment below and he will get back to you.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Nice documentary Dan! I'll follow that!
I wish them good luck for the qualifications and hope that they will do well!

Hey Joe,
I've been through your homepage and liked it! It impresses me that you never gave up and continued playing! That's awsome! That gives the people out there motivation to keep going on and never give up, no matter what gets in your way. My question is, how did you manage to get so far? I mean it wasn't quite easy to keep going on?

Looking forward to your answer :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Nice documentary Dan! I'll follow that!
I wish them good luck for the qualifications and hope that they will do well!

Hey Joe,
I've been through your homepage and liked it! It impresses me that you never gave up and continued playing! That's awsome! That gives the people out there motivation to keep going on and never give up, no matter what gets in your way. My question is, how did you manage to get so far? I mean it wasn't quite easy to keep going on?

Looking forward to your answer :)

Its never really been hard to keep going mate. I have a good family and some amazing friends, thats all!

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
Hi Joe, the only thing that I can utter at the moment is nothing short of IMPRESSIVE. Your achievements are just mind blowing, academically and in sports. Keep up the good work buddy, and I wish you all the very best in everything that you do.

Thx Dan for threading this, it's one of the best threads so far...

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Hi Joe, the only thing that I can utter at the moment is nothing short of IMPRESSIVE. Your achievements are just mind blowing, academically and in sports. Keep up the good work buddy, and I wish you all the very best in everything that you do.

Thx Dan for threading this, it's one of the best threads so far...

Really nice comments there Azlan,

Glad you liked it, no worries I will keep you update on them :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
I am curious, is table tennis relatively big in England? I don't know if its just because Dan is from there, and therefore a lot of his friends are on here also, but it seems just from my impression, that there is a well developed league there, and quite a lot of players and people who are interested in it. Plus, out of all the things Obama could have done while there, one of them was to play table tennis. I mean I realize that table tennis is supposed to have been created in England, but that by itself doesn't mean it would still be popular there.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It is nice to see people putting such an effort into something they love despite real obstacles. I used to be a professional in-line skater. When we would skate at a ramp we would always session alongside skateboarders. There were a few pro skateboarders who had disabilities who were still amazing. One that stood out was this guy who was missing one of his lower legs. He had a prosthetic and he was as good as anybody until you got to the top, top level pros. It was really cool to see the amount he could do. But no matter what the obstacles, when you are doing something you love, it is worth going for it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011
Got lots of respect for people with a disability, I even think they are even stronger than people with no disability. They take nothing for granted, they have to work harder than other people to achieve the same. There is also this thread about Natalia partyka, even tho she misses her underarm of her non playing arm which gives her problems with her balance I think these guys are even a bigger example of what you can do and achieve with a disability, because they have more "problems".

I give training myself to 2 people with a disability and its just amazing to see how passionate they are, how much effort they want to put in their trainings. They dont moan or whine when they are training, you see they are exhausted and they just keep going and going untill they drop to the ground. It gives me so much inspiration myself to step up my game and to remind me I shouldnt complain when its "too hot to play" or that im too tired or something.

Big respect to all of them!

P.S: What rubber is Will Bayley using in the backhand? Is it some kind of pips? When he plays backhand it seems like the ball just drops dead behind the net.