Is the term 'hardness' comparable between brands?

This user has no status.
I'm considering testing something slightly softer (and lighter!) than my Bluefire M2. Looking at the marketed hardness from different brands I start to wonder if this is an exact thing or something more like speed and spin, that you really can't compare using marketing figures (eg. Donic might say that BF M2 has speed 9, Butterfly that Sriver has speed 8 but those two figures aren't really comparable).

More specifically, how does Bluefire M2 compare to Tenergy 64 in terms of hardness? I have seen different figures on the net but according to Donic and Butterfly I think the T64 should be slightly softer.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
For a start, as far as I can remember both t64 and M2, I would not say that the tenergy is softer. It is quite probably not even lighter than your bluefire.

There are a few scales for sponge hardness that make rubbers comparable. All ESN made in Germany rubbers use the same scale, Butterfly have their own, and Chinese are different altogether.

So if you´re looking for a comparable sponge hardness, try finding out the figures. Not all companies publish these, though. With Joola, for example, if you have a Rhyzm 425 the sponge hardness is 42.5 degrees, if you have a Maxxx 500 the sponge hardness is 50.0 degrees.

Your bluefire should be around 45 - mind that Donic have published the hardnesses for the JP, not the M bluefires.

Last but not least, the overall hardness also depends on the topsheet, so you can have a medium or soft rubber with the same sponge hardness.

The Rhyzm 425 might just be what you´re looking for, or Donic Acuda S2.