Which method is preferred to cut table tennis rubbers?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Read 6 reviews
Hi all,
Often, when cutting table tennis rubbers, i use those retractable knifes that after 1 cut, you can cut the blade off to make it sharp again. I often struggle with this technique. Has any of you used scissors before and the rubber turned out good. If so, can you please post some photos of what your rubbers look like after being cut with scissors?

Reactions: CaptainBit
This user has no status.
While i worked at a TT equipment shop, i was taught to use those bigger retractable knives. It gives a very clean and round cut as compared to scissors.
Problem is, its not as easy as it looks. You need to have great stability with you hands, and great precision to ensure that there isnt the small chunk that pops out when you are turning the knife, and you have to cut through the rubber with 1 stroke to make it perfect.

So yea, if you are having trouble with it, by all means go for the scissors.
The cuts will be a bit more edgy, with less rounded edges as you cant turn the scissor in one smooth actions throughout the cut, unless you have a big ass scissor that is. Also, your scissors have to be VERY VERY sharp.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Read 7 reviews
Normally I will use cutter. But for those expensive modern rubber with fragile sponge, I will use scissors instead. I will draw the shape of blade on the sponge side, then cut with scissors following the curve in small steps. Then glue it to blade just like gluing a used rubber. The rubber will expand a little after applying the glue so it will leave some overhang and gives you that professional blade look. Very cool! Also you don't have to worry about rubber shrinking later. Worth a try.

Attachments

• ML5 a.jpg
    ML5 a.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 1,982
  • ML5 b.jpg
    ML5 b.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 1,902
  • FB.jpg
    FB.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 1,855
Last edited:
This user has no status.
Normally I will use cutter. But for those expensive modern rubber with fragile sponge, I will use scissors instead. I will draw the shape of blade on the sponge side, then cut with scissors following the curve in small steps. Then glue it to blade just like gluing a used rubber. The rubber will expand a little after applying the glue so it will leave some overhang and gives you that professional blade look. Very cool! Also you don't have to worry about rubber shrinking later. Worth a try.
idk about that extra bit of sponge though....to get my service return more aggressive, i will usually chop downwards really hard, often touching the table....and if i had that bit popping out, the rubber is gonna come loose in like 15 minutes :p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Read 7 reviews
To be honest I would rather touch the rubber edge as cushion than damage the blade or table. I don't see many player touching the table on purpose really. Not sure if there is a rule against it thou. I see many pro blades are like that so I believe it is not something bad.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2013
Ideally, I use a scalpel to cut my rubbers flush to the blade. Very clean look and minimizes the risk of the rubber peeling on the table from an accidental push that goes too low. I don't like overhang because it reduces the vibration and feeling of the blade (although for this very reason some people may like this more than cutting flush to the wood).

In a pinch or if I'm in a hurry to glue a replacement sheet at a tournament, my favorite scissors so far are the mini-serrated ones intended for hair salons. I also prefer to use scissors when cutting pips out rubbers, as scalpels/knives sometimes snag in the gaps. I'll post a picture of both cutting results tomorrow.

This user has no status.
I gave the coach in the club i went a lot to assemble the rackets for me and he always cutting it with the scissors, and i notice that he always keep very slight extension of the rubber over the edges by say maybe 0.2mm or closer, i didn't ask him why, but sounds maybe he do that in purpose, and the only purpose i can think about is that the edge of the blade with rubbers are the always one that can damage quickly or easily, so maybe he gave that more over edge of the rubber because he knew i may damage the rubber on the edges within the time, but if not, can you tell about his reasons doing this to my rackets then?

I like his work on my blades, it is like he is knowing his job even i can do it or others, but it is likely he is doing it with more care and interest.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2015
Hey friend, i use a thin blade and laying racket down rubber face down and cutting flush but don't be so rough with the rubber take your time to get through it and friend I also use razor blades.It is also one of cheapest investment. You can also try this.