Mikael Appelgren: Fishing

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
Appelgren was one of my favorite players to watch. His stokes often seemed to have a pause at the end of his backswing, like he was there early, and then he'd rip the stroke forward. So much topspin - reminded me of table tennis' version of Bjorn Borg. High % shots, lots of topspin, great consistency.

This user has no status.
Maybe the new balls
Or could be that most players nowadays only focus on offensive style rallies loop and don't want to do another tactics, it is like same copy on many players
Are there some rules changed since the past? maybe that this sport doesn't have much support as before or the most support goes to another sports, many brands so far with many choices of equipment, and many of those brands trying to convince some player to use their product and promote them, so maybe many players maybe don't have the right bat they want.

You can think of many reasons, but to know the reasons, you have to tell what is the difference between nowadays playing and the past playing? what has changed?

This user has no status.
back then players freely developed their own different styles. i'm not sure if the 38mm ball allowed for different styles to be played more successfuly or if the sport naturally weeded out the less effective styles but today with the 40mm ball there is very little doubt that the quick attack looping style is the most effective. as a consequnce pretty much everyone is trained in that style from a very young age.

for sure the sport has developed since then, players were trained to hit the ball earlier when attacking and got better and better at this.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
You are not alone! Watching the old World Championships is just the best. What do you think is the main reason for this?

Maybe because most players try to play the same as the Chinese. Everybody has an high risk attacking game and you dont see as much passive and genius players like Waldner and Samsonov anymore...