What type of exercise should i be doing?

Hi guys, im a keen player of the game and im trying to up my ranks in the country. I was wondering what a table tennis players diet is, so what sort of things should i be eating and drinking and how much of it. Also what exercises should i be doing to improve my game, (Lunges, sit-ups, squats?)

says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
Nov 2014
Read 6 reviews
I would not call myself an expert, but, eating and drinking would probs be the same as any other sport similar to table tennis (Tennis, badminton etc. Google it)
There are alot of exercises you could do, one which I think is highly recomendable, in terms of your footwork would be rope jumping, very efective for improoving your legs and springiness. (I've seen for example Xu Xin training this so I believe it's legitly a great exercise)
I'd recomend you do some research, find out what it is that you're not so good at that you should improove on and train that more than you usually do. (like if you have a great fh and you bh is lacking, train on the bh). If you think you have a good alround play, then you should just drill your skills and do the basic exercises!
here are some nice links you should check out!
http://www.pingskills.com/table-tennis/training-plan/
http://www.pongworld.com/tips/tips_train.php
http://www.experttabletennis.com/5-tips-table-tennis-fitness/

Good luck :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Read 4 reviews
Sit ups pushups and other basuc stuff like that is great.it helps your body get stronger and the result will be more power,control, better reflexes and more stability.
I agree kaizoku on the rest but i would tell you that if you for examble have a good fh and a lesser bh u should work hard on BOTH.its because both if u improve both you will have a devastating fh and a great bh.isnt that better than good fh and good bh? 😁😁

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
HIIT training and running, keeping low body fat etc. This is what I would suggest and best of all it transfers to other sports and every day life. In other words I would go for all around body build than trying to do specific table tennis exercises. I've noticed most players have big legs and small upper body, so you can tell squatting is probably their regular routine.

Sit ups pushups and other basuc stuff like that is great.it helps your body get stronger and the result will be more power,control, better reflexes and more stability.
I agree kaizoku on the rest but i would tell you that if you for examble have a good fh and a lesser bh u should work hard on BOTH.its because both if u improve both you will have a devastating fh and a great bh.isnt that better than good fh and good bh? 
Yh Good point thanks

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
Core and lower limb training (thigh + legs) are especially important. Just look at Fan Zhendong's or Zhang Jike's legs. Leg + Core is the key to explosiveness and fast transitions between forehand and backhand.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Squats and lunges are perfect for TT. Type "footwork coordination " or "explosive footwork exercises" on google and you will get tons of info with various workouts.

If you are familiar playing with open legs using sidesteps by moving on the balls of your feet without getting off balance, then u will notice even in the 1st week that with squats your footwork is more speedy. Imagine how fast you will become by regular and progressive training.

Flexibility exercises and good stretching exercises are essential also

p.s. check the footwork tutorials of pingskills and type "chinese footwork table tennis" on youtube. 6 videos will come up with various footwork seminars from a chinese coach in denmark. Every player who wants to improve their footwork must watch them. Its the best video tutorials in english about proper footwork

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
Hi guys, im a keen player of the game and im trying to up my ranks in the country. I was wondering what a table tennis players diet is, so what sort of things should i be eating and drinking and how much of it. Also what exercises should i be doing to improve my game, (Lunges, sit-ups, squats?)

The two main things you need are endurance/stamina and good reflexes/coordination. Work on long stamina routines like running or drilling balls nonstop side to side on the table. Another great thing to work you reflexes and coordination besides just playing is having someone throw a ball near you and you have to move to it so it hits your shoe. Then you can increase the distance and time inbetween balls. My main point being just work on footwork and being able to go H.A.M. the whole match(stamina). With those two things your game will develop to a very fast pace. Assuming you can play decently.

Reactions: AliMallochTT
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2015
There are many answers for this question .

Table tennis depends more on "how speedy your are" than "how strong you are" .

Therefore , Many coaches tries to keep you away from strength exercises (especially weight lifting exercise) .

Why , because they increase your strength , but in the other hand , they make you slower .

My advice , You should try using resistance band with isometric exercises for upper and lower body .

Check this link : cannot post the link yet :(

You will be amazed with the results .

Just try to warm-up always before doing these exercises . I got injuries several times because of this .

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Why , because they increase your strength , but in the other hand , they make you slower.

That is correct. So a lot of those exercises like footwork ladder drills that include changes in direction. Those actually help your legs get stronger and faster in the way you need for table tennis.

They actually force your core to strengthen in a way that is completely functional for table tennis.

Plank work and side plank work is also particularly good.

Again, stuff like what is in that video I posted would be really useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
There are many answers for this question .

Table tennis depends more on "how speedy your are" than "how strong you are" .

Therefore , Many coaches tries to keep you away from strength exercises (especially weight lifting exercise) .

Why , because they increase your strength , but in the other hand , they make you slower .

My advice , You should try using resistance band with isometric exercises for upper and lower body .

Check this link : cannot post the link yet :(

You will be amazed with the results .

Just try to warm-up always before doing these exercises . I got injuries several times because of this .

Strength exercises with weights will only make you slower if you bulk up too much muscle (like a bodybuilder or a fitness model) and you neglect flexibility exercises.

There are videos of waldner and maze doing 10 or even more repetitions of squats with 100 kilograms over their shoulders. There are many ways of getting faster, after all being faster directly relates on being stronger UNTILL a CERTAIN point!

So what TT player needs to do is to exercise on stamina workouts (running for example), flexibility workouts (stretching and various exercises that tone and flex the muscle but dont add bulk)and strength exercises (weight training, either slow repetitions, fast repetitions, or fast lifting of the weight and then slowly putting it down)

In general a TT player needs strong but at the same time flexible muscles, to have the ability to "twitch" them really fast. Achieving stamina muscles (slow twitch muscles) is easy because muscles with endurance do not need to be bulky. Thats why the marathon runners are so skinny

Dima ovtcharov stated in his interview with jorgen persson that he tries to be skinny on the upper body (he follows a specific diet and workout plan) and strong in the legs by doing squats and explosive workouts for his legs.

Low upper body weight = less weight for your legs to carry = maximum speed possible, which is exactly what a TT player needs