Rubber Recommendations

Hi guys, i have been playing for a while now and i am getting a new blade to help me improve further, the blade i will be getting is the Butterfly Timo Boll ALC Blade. I am struggling to decide which rubbers to get. Currently i am thinking of getting Tenergy 05 FH and 05fx BH. My playing style is offensive, my loop is very strong and i feel i get a heavy amount of spin and my touches/flicks are decent, my backhand i usually use for looping and flicking rather than attacking with too much power. I want to get a fast and spinny backhand rubber and an even faster rubber for my FH so that i can improve my topspin drive as in get more power with it rather than hit a mediocre shot or loop all the time. Which rubbers would you recommend i get, ive heard the chinese rubbers are good for driving on the forehand.

ps. sorry for the massive message

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2013
Read 2 reviews
On the TB ALC, 05 is good for the forehand. For the backhand, 80, 80fx or 64 would work well. 64 is more bouncy on the short game compared to the other 2, but has a softer feel and has a smoother feeling.
Hurricane 3 Provincial would be good for the forehand also

says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
The equipment doesn't really matter that much, if you are a good player.. It's really complicated, but I'll try to explain it for you in short form:

Most players say they want to improve, that's why they want a new racket.. The thing is; you don't necessarily get any better because you use the same racket as for example Ma Lin. You'll have to consider what suits your play style and what level you are on. You'll also have to take into consideration how you can improve. You'll definitely need some references to work from: for example a coach or a video of yourself, or meet good players so that you can really know your level. Many players are coming to me asking what rubber do I need to get a stronger forehand? I say none almost every time. Because they only need to practise. Of course it might be the case that you really are at a certain level and your racket keeps you from maximising your potential, then you might want to change for something that suits you and your style better! But you always have to keep in mind that it's nothing wrong with the racket, but it's probably something wrong with the guy that's holding it :)

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
The equipment doesn't really matter that much, if you are a good player.. It's really complicated, but I'll try to explain it for you in short form:

Most players say they want to improve, that's why they want a new racket.. The thing is; you don't necessarily get any better because you use the same racket as for example Ma Lin. You'll have to consider what suits your play style and what level you are on. You'll also have to take into consideration how you can improve. You'll definitely need some references to work from: for example a coach or a video of yourself, or meet good players so that you can really know your level. Many players are coming to me asking what rubber do I need to get a stronger forehand? I say none almost every time. Because they only need to practise. Of course it might be the case that you really are at a certain level and your racket keeps you from maximising your potential, then you might want to change for something that suits you and your style better! But you always have to keep in mind that it's nothing wrong with the racket, but it's probably something wrong with the guy that's holding it :)
Im not saying theres anything wrong with the racket, i just want to get a new rubber so that i can focus slightly more on accuracy rather than speed

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Read 14 reviews
Have you been playing something with Chinese rubbers before? Because they are pretty different from "European" rubbers. I would recommend you to try out Airoc M if you not already have. Tenergy 05 can also be good for your forehand. I see that you currently using Donic Acuda S1 turbo, and what do you want to get from a new rubber that Acuda doesn't have? Just a little curious since I have never tried them.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hi guys, i have been playing for a while now and i am getting a new blade to help me improve further, the blade i will be getting is the Butterfly Timo Boll ALC Blade.

I have to say, I agree with Anders. That is an excellent post.

At the top of your post you say you want to get a new setup (blade and rubbers) to help you improve. If you really want to improve, training, good coaching, more training, more good coaching.

If you want a racket to help you get better, to help you improve your technique, your strokes, your ability to produce power and accuracy: get a slower, All Wood, 5 ply blade with good flex and good ball feel. Put any rubbers you want on it. Tenergy is good. Any rubber you want.

What the slower, all wood blade with good flex and good feeling will do is make you have to improve your contact, timing and stroke. Otherwise the ball won't go as fast. As you use it and your strokes improves and you get more body into your strokes, at a certain point your ball will be going as fast as it did when you were using a carbon blade. Then your strokes will have improved.

However, if what you meant was, "I want a blade and rubber setup that will make the ball go faster with accuracy, while I don't work as hard to get the extra pace," then a faster setup is fine.

Also, if your technique is at a level where it doesn't need to improve, then any racket is good. But as far as I know, even the guys in the top 10 can improve their technique.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Anders
Have you been playing something with Chinese rubbers before? Because they are pretty different from "European" rubbers. I would recommend you to try out Airoc M if you not already have. Tenergy 05 can also be good for your forehand. I see that you currently using Donic Acuda S1 turbo, and what do you want to get from a new rubber that Acuda doesn't have? Just a little curious since I have never tried them.
I just wanted that little bit more speed which comes with control too, acuda s1 turbo are quick and very spinny but there control is not amazing. I also want more speed to make it easier to generate speed so that i can focus more on accuracy to hit the edges of the table

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I just wanted that little bit more speed which comes with control too, acuda s1 turbo are quick and very spinny but there control is not amazing. I also want more speed to make it easier to generate speed so that i can focus more on accuracy to hit the edges of the table

This sounds like that recipe for cutting down your stroke and not needing to use the body as much. So, in fact, it is not that you want to improve your skills. You want the rubber to do more for you. That is all good though. You will win more games and matches even though it will hinder the improvement of your ability to generate power with control that would come with improved technique. But that is what most players want and there is nothing wrong with staying at the same basic level but getting a slight edge from better equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Hi guys, i have been playing for a while now and i am getting a new blade to help me improve further, the blade i will be getting is the Butterfly Timo Boll ALC Blade. I am struggling to decide which rubbers to get. Currently i am thinking of getting Tenergy 05 FH and 05fx BH. My playing style is offensive, my loop is very strong and i feel i get a heavy amount of spin and my touches/flicks are decent, my backhand i usually use for looping and flicking rather than attacking with too much power. I want to get a fast and spinny backhand rubber and an even faster rubber for my FH so that i can improve my topspin drive as in get more power with it rather than hit a mediocre shot or loop all the time. Which rubbers would you recommend i get, ive heard the chinese rubbers are good for driving on the forehand.

ps. sorry for the massive message

Screw what you HEARD is good, be skeptical for yourself and doubt everything. Fortunately,, the excellent ALC will work well with almost any inverted rubber you like and know. That sounds weird coming from a TT equipment company President, but take it for what it is. I have personally used TBS and ALC for a few years and know myself.

We all have certain things we want for each wing. On BH, I am known to make do with a banana peel (Thanks Carl, you joker!) but in real life I have successfully used for years an $8 control OFF rubber on BH and my FH has ben very picky, either Aurus or Evo series. I use these rubbers on nearly all my test blades since I know what I am getting and can tell subtle differences because I used these same rubbers for years.

You could be "right" using $8 XP 2008 from teh eternal "Der_Echte Special" setup or your favorite flavor of Tenergy... it doesn't matter so much WHICH one, but IF it is suitable, and there are almost ENDLESS suitable possibilities for you there.

Dont' sweat it, if you got the money for the world's best rubber in T05, go for it, no company has matched the performance of it yet, but do you see me using it? And you can see forum members tell you live that I can make a lot of shots BH with an $8 rubber, so decide for yourself and be your own person.

We in the Equipment industry like players like you who will spend a lot of money on equipment and sometimes it si well spent.

Personally, I am all about relative value, sometimes that favors using expensive stuff, sometimes that favors using inexpensive stuff.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews

Sounds like you would be fine with just getting tenergy 05 on your forehand and backhand if you are willing to spend the money. They are also good rubbers with that blade, not to mention great rubbers in general. But, as I always recommend go for Hurricane III NEO on your forehand, it will make you play with correct technique, and if you do you will be happy with the speed and control and spin.

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
Also ( if Rhyzm-P is anything like the original Rhyzm which I'm currently using ) you'll find that push strokes can go wrong if you forget to push through the ball properly. At low ball speeds there is very little rebound effect from the rubber so if you mis-time your pushes the ball can just die off the bat. Does make me feel a bit of a plonker when I do that !!

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
@JHB It's actually a great characteristic of hard rubber topsheet for generating super spinny pushes. I didn't find Rhyzm-P to be as great at this as the old Rhyzm though(when playing P with plastic ball)

Well yes, perhaps. Basically Rhyzm is very slightly tacky and consequently when playing gently it can be a bit two-paced. It's an excellent rubber against opponents who put a bit of pace on the ball but you need to be wary against "prodders."