PDA

View Full Version : Talking during the rally

olvarox
06-15-2011, 07:45 PM
Since we've been discussing the stamping thing, another item popped up in my head:

If a player sighs/grunts/shouts/curses during a rally, is that legal?

Some examples:

1. A player curses because he thinks he mis-hit the ball, yet the ball still lands on the table.
2. A player shouts out victory before the end of the rally.
3. A player starts grunting or moaning harder and harder every time he/she hits the ball.
4. A player starts calling himself all kinds of names.
5. A player announces before the start of the rally what ball he's going to give and thus how he's going to win the rally.
6. A player starts summing up all the weaknesses of his opponent in between points.

Quite anxious about anyone else's thoughts on these situations, I must say...

TTOski
06-15-2011, 10:33 PM
One of my coahes told me that he saw someone who was only blocking, and he asked "how many times a week his opponent was training. He won the match cause his opponent totally lost his focus!

Anders
06-15-2011, 10:44 PM
I dont think it is illegal, people does this all the time.

@TTOski: Hvem var det? :P

UpSideDownCarl
06-16-2011, 06:47 AM
I think, in between points it is legal, but once the server goes to toss the ball you are not supposed to use your voice that way.

WiWa
06-16-2011, 08:48 AM
During the rally you may not talk. Points 1-3 are allowed during the rally, and all 6 points are allowed in between rallies. Although 1-3 are a bit weird to do between rallies haha. Primorac is the best example, he even goes 'uhh' when blocking or pushing. And never gets a problem with it.

But I should say some players shout victory so loud after every point, just to piss off the opponent. This is legal as well, but any player with a bit of sportsmanship doesn't do this. Nobody will like you if you do :P

snotvod
06-16-2011, 02:35 PM
What about farting ?
This year we played against another club and there was this guy who every time just before we changed side between sets, he launched something he borrowed from chemical Ali. Probably blacklisted in the category illegal chemical warfare. At first it was a laugh but it was hard to concentrate and in the end it was plain annoying.

WiWa
06-16-2011, 03:04 PM
Hahahahahahahhahaha, I don't think there is a rule for that. In the last game he would end up in his own stink though :P

YosuaYosan
06-19-2011, 02:24 PM
If its IN the rally then its completely illegal..
If you notice Chen Weixing, he never curse in a rally but AFTER the rally..