Another advice asking thread - a few months in and wanting to improve.

This user has no status.
I have watched your video and I believe there are some small changes you can do, without much training, to win a lot more matches.
Your serves are pretty good. You win many indirect points of it. (you get a weaker ball you simply can smash). But i think you should stand a bit more to you bh side after the serve that you get less balls to your weaker bh. But than you should improve your footwork to catch the balls to your deep fh.
About your bh: its not so bad that you have a weaker bh. I also do. But you try to do too much with the bh and therefore lose the point. Just play the ball back (block) and let the opponent miss. One thing that would be a huge improvement without training is the following: when they play the ball to your bh, play the ball back down the line. Most of the time players play crosscourt so the next ball will be to your better fh. You actually avoid your bh with that.

summary:
long-term strategy:
-improve footwork
-work on your bh so it will be less weak
-make the fh stronger, make a kill shot of it (specially to kill a weak third ball immediately)

short-term match tactics:
-play bh down the line to get next ball to fh
-stand more the bh side after the serve to get more third balls to the fh

I hope this will help you a bit.

Last edited:
summary:
long-term strategy:
-improve footwork
-work on your bh so it will be less weak
-make the fh more strong, make a kill shot of it (specially to kill a weak third ball immediately)

short-term match tactics:
-play bh down the line to get next ball to fh
-stand more the bh side after the serve to get more third balls to the fh

I hope this will help you a bit.

That's awesome. I hadn't thought about pushing or playing straight down their FH; I feel like I get stuck in backhand rallies. This would solve that easily.

I take your point about the position. I noticed it yesterday as I played a bit with my friend, and it's easier to dive out to FH than cover deep BH. That's really useful.

I've been working on my grip and BH lately, and I feel like I'm progressing steadily. We'll see in a while - the Semi of the tournament I'm in is next week so I'll make sure to record it!

Thank you for your feedback, it's much appreciated.

Alrighty, we played the final and I won. My opponent wasn't on his best form, he actually put me in losers bracket earlier.

I reviewed that footage and realised I returned a lot of his serves in the net, which is why you'll see me push more often than attack outright in this match.

Work Final - Saevio vs Bogman:

Last edited: