Rubber recommendation.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2015
Hello all! I love playing tabletennis. I am right now playing at a local tabletennis club, which I am playing at for 1 and a half years. At the moment I have rubbers which were second hand, to see if I like tabletennis or not. Now I know that I want to continue playing Tabletennis.

The rubbers I have are: FH: Donic Acuda S1 Turbo, BH: Donic Vario Cooper S.
The blade is: Stiga Allround Classic.

I love the frame, and I am not intending to change the blade. But especially the FH rubber is not what I am looking for. It is way too fast for me. What I am looking for is a rubber with really good spin, but quite slow, good control aswell.

For the backhand, I think I need (correct me if I am wrong) a defensive rubber, because my backhand is quite bad at the moment. I myself was looking at a Giant Dragon Submarine, really slow, but great spin.

I hope you guys can help me with finding the best rubber for me. If you have any questions that you need before you can give me a proper advice, do not hesitate and ask!

Thanks a ton,
Rob.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Before we made premature advices,

Could you describe your play style first?

At least, what strokes you usually use on forehand and backhand (block? Chop? Loop? Drive?), and,
How far your favourite distance from the table? (I prefer in walking or running step than in meters, cause Samsonov step will be far longer than Shiono)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2015
Before we made premature advices,

Could you describe your play style first?

At least, what strokes you usually use on forehand and backhand (block? Chop? Loop? Drive?), and,
How far your favourite distance from the table? (I prefer in walking or running step than in meters, cause Samsonov step will be far longer than Shiono)

I mostly loop or drive with my forehand, more looping. Blocking with forehand is what I do too.
I almost only chop with my backhand, and close to the table, trying to get it short on the table or a longer chop.

I don't know what you mean by walking / running step, so I am sorry that I can only tell you what my favourite distance is in meters. When I play backhand chop, I am almost always close to the table, like not even half a meter from the table. When I loop, I like to be like 2 meters from the table.

I hope I have answered your questions correctly. If you have any more questions, please ask them! Thanks.

This user has no status.
I dont know how you play, but according to your descriptions of what youre looking for, i will say:

DHS Hurricane 3 Neo on the FH, for it is really spinny and relatively slow. But it is very tacky so it's much more suitable for chinese styled brush-loops. Not sure how youre forehand is gonna play with it.

For your backhand, I will recommend some classic rubber such as Sriver-L or Mark V. You dont need defensive rubbers just to accomodate your sub-par backhand techniques, but it is important to get one that has good allround capabilities to allow you to develop your techniques, and those 2 stated above are just timeless classics that's very well-rounded in every aspect with today's speed glue ban (Sriver-L can be quite destructive should you decide to boost it/speedglue it)

Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
For your backhand, a slow spinny rubber, at 1.1 - 1.5 mm, either
Gambler Reflectoid
Giant Dragon Submarine
SpinLord Marder

But,

For your forehand would be rather tricky.
- Rubber to enable for easy blocking will be low spin potential, and
- Rubber for easy looping will be super difficult for blocking, and,
- Normally looper and driver rubber is quite fast, but,
- Driving demand lower spinning rubber than looping, and,
- You already said that your current rubber too fast

So, I suggest for a while, you should do forehand block less for awhile, at least when trying following rubbers, at 2.1 - 2.5 mm. Due to spinnier potential, driving will be more difficult, so you do need to learn brush looping.

Palio Wildish Dragon
Palio Hadou Biotech
Friendship/729 Faster 3 (Fenghun 3)

Brushing is a type of strokes where your hand speed fully directed to spin the ball, none for speed.

Imagine you drop the ball , keep your blade facing up, and swing to the left or right very fast. That what called brushing.

Brush loop is, a loop that implement brush style strokes. Also called Chinese Loop, cause it been popularized mostly by Chinese. Find Wang Liqin Training videos to see what kind of loop it is. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: iCupboard
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2015
[Will be updated]

For your backhand, a slow spinny rubber, at 1.1 - 1.5 mm, either
Gambler Reflectoid
Giant Dragon Submarine
SpinLord Marder

But,

For your forehand would be rather tricky.
- Rubber to enable for easy blocking will be low spin potential, and
- Rubber for easy looping will be super difficult for blocking

So, I suggest for a while, you should do forehand block less for awhile, at least when trying following rubbers.

Alright, thanks so far. Question about the backhand, which would you prefer out of the three?

About the forehand, I will look into all the rubbers. Would you please give me some easy to block with rubbers aswell? So I can take a look at both of them. Thanks!

This user has no status.
For your forehand, these two, at 1.6 to 2.0 mm, shall be good for looping, but easier for blocking due to moderate speed and spin, with medium hardness sponge. :)

Palio CJ8000 Biotech 42-44° Japanese Sponge
CTT National Hero

All answer sorted from the most recommended. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: iCupboard
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2015
Ah, no. I am sorry, I was impatient haha!
So I am almost certain I will go for the Reflectoid with 1.00 - 1.1mm thickness. Which forehand rubber would you think would work with that the best? I am looping more than I am blocking with my forehand.

Acuda turbo is indeed to fast for anyone just starting table tennis and it has certainly slowed down your improvements.
The submarine is exactly my advice for backhand. This rubber will help you to find control on your backhand strokes, one of the most forgiving rubber ever, you couldn't make a better choice.

Concerning your forehand, I won't advice you any tensionned rubber at this stage, you can go for the classics Sriver/Mark V or their chinese best "copy" of those classics : Dawei Saviga (not tacky). THe regular Saviga, not the Saviga V.

This won't cost you much (Submarine + Saviga), and it will be very very durable.

You should stay with medium hard rubbers on FH, whatever you choose, learn FH technic with medium-hard sponge, because you will have big troubles upgrading to a harder sponge later if you learn your technic on soft sponges.....and soft sponges are really "not as good" with the new ball.

I commend 1.8mm tickness both side. Not more (but not less also :D), you need to work on your touch like any developping player and the less tickness -> the better the feedback -> the better your touch will improve.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2015
Killerspintt, thanks for your recommendations! I will be choosing between the Giant Dragon Submarine or the Reflectoid. But I just looked up the Reflectoid, and it is really hard to find in my country. So I will probably get Submarine.

I am looking for a more tacky FH rubber though. Since I learned what brushlooping is, I notice that I do it quite often.

This user has no status.
Ah, no. I am sorry, I was impatient haha!
So I am almost certain I will go for the Reflectoid with 1.00 - 1.1mm thickness. Which forehand rubber would you think would work with that the best? I am looping more than I am blocking with my forehand.
I implement my answer in post #6, sorry for the inconvenience. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2015
You will implement your answer in post 6 or you have implemented? Because I think I am looking over it, it it is in there haha!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2015
I see that you yourself have a DHS Hurricane 3. Someone in this thread recommended it aswell. Why haven't you? Do you not think it will suit me?

This user has no status.
While I agree that Hurricane 3 Neo and Hurricane 3 is a great looping rubber, and even great for chopping (hence why I am using it. I am a pure chopper that only loop occasionally), they will be too awkward for driving, and blocking is almost impossible.

Furthermore, original H3 will be too slow for loopers for today standard. H3 Neo is medium speed, so I can recommend it for looper, but I am afraid it still too slow, a Huge cut off in speed compared to your Acuda, that may shall hurt your forehand efficacy. :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2015
While I agree that Hurricane 3 Neo and Hurricane 3 is a great looping rubber, and even great for chopping (hence why I am using it. I am a pure chopper that only loop occasionally), they will be too awkward for driving, and blocking is almost impossible.

Furthermore, original H3 will be too slow for loopers for today standard. H3 Neo is medium speed, so I can recommend it for looper, but I am afraid it still too slow, a Huge cut off in speed compared to your Acuda, that may shall hurt your forehand efficacy. :)

I think that rubber is not the one for me then. I hardly chop with my forehand. Mostly loop, or just block back. So then I'll have to choose between the CTT National Hero and the Palio CJ8000 rubbers, since they are best with loop and good for blocking right?

But my Acuda is too fast for me, so I am needing to go slower.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2014
Read 4 reviews
I think you should try globe 999t or three nine super 999t(second option is better) because playing with hurricane is much harder when you played with euro rubbers,throw arc is lower,so mybe you should try 999t becouse throw is higher and tackiness is same :D

P.S. You should go with max thickness becouse 2.0 will be too slow

Last edited: