Strange feeling with my blade

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Hey :)

when I was playing a tournament last week-end in Belgium, I sometimes had a strange feeling when I picked up my blade.
It felt quite bizarre. Something like: Is that your blade? Do you know that blade?
But now, when I pick it up, it feels quite good. That sort of situation also occurred a few times before.

Do you guys have encountered that sort of problem? Does it mean anything? Should I change the blade?
I play with a Stiga Optimum SYNC.

Cheers :)

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
I don't know buddy, I don't even know how to even start. I don't know if its affecting your game or the direct effect of your game play that makes you feel that way. I'm just gonna take a shot in the dark, and I'm guessing that the your current grip and weight is not to your liking. All blade types from different make have a different feel to it, though they may share the same handle type ie, flare or straight.

My team mate has been using butterfly blades since the beginning of time, and one day he picked up my Stiga, and suddenly he felt it was so comfortable. Now he uses Ebenholz VII, and his game improved by leaps and bounce.

The way I see it, the blade must be an extension of your arm, and should work as one unit. My advice, forget the current trend (blades people normally choose) and pick up the blade you are most comfortable with and up grade from there.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
yeah, at the beginning I was using an Butterfly Blade. it was too heavy. Then I changed for a Donic Blade, the worst thing happened, it broke during a game and I had to pick my old one. Then, my coach said I should try Stiga blades, because he uses them and is satisfied with them. well, when I have that sort of feeling, I need a little bit of time to get in the match, but after that path is passed, it plays very well... I'm completely confused. It also appears during the game and in the worst case, I lose the match... Seems like my blade has his own life and will :S
The trends going on don't interest me. I just want a blade which suits my game and I can improve. It doesn't matter if no one knows it :)

When I ask the coaches in my club, all they say to me is: "I don't know. It's up to you to choose your equipment. and blabla"
The funny part is that they are also coaches of the "elite" of luxembourg and there, they give them a lots of advices. Don't think that they train us in the club the same way like they do with the "elite" of luxembourg, it's the complete opposite. Anyway, that's the situation in my club from my (and some others') point of view.

I've looked up some blades that could suit.
Could you help me? Of course, if you know other blades that could suit me, please let me know :)

Donic:
- Opticon
- Epox Offensiv
- Blue Enforce

Stiga:
- Clipper
- Offensive CR WRB

Butterfly:
- Balsa Carbo X3
- Grubba Variant
- Timo Boll

Andro:
- Kinetic Supreme All+
- Kinetic Supreme Off-
- Temper Tech Off
- Temper Tech Off-
I don't really know much about the Andro blades. I've heard that they're more fragile than others.. Is that just a rumor?

Personally, I've got a Donic Opticon at home. A friend of mine who stopped playing gave it to me and said that maybe I could use it.

Cheers :)

Mar 2011
From the lists, I can see that you are missing out DHS and Cornilleau. DHS Hurricane is a wicked blade.This is one of the top-of-the-range DHS blades, and probably their most famous. Well known for great offensive power but still with great feel and control. The blade is well known to be very similar to the famous Stiga OC with a flared master handle. The craftman's ship of this blade is excellent, and has great ergonomics.
I used to use it and won numerous tournaments, but since Wang Liqin himself signed the blade, I have retired it.
About your coaches attitude, it's pretty much the same all over the world, especially in China. In a way, they were quite right, coz we are talking about your comfortability with the blade here, not your current performance. If it's about your performance, maybe they can recommend a few blades for you, and rubbers to go with it. But in this case, they do not want to commit themselves coz it's concerning your comfortability...maybe.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Also supposedly the "wand chooses the wizard " .... rhydian ..on a saner note if it is starting to work for you after the first couple of games you might want to warm up a little more than usual ... it might not be your blade after all.. what I feel is since this is such a technical sport .. if your form is off in some days and you are more analytical than others you tend to find faults will small things ... why change something if it ain't broke ... meaning I would go for a change if I feel bad consistently enough with the blade

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Well until now I didn't have a chance to try it out because noboydy wants to play anymore -.-
Perhaps I can convince my girlfriend :D
Nevertheless, until that feeling, it was a pretty good blade, great feeling and control. Maybe it was just a period or a lack of warm up..
After that, did you change blade? @TTStefanoT05FX

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
yeah, of course... But last year it wasn't like that and I've reached the quarterfinals (and lost after an epic match 3-2) and I played the same blade and rubbers (of course, the rubbers this year were the same but newer than last year ^^)
I'll ask my girlfriend very gently if she wants to practice with me ^^