Rubber change or stay with the same?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Hey guys,

Actually I play with Tenergy 05 on my forehand and Coppa J.O Platin on my backhand.
It's time for me to change rubbers.
Here comes my playing style:

Forehand:
I'm practicing forehand serves so in the future I'll do more forehand serves.
When the ball comes short, there's two possibilities: I give back short or I give a strong push to my opponents body (I can't flick ^^ but I'll practice it ^^)
When the ball comes long, with very much underspin, I play a spinny topspin (good placed) on the table. When the ball comes with not so much underspin I try to get my opponent under pressure and try do make the point.
When the opponent attacks, if I can't counter attack, I'll block ^^

Backhand:
At the moment I do more backhand serves than forehand serves. My serves should get a lot of spin.
My backhand is a little more passive than my forehand.
When the ball comes short, I try to flick or I give back short or I push hard (the same with forehand).
As I'm practicing my backhand topspin, when the ball comes long, I try to play a spinny backhand topspin. When I don't, then I play an effective push.
I block really good with my backhand. The countertopspin is in progress ^^

That's my play in general. I think you probably know that my backhand is the construction zone ;)

Suited rubbers:
I haven't found yet but as I go searching, I'll post my suggestions here and wait for your critical argumentation :)
You can also recommend some rubbers, that would be very kind,
Don't recommend Tenergy. It's a good rubber but too expensive ^^

Cheers :)

P.S.: my blade is Stiga Optimum SYNC (if you want, go see the thread I've posted in the blade section and help me out there aswell :)

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
I'm more bias towards Stiga & Xiom, therefore I'm suggesting you Stiga Boost (FH) and Xiom Vega Pro (BH). There are a few Boosts that you may choose, from Boosts TS (softest) to TX (hardest). I find they offers excellent control. Same goes to Xiom..price wise, they are very competitive and offers good value for money.
My blades are Optimum Carbo and NCT Hybrid from Stiga.

Mar 2011
Interesting Anders, and since you are using both Calibra and Boost, I'm just wondering if you may give me some insights on the these 2 rubbers, the Boosts TP and Calibra LT. I'm thinking of changing my Boosts TP (FH) to Calibra LT, not so much as to improve my game, but out of curiosity. Any views from anyone will be appreciated in fact, especially those who are very familiar with these rubbers. Thx

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Thanks!
I've made a list of rubbers that I might choose. Your (azlan's) suggestion is also there.
Here it goes:
Xiom:
- Omega IV Europe
- Vega Elite
- Vega Pro

Andro:
- Hexer

Donic:
- Acuda S2
- Acuda S3
- Coppa
- Coppa J.O. Platin

Joola:
- Brave
- Express 2
- Express x-plode
- Phenix

DHS:
- Neo Skyline 2 TG2

Stiga:
- Boost TX
- Boost TS
- Magna TS II

Which of them are the best suited?
Personnaly I thought about:
Backhand: Donic Acuda S3 (or maybe S2), Stiga Boost TS, Xiom Vega Pro (isn't that too fast for my not so good Backhand?)
Forehand: Xiom Vega Pro, Donic Coppa J.O Platin, Joola X-Plode, Stiga Magna TS II

Mar 2011
Thats quite an extensive selection, and I enjoyed looking through the lists. But I'm wondering if you or anyone can give me the characteristics of Calibra LT in comparison with Boosts TP & TX.....Seems that Stiga will be launching Calibra LT Spin & Calibra LT Plus soon.

says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
The Calibra LT Sound and Calibra LT has a longer trajectory so that you can stand far away from the table and still hit really fast balls with tons of spin.

Boost TP = very hard sponge

Boost TX = Medium hard sponge

Calibra LT = Medium sponge

Calibra LT Sound = Soft sponge

Personally I like the TX best for the forehand because its the one with the most spin amongst the four rubbers mentioned. It also has excellent touch when serving.

The Calibra LT Sound suits my backhand nice because I can do anything with it. Super offensive, defensive, block, push, flick, loop, anything.

I do not know your style Azlan, so I cant say if it fits you.. But if you are about to switch from TP to a rubber that is a tad softer, start with the TX so that the change is not too big :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
After the first round of struggling with myself, I came up with these here:

Donic:
- Acuda S2

Xiom:
- Omega IV Europe
- Vega Pro

Stiga:
- Boost TS

Joola: I don't find many reviews from these rubbers. Maybe some of you can help me?
- Brave
- Express 2
- Express X-Plode
- Phenix

At the moment, I'm tending to:
FH: Xiom Omega IV Europe or Vega Pro (and maybe Joola Express X-Plode but I don't find many reviews..)
BH: Donic Acuda S2, Stiga Boost TS

What do you think?
Do you know another rubber that I didn't mention and which can suit me? Then tell me :D

says Begonnen bij TTC Damme, vorig jaar bij TTC Pipolic en nu...
May 2011
You have a personal grudge with Tibhar?
I play Tibhar and I love their rubbers.

Nothing personal, just curious why Tibhar is excluded from your list...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Look into Tibhar Genius. It is fairly cheap on Amazon and I play it on both forehand and backhand. It has a slightly tacky topsheet that I can get a lot of spin on serves and its perfect for mid distance off the table loops. I used to use Tibhar Nimbus before this and Geospin tacky before that and so far this has been the best rubber I've had.

Mar 2011
Actually, its kinda true rhydian, tibhar have some really good rubbers which are right up your alley. You should definitely try genius and nimbus along with xiom vega.

Btw, thx Anders. It was very good info that you gave me. About my game, I'm all out offence. 2nd and 3rd ball attack. Anything slightly high or long, I will attack. I like playing a couple of feet away frm the table, or really far, and will try to finish the points asap. So far, my game is fine, just that I wanna try out the Calibra LTs. I have a looping BH, but my FH is sharp, keeping the ball low a couple of cm above the net, regardless how far I am from the table. I have a full swing FH, and it's always 110%... :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
so Rhy I can help you I play the normal Genius on my fh it is a very good rubber for loops and topspins
the balljump ( i dont know the english expression, hope you understand) is very high like the tenergy 05
you can get a lot of spin in your serves and topspins, a little bit less than t05 but no rubber can produce so much spin like the t05 atm

the difference between normal genius and genius +optimum: the normal genius has a higher ball jump and so it's better for topspins against backspin, the consequence is that the optimum rubber is better for counterloops (still the optimum has a high ball jump but not that high like the normal genius)

besides I would test the Tibhar Aurus( never tested it but read about it in a german forum and it get amazing reviews! really)
it is a topspin rubber and very good for all kinds of topspins (against backspin, block, for countertopspin)
the balljump is a little bit flatter than t05 spin is very good

comparison:

balljump: Genius >= T05 > Aurus
Spin : T05 >= Aurus > Genius ( but with all rubbers high spin is possible)
dynamic: Aurus = Genius > T05
Speed : Topspin: T05 fastest Genius and Aurus very fast too (if you have the right technique you will get the most spin with T05)
Hardness: Aurus>T05>Genius (Genius is medium)

so the Aurus is a newer version of the genius with a lower ball jump but good for all kinds of topspins and it is very hard

--> If I were you I would test the Genius and Aurus

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Thanks! The Aurus sounds really good. If I'm not mistaken, the Aurus Sound is a little bit softier than the Aurus ?

Again, I proceeded through elimination of rubbers and the remaining are:
Xiom:
- Omega IV Europe
- Vega Pro

Donic:
- Acuda S2

Joola:
- X-plode

Stiga:
- Boost TS

Tibhar;
- Aurus or Aurus Sound

Do you know something about the durability of these rubbers?
Hm, which ones should I pick...
What would you propose? Which one for FH and BH?

Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
Azlan: Glad to hear I can help you :) Your playing style sounds just as myself, all out offence. I would recommend the Calibra LT Sound for the backhand, because you can do almost anything you want to with this rubber. For my forehand, I like Boost TX the best, it does not have the same type of trajectory as the Calibra, but its still quiet fast and has excellent touch in the short-short game to! And of course, lots of spin :p

May 2011
Hi

I just received my first Aurus Soft rubber, trying it out coming Thursday or Friday (been training 3 days in a row now and I'm exhausted :) )

I play Aurus Sound 2.1 on FH now and 1.9 on BH and I'm very pleased with it. I wonder how the Soft will feel compared to the 'sound' version.
The cool thing about the Aurus is the price! At €36.90 it's certainly one of the cheapest European New Generation Rubbers around.
For my full review on the Aurus sound, check this thread: http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?929-A-Tibhar-Aurus-Sound-review-for-you-all