New Viscaria vs Old Viscaria

says https://www.facebook.com/eduardo.eduard.33/videos/vb.1000...
Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
Hi people :D

I recently tried a friend's Viscaria with butterfly old tag, but also a Zhang Jike Off(first one). But they feel so different. Old Viscaria is so active, nice speed, nice control, a good blade overall. With Zhang Jike Off, it felt a dead feel, a bit of control but no speed, no feel. I'm concerning to buy a new Viscaria to upgrade from my Timo Boll ALC, but in some forums i saw that old Viscaria's are much different than the newer Viscarias. So new Viscaria has that dead feeling like Zhang Jike Off??

Ps.:Tested Viscaria with Vega Pro in Forehand. I don't remember backhand rubber. In Zhang Jike Off, Rasant Powergrip in fh, and Rasant Grip in bh

The more old, the more soft the blade becomes and this is why people tends to have far better feeling with old viscarias because its.........softer than new ones. All Black tags are "old" today. Not mentionning that water based glue soften the wood also.

Also there is a huge difference between two ZJK, just like there is between two viscarias or two TBS. I own two ZJK (blue dragon), one is just like my viscaria (new tag), the other is much much more powerfull, faster, larger sweet sport and to me a much better feeling also......despite being lighter than my other alc blades.....I will swtich to this one for the plastic ball maybe.

Two wood pieces are never exactly the same.

You might try a new viscaria, like it, and you might dislike the viscaria you will actually by......
New viscaria/tbs/tbalc/Zjk/Zjkalc....the name doesn't matters here, any of those blade can feel like the Zjk you tried, any of those blade can feel like your present TBalc and any of those blade might feel even better than you TBalc.......but if you buy it new, there is no chance it will feed like the old viscaria you tried.

Last edited:
Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
The more old, the more soft the blade becomes and this is why people tends to have far better feeling with old viscarias because its.........softer than new ones. All Black tags are "old" today. Not mentionning that water based glue soften the wood also.

Also there is a huge difference between two ZJK, just like there is between two viscarias or two TBS. I own two ZJK (blue dragon), one is just like my viscaria (new tag), the other is much much more powerfull, faster, larger sweet sport and to me a much better feeling also......despite being lighter than my other alc blades.....I will swtich to this one for the plastic ball maybe.

You might try a new viscaria, like it, and you might dislike the viscaria you will actually by......
New viscaria/tbs/tbalc/Zjk/Zjkalc....the name doesn't matters here, any of those blade can feel like the Zjk you tried, any of those blade can feel like your present TBalc and any of those blade might feel even better than you TBalc.......but if you buy it new, there is no chance it will feed like the old viscaria you tried.

Useful Reply, killerspintt! Thanks :D

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
KSP gave a very lucid explanation of WHY... but the MASTER of Viscaria, the mighty BAAL has yet to weigh in.

Yet, he might not weigh in, because he sees such a question several times a year on the several forums he is a member or a mod.

Baal has operated the Viscaria for longer than deep double digit percentage of forum members have been ALIVE.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2012

this is all so true, i recently in the past 8 months have bought 3 viscaria's.

all 3 from butterflyonline

first one was really powerful
second one was flexy
3rd was some where in between

also i bought a Timoboll ALC and it was so powerful and fast i didn't match what the viscaria's felt like.

anyway... i sold all my butterfly blades and switched to stiga clippers woods

the main reason is the butterfly handles are all too small, and thin. stiga handles are superior and the clipper has such a sweet feel and power ratio plus the weight of the clipper is what the poly ball is requiring IMHO.

so yes.. even at the highest level maker of blades, in this case butterfly, all 3 of my viscaria's felt different and i am very critical of my equipment.

btw i play in the usa and my rating is some where around 2130 - 2180 - just if you are wondering what level i play at.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I will one day sell the Phamster on the idea of filling in his hollowed handle Clipper to upgrade it to moar Beast Mode.

Der_Echte, I would love to see you playing with a Clipper with your modification done to it. That would be great. I would love to try the blade too.

I have one Clipper I could do it to, but, it is a bit too light so it doesn't really play like a REAL Clipper. It is only 91 grams and the one I used to have that was 95 grams was sooooo much better. If we filled the handle on that one it would play amazing.

95 grams is a good weight for a blade. Then if you have a Clipper that is 95 grams and you add 10 grams to the handle so it is handle heavy and weighs 105, that would play like a beast.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
If I remember to toss in my wood glue into the TT bag, I can always depend on the Philly Goon Squad to quickly produce a sharp blade for me (to remove the handle). I can always pick up small metal pieces from the sidewalks, that could count as sustainable management and neighborhood upkeep.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I though that is why Carl was given two rows of teeth...

I sometimes use a clamp, sometimes, just hold it in hand until it sets good enough then wrap grip tape over it and call it a day until it is set by the next day.

One time in Korea, I did this mod to one of the 896 Carl tried out and I played it 1 hr after I glued it back together, I used grip tape, it might be the one with Sigma Euro and H3...

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I bet leaving it clamped for a day would make it so you can glue it back perfectly and not be able to feel that it was taken apart. You don't need that because you like grip tape on your handle. I like having wood with no grip tape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 19 reviews

Wonderful post!