Looking for new BH rubber with lots of Control

This user has no status.
Hi guys,

I was wondering if you could help me with the following.

I am looking for over a few weeks now what would be the best rubber for me on my BH. But with all the possible rubbers out there right now, it is just difficult to choose.
I am quite sure this question has been asked many times before, but maybe you can give me some good advise.

Currently I am playing with a DHS Hurricane Long 5 blade and with an Andro Impuls Powersponge 1.8 mm on my BH.
I am a FH focussed player (DHS Hurricane 8, 2.2 mm on my FH) and use my BH mainly for blocking and pushing close to the table. Sometimes I open with my BH.
I still make too many errors with my BH for easy blocking and/ or pushing.

What would be the best BH rubber, that gives you lots of control for easy blocking and pushing?
I wouldn't mind if that rubber is less in topspin, as long as I will get better control!

Of course I know that this is for every player different and down to proper technique, but maybe you can give some possibilities that will make my decision a bit easier and I can try that rubber out.

Thanks!

Sander
The Netherlands

This user has no status.
Im sorry but Andro Impuls Powersponge is one of the most controllable rubbers out there, especially for just keeping the ball into play (blocking pushing and stuff). Perhaps the blade is too fast for you or you just have to develop your backhand more.

Maybe because of the rubber beeing this thin and soft ur getting your blade involved too much so maybe a thicker version will solve this.

This user has no status.
Well I think on this kind of blade max thicknes is the only option (for impuls powersponge).

I think Andro Hexer/ Hexer + can be a good one as well.

Hexer + is a bit harder and Hexer has medium hardnes but they are still controllable rubbers. Not too sure if its good for you with a fast blade like Hirricane long 5.

i currently have big dipper 30degree on my backhand and it works pretty well, however i will be trying out 729 battle 2 as well. please don't take the "chinese rubbers are not good on the backhand" as gospel, you should try some out as they most certainly have a better short game than pretty much any esn or non-traditional sponge rubber (i used to use donic coppa x3 silver on my backhand and absolutely hated it for the short game as it was way too bouncy, tried out moon pro and for the old ball it was pretty damn good). the other nice thing about chinese style rubbers is that they are usually pretty cheap and usually last fairly well (compared to a lot of the modern esn/spring sponge type rubbers).

it would serve you better to test stuff out yourself as nobody knows your game (or plays your game) like you do :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Look, in spite of all the comments on a smooth rubber that you could use, it sounds like you might do well with long pips for your backhand. You may as well make your weakness an advantage.

If you said you punch blocked with your BH and made a lot of fast shots I might say short pips. But the way you describe your BH, you should try long pips.

It takes a little bit to feel how to use them. If you are just putting the ball back in play with your BH then long pips will give you an advantage in doing that in a way that makes your returns mores challenging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
Update

Until recently I believed "the more thinner the sponge, the more control this will give".
The comment from a few of you that it might be too thin (especially on this rather fast blade) that I should try a thicker rubber really got me thinking...
Also, some of you mentioned also that the Andro Impuls Powersonge should have a lot of control.

I had an 'old' (still tacky though and not worn) FH rubber Andro Impuls Powersponge 2.2 mm lying around, so I tried that yesterday...

I was definitely positive surprised by that - I thought everything would bounce off of my rubber during blocking and pushing, but that was not the case... at all!

The open-ups was easier (not just flying of the table and too long every time), but still very controllable. I could really feel the dwell time, due to the thicker sponge.
Pushing the ball was a minor adjustment (at the beginning some too long), but I got quite fast used to that.
Blocking was my biggest surprise - the first blocks were at first too short and into the net... LOL. So as soon as I had that I knew the thicker spong was a good advice! After a little while I could (more) easily block fast and heavy topspins. Also here the dwell time was much better and therefore easier.
Only for my backspins I had to adjust a bit more (still sometimes too long), but after just 1 practice I believe that will also be better next time (just have to make my 'stroke' a little bit shorter).

So I definitely will be trying this thicker sponge for the next few weeks in order to find out if this will be the key to a better and more controllable BH. :)

Thanks for the comments and suggestion to try that out!!

Cheers

This user has no status.
Update

Until recently I believed "the more thinner the sponge, the more control this will give".
The comment from a few of you that it might be too thin (especially on this rather fast blade) that I should try a thicker rubber really got me thinking...
Also, some of you mentioned also that the Andro Impuls Powersonge should have a lot of control.

I had an 'old' (still tacky though and not worn) FH rubber Andro Impuls Powersponge 2.2 mm lying around, so I tried that yesterday...

I was definitely positive surprised by that - I thought everything would bounce off of my rubber during blocking and pushing, but that was not the case... at all!

The open-ups was easier (not just flying of the table and too long every time), but still very controllable. I could really feel the dwell time, due to the thicker sponge.
Pushing the ball was a minor adjustment (at the beginning some too long), but I got quite fast used to that.
Blocking was my biggest surprise - the first blocks were at first too short and into the net... LOL. So as soon as I had that I knew the thicker spong was a good advice! After a little while I could (more) easily block fast and heavy topspins. Also here the dwell time was much better and therefore easier.
Only for my backspins I had to adjust a bit more (still sometimes too long), but after just 1 practice I believe that will also be better next time (just have to make my 'stroke' a little bit shorter).

So I definitely will be trying this thicker sponge for the next few weeks in order to find out if this will be the key to a better and more controllable BH. :)

Thanks for the comments and suggestion to try that out!!

Cheers

Glad it is working. Once you perfected your technique you can play with any backhand rubber you would like. But I suggest you to stay with this rubber for a while and really focus on gettibgthe technique right ;)