The Other Rubber Recommendation Thread

This user has no status.
Hi, I'm just getting back to table tennis after a break that lasted more than a decade. I'm currently using basic equipment: friendship 729 RITC rubbers (a lot of control, decent spin but no speed) for both FH an BH and after a number of sessions of getting back into the swing of things I feel there is a major need for an upgrade.

I think I have a strong backhand that (for now) combines both precision and strength (maybe I'll be sacrificing a bit of control for more strength if I go for a more offense oriented rubber?). But on my forehand I seem to commit many errors on my topspin strokes possibly because I have to put in extra effort with a rubber that's got no speed and end up hitting the ball with the edge of the racket 20% of the time.

What would you recommend as a transition from my current rubbers? (doesn't matter if you just name them so I can look them up). I have little knowledge of what is available nowadays as I played competitively when I was a preteen/teen and mostly with cheap equipment. I would like to keep the same level of control, but more speed. Also, is it difficult to get used to and play with different rubbers on BH and FH because I would imagine you have to learn to adapt the amount of power you put in each?

Thanks.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Very easy to have and be used to different rubbers on FH and BH. At least in my opinion. They are such different strokes that you should not even notice the power differential from the rubbers unless it is really drastic. But once you are used to them they will both feel normal. Unless, of course, you accidentally switch which rubber you use for FH and BH.

Also, if your technique is decent, you may as well just go for the top of the line stuff. If your technique is decent it won't take you long to get used to them. Any top of the line rubbers from any of the major TT companies are going to have good speed and control.

Evolution
Rasant
Rhyzm
Victas
Blue Fire
Tenergy

All are good and each has many variations (all of which are good as well). Close your eyes, point, and get the one your finger lands on. It will be good. Your game and technique will adjust to the upgrade quickly. And it will make you love playing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk