says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
Hey everyone,

On our travels with STIGA to visit the Chinese National Team Centre we managed to record Ma Long during one of his serve practice sessions. Ma Long focussed on the reverse serve.

Check out the spin and placement of serve below.

Watch episode 4 from the STIGA TTD video series which features more videos from the training hall at the Chinese National Team training centre.

Watch the full video series from our visit to the Chinese National Training Centre here.

What do you think of Ma Long serving? We hope you have learned something.

This user has no status.
What scares me about this serve is that it comes at you fast, but slows down right towards the end and catches the second bounce right at the edge of the table (giving the illusion of a deep serve going long/over). I would read it wrong every single time and try to loop/lift the underspin yet wind up banging my paddle on the table.

Reactions: Dan

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
What scares me about this serve is that it comes at you fast, but slows down right towards the end and catches the second bounce right at the edge of the table (giving the illusion of a deep serve going long/over). I would read it wrong every single time and try to loop/lift the underspin yet wind up banging my paddle on the table.

I totally agree fais! They are coming in at a great speed which makes your opponent have to think quickly whether its coming long or short, which causes mis reads. I think the serve at 52 seconds is very impressive, coming in at great speed but still bounces twice. I love the action in the way he does this serve to, the use of his wrist is very fast.

Reactions: fais
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2012
@ Dan,

thank you for this very cool video..

the effort you put into recording is fantastic... you give us all a peek into what is happening..

most people would be in that area just in awe and just to watch but would not bother to record the action.... you seem to have a follow and nack to record this type of "action" for us! <-- thanks for all the footage you provide for us.. :)

now back to his serves...

good ness they all but one double bounced right at the very edge.. and the hook spin that is on them after it hits the 2nd bounce really goes sideways :)

quality quality and more quality that is why he is worlds number one !

keep up the great work dan

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Dan, I have a question..
Did he used the whole bucket of balls during this training session?

Hey Michal,

He used a lot of the balls but didn't get through them all. The bucket of balls are huge right!? They used these buckets during multi ball sessions/serve sessions.

@ Dan,

thank you for this very cool video..

the effort you put into recording is fantastic... you give us all a peek into what is happening..

most people would be in that area just in awe and just to watch but would not bother to record the action.... you seem to have a follow and nack to record this type of "action" for us! <-- thanks for all the footage you provide for us.. :)

now back to his serves...

good ness they all but one double bounced right at the very edge.. and the hook spin that is on them after it hits the 2nd bounce really goes sideways :)

quality quality and more quality that is why he is worlds number one !

keep up the great work dan

Hey phamster! Thanks for the kind comments, I am happy you like the footage I record. Yes you are right, sometimes it is very distracting and hard to record when I want to watch it personally, but I really like capturing stuff to watch and analyse later on, and of course to share to you guys which I know you all appreciate!

Totally, the spin and placement is absolute perfection! Take care!

What a precise placement. Wow. Now i really wanna work on mine... :)
Thanks a lot, Dan. Great capture. Beautiful

I am glad this has inspired you, serve well, take your time :)

Reactions: Michal_Z and Suga D