Look at this amazing backhand receive

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Not to put a damper on things but....the ball is being hit to him, I mean right to him. He knows where it is going and he does not have to move to set up the shot. It is still a really nice backhand. But look at the one ball that goes just a little too short. Why didn't he move in and take it over the table. That is an over the table shot in the first place. All he needed to do was move in a little and bring his body over the table. But instead he just lifted it back because it wasn't in the right place.

The top pros are coming from the backhand side to the middle of the table or even the forehand side to take that shot without knowing where the ball was going before it was hit. They don't start standing on the forehand side waiting for the ball. And yes, this guy is lefty so he is standing on his forehand side waiting for the ball.

All that being said, it is good technique, and I am sure in a real match play situation he can move to the ball and take the shot. But it is funny how in this situation where you don't have to pay as much attention, one shorter ball did mess him up. His brain was not ready for it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
Not to put a damper on things but....the ball is being hit to him, I mean right to him. He knows where it is going and he does not have to move to set up the shot. It is still a really nice backhand. But look at the one ball that goes just a little too short. Why didn't he move in and take it over the table. That is an over the table shot in the first place. All he needed to do was move in a little and bring his body over the table. But instead he just lifted it back because it wasn't in the right place.

The top pros are coming from the backhand side to the middle of the table or even the forehand side to take that shot without knowing where the ball was going before it was hit. They don't start standing on the forehand side waiting for the ball. And yes, this guy is lefty so he is standing on his forehand side waiting for the ball.

All that being said, it is good technique, and I am sure in a real match play situation he can move to the ball and take the shot. But it is funny how in this situation where you don't have to pay as much attention, one shorter ball did mess him up. His brain was not ready for it.

Actually not need to be pro, but a much trained player. I had a practice with one chinese guy (I put chinese since he really from China, but not like Singapore/Malaysia chinese over my place). When we start to play a practice match, even i serve short to both his bh or fh, he just able to move so fast and flick it back with a high quality ball. Thats including I serve both underspin or sidespin.

But the drawback of this is if you mix it with long fast serve, then they will get messed up

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
What many people forget when they are executing a backhand flip is that the basics are the same as a backhand loop against backspin. The only things that are really diffent are the timing of hitting the ball (which is earlier) and the way you use your wrist (you need to get more upward momentum from the wrist since you cant go as far down with your arm)