Noob confused aims for help

This user has no status.
First of all, let me clearify that Im new in the TT world and I will begin to train and play soon so I don't know as much as I would like to so, sorry in advance if my question may sound quite ridiculous.

I am confused when identifying "Backhand Rubber, Forehand Rubber vs Forehand and Backhand".

The Backhand Rubber is "the black one" but is located in the forehand.

The Forehand Rubber is "the red one" but is located in the backhand.

Why is this mixed?

I have seen that most of the pro players use the black rubber for their forehand loops etc and the red rubber for their backhand kicks. Whereas, there are some coaches and other people who plays the other way round and uses the red ruber for their forehand moves.

Thank you in advance and sorry again if my question sounds weird...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
I suppose you are talking about the profile rubbers of a user in TTD.

There is no specific reason for why most of the players in general are using red on bh and black on fh. It is just a matter of preference and most people like the fh rubber to be black. Some people believe that black rubbers produce more spin which is completely false, it is the same rubber but with different dye color

So the question "why is this mixed" is not of significant importance since it doesnt make any difference which rubber color you use for your BH or FH

There is no such thing such as FH or BH rubber, some rubbers match better for your FH and not your BH and vice versa and off course many players use the same rubber FH and BH. In the end you must use the rubber tha suits you the most no matter what other people say

says https://www.facebook.com/eduardo.eduard.33/videos/vb.1000...
Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
I suppose you are talking about the profile rubbers of a user in TTD.

There is no specific reason for why most of the players in general are using red on bh and black on fh. It is just a matter of preference and most people like the fh rubber to be black. Some people believe that black rubbers produce more spin which is completely false, it is the same rubber but with different dye color

So the question "why is this mixed" is not of significant importance since it doesnt make any difference which rubber color you use for your BH or FH

There is no such thing such as FH or BH rubber, some rubbers match better for your FH and not your BH and vice versa and off course many players use the same rubber FH and BH. In the end you must use the rubber tha suits you the most no matter what other people say

Hi TTFrenzy,

I have a doubt, I tought that all rubbers were produced in black color, and for making red ones, they go throug some process that they loss some of his tackiness. I saw that in one site a long time ago, isn't that true?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hi TTFrenzy,

I have a doubt, I tought that all rubbers were produced in black color, and for making red ones, they go throug some process that they loss some of his tackiness. I saw that in one site a long time ago, isn't that true?

There is a myth that goes something like that.

However, ALL rubbers are dyed. Without the dye the rubbers would be the same color as rubber cement: a semi clear non-color. There is no reason why the black dye is any better than the red or vice-versa. Technology is such that they can make dyes that are equal for black and red.

This story was mainly about rubbers from DHS and the reason, most of the CNT team use black for FH. Back in the stone ages, when I was a kid there was a similar myth about the red rubber. It went something like this: the red rubber is for the FH because it is faster.

If the rubber is the same, the color really doesn't affect performance. So a red Tenergy 05 will play the same as a black Tenergy 05. Differences in performance are more due to how long the rubber was sitting on the shelf in the factory or store: not the color of the rubber.

Same with a DHS Hurricane III NEO (Commercial, Provincial or National): as long as the rubbers are the same version, and approximately the same age, and there is no manufacturing defect in one of the two rubbers, red and black will play the same.

People who claim otherwise either are feeling a placebo effect, or one of the two rubbers was significantly older or from a bad batch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
There is a myth that goes something like that.

However, ALL rubbers are dyed. Without the dye the rubbers would be the same color as rubber cement: a semi clear non-color. There is no reason why the black dye is any better than the red or vice-versa. Technology is such that they can make dyes that are equal for black and red.

This story was mainly about rubbers from DHS and the reason, most of the CNT team use black for FH. Back in the stone ages, when I was a kid there was a similar myth about the red rubber. It went something like this: the red rubber is for the FH because it is faster.

If the rubber is the same, the color really doesn't affect performance. So a red Tenergy 05 will play the same as a black Tenergy 05. Differences in performance are more due to how long the rubber was sitting on the shelf in the factory or store: not the color of the rubber.

Same with a DHS Hurricane III NEO (Commercial, Provincial or National): as long as the rubbers are the same version, and approximately the same age, and there is no manufacturing defect in one of the two rubbers, red and black will play the same.

People who claim otherwise either are feeling a placebo effect, or one of the two rubbers was significantly older or from a bad batch.

Thanks Carl ;)

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
I must confess I'm still a noob myself and I'm sure Carl knows more here and is 95% correct especially with high end rubbers (in fact you see many euro players playing red with there forehand). But I just wanted to add that I have still have seen several people even people that deal with equipment as there job given advise and would know say some Chinese black rubbers are still a bit tacker especially some economically friendly products such as friendship, Dawei and 999 rubbers. This may not be the case with dhs products since they are very big company and have high quality control etc. but I have experienced this recently myself to a small degree with the above mentioned brands, although the difference is not as great as some reviews would lead you to believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Here is the dilly deal. First, the Chinese companies all have varied tiers of quality control.

The Commercial H3 is the stuff that was rejected because it didn't pass quality control for Provincial. The Provincial was rejected because it didn't pass quality control for National.

A lot of the blades that have letter and/or number names that are very inexpensive from DHS are often rejected blades from more expensive models. Everything gets marketed and sold.

Also, different batches are different. And rubber ages and degrades as it gets older. So if you bought a Red H3 from a batch just produced right off the press and a Black H3 that was made in a batch 3 years ago, the Red one will definitely play better. Unfortunately DHS sells 50x more Black rubbers than Red. So the ones that are usually older, are the Red ones. The rest of that is the placebo effect.

But I will tell you why I use a black rubber for my forehand even though I use German Tensor rubbers. The black is a very slight bit harder for people to see the exact angle of the blade face when you are serving. In that brief moment during the serve when your racket moves from behind your back to contact the ball, it is just a fraction harder to read the spin off a black rubber.

As far as Pro and National versions, without the secret handshake, forget-about-it (pronounced fogeddaboudit). Trying that is like asking the goon squad to take you down with no remorse. If you don't know how to spot and trap a goon squad member then trying to locate pro and national products is like trying to find a needle in a haystack that has no needles in it.

Just look at Suga D! He almost got himself in trouble by trying to acquire a Pro version Stiga Infinty. Der_Echte and NextLevel saved him from the goon squad and now he's being re-educated in secret hideout. So he can rejoin the TT world and not have a relapse.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Well, just one thing. Light affects everything, and red decays faster and black absorb light. So, like in the colour of cars, it is possible that a red rubber lose it's properties faster than the black one, just because the dye will be affected by light.

If the black absorbs the light and the red reflects more of the light, wouldn't the black rubber be more affected by that? And aren't you not supposed to expose your rubbers to sunlight? Lamp light is not going to cause the rubber to break down. Your sweat and the chemicals in rubber cleaners break down your rubber faster than indoor lighting will. Also, oxogen breaks down rubber. That is why, a rubber that was sitting on a shelf in a store or factory for 3 years, even though it has never been used will not play as well as the same rubber just off the assembly line.

Reactions: BeGo and karan705
This user has no status.
Wow! Let the science flow! Well, all those points are correct. But the reaction due to light is at very less levels,may be at micro level. The chemical reaction affects more than light,if you play more. And anyway, the tubelight or lamp light has very less intensity in lumens,compared to sun rays. Hence the effect is less(even than chemical reaxn). Now, ideally speaking, all those rubbers are factory made, so they should not have much differnce. May have at micro level,but at that level, everything is different from other.
If some company manufactures rubbers such that black and red rubbers have different property, then its different story.
Now why sometimes we think is black is more dense than red rubber is because of the colour. Black doesn't reflect light, hence we think the sponge is denser, but actually the property is due to dye used.
Now,personal suggestion is that if the manufacturer is making both rubbers similarly, then no difference is there in playing characteristics. Hence choose the side whatever you feel comfortable. Think of the player you idolise and you are done.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
Carl and achalwins94, if the rubbers are equal, made at the same time, using the same rubbers, the only difference is the dye.

Assuming that both rubbers have the same contact with oxygen, heat, humidity, etc. the only difference is how both react to light.
I really don't know how much it affects, and if it is something noticeable. What i am sure, is that red is one of the fastest decaying colours and even the inside lights have radiation enough to decay colours.

Now, we can say that it only affect the dye, but if the mix of dye and rubber is homogeneous, then, it's impossible that the rubber isn't affected as much.

Do i think it's something perceptible? No.
I think if the rubbers are different, it's most likely because they are from different batches. But i'm not gonna say that light isn't a factor.