Preferences - Sponge thickness vs hardness

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
When learning or perfecting my technique I prefer soft rubbers blades cause they have better feel.

Recently I tried changing from a softer blade (osp virtuoso- + T05 FX) on bh, to a korbel with T05. Now since I have almost perfect timing on my BH and my technique is solid compared to before I would say T05 (harder) is way better because for the same stroke my BH gets more spin and speed thus landing further on the table creating more pressure

I believe this is one of the reasons that most of the pros use T05 and not the FX version, given the same stroke they acquire more pressure with a harder rubber

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Properties of the TOPSHEET are equally if not MOAR important.

If you like to flip softly or spin the daylights out the ball or like to counterloop, then you would REALLY value a topsheet that is extreme elastic and not rock hard.

The topsheet and sponge work together. So does the topsheet/sponge combo and BLADE.

I prefer highly elastic topsheets and mid firm (or mid soft depending on your idea of what is soft) sponges for FH and I can get by with about anything on BH, but mid firm is good there too.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I always like Max sponge on both sides. I agree with what Der_Echte said about the topsheet being important too. I want the be able to get the ball to sink more so I can use the sponge more when I dig into the ball. I like rubber about the hardness of T05 on FH and a tiny bit softer on BH although recently I am seeing that I can use the same rubber for FH and BH pretty effectively even though I still like the BH rubber to be just slightly softer. I have found T05 FH and T05FX for BH works well. I have also found T05 FH with T64 on BH works really well. With the Victas I am using Stiff is good on FH but the Limber was too soft. regular Victas (M, not Limber or Stiff) seems to work, but so does Stiff for both sides because they are not that hard.

The Tibhar Evolution MX-P also felt good for FH. Not sure what would feel best from those rubbers though since I've only tried MX-P. But it was fine for either FH or BH for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

says Xxxxxz
says Xxxxxz
Jan 2015
Currently playing with 1.5mm soft sponge on the FH and a long pips on the back hand that has 0.5mm sponge...but not sure if that sponge is hard, medium, or soft...and not even sure it would make any difference considering it's so thin and on a LP to begin with.

This user has no status.
Depends....

Depends on the blade I pair them with - and the ply and type of wood construction.

Then depends if I will boost

Then depends on the style of play I want to adjust to

There is no "universal" setup, or that is the case for me

Does that imply you play both off en def blades? No perticular stye you prefer?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Does that imply you play both off en def blades? No perticular stye you prefer?

To answer your question - yes, as I do all kinds of styles to help my players train.
But in my previous message, I was only talking about my primary grip - Chinese Penhold, which I am able to do with inverted and short pimple.
I don't do "chop block" Cpen, if that makes it easier for you to understand.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
To answer your question - yes, as I do all kinds of styles to help my players train.
But in my previous message, I was only talking about my primary grip - Chinese Penhold, which I am able to do with inverted and short pimple.
I don't do "chop block" Cpen, if that makes it easier for you to understand.

Yes. :) Thanks.