Your favorite Table Tennis Events?

says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
Nov 2014
Read 6 reviews
I've been thinking about this kind of thread for a while now. I know there are a lot of tournaments and events, and that it might be hard to pick. I'm mainly thinking of at the national level and higher. Also, when I say events I'm thinking in specific and not one type of event in general. (wttc 2015, not wttc in general, just an example)
I'd say put the once you enjoyed watching most, you're free to give extra comments ofc, maybe your favourite match and/or a video link of that, and why you choose that event. (try to stick to one video for each event)
Since I created this I guess I'l go first :L
NB: I'm not a veteran at this, so there are probably many events I have not watched, but I will add the once I remember enjoying the most.
Also, As I'm a Penholder and Xu Xin fanboi that does affect my preferences.

My clear number one event is the "2013 Shakehand Vs Penhold Challenge"
That is simply because it was the funniest TT event I've watched, the mix ups and really enjoyable watching.
The rallies in this event was not insancely out of the ordinary, but the whole setting made it the most fun for me. The Ovchatrov - Ning DIng scenario, Only time I've actually seen Zhang Jike laugh (nohomo), the retired Kong Linghu played a set, Ma Lin and Wang Hao still in action. And a Ma Long-Xu Xin show is ofc included+++. Then with the penholders winning 5-3 it was the perfect event for me. ;)
With all this mentioned, it's a shame it's not been translated with subtitles.

Japan Open 2015, why you say? This tournament has almost everything. Penhold vs Penhold (Xu Xin Vs Wong Chun Ting), Rackets smashes to the floor, lobbs that should not be missed being missed at crucial points,' was it 3 times it happend? Big surprises (or upsets?) at one side of the row, resulting with Yoshimura going to the final. First tournament Ding Ning goes head to head with Ito Mima. And Man do I love it when we can get some Eurosport HD definition. The Xu Xin - Fan Zhendong rally is the most spectacular one for me in the whole tournament, but I'l link the Xu Xin vs Wong Chun Ting match, as I was waiting for those two to clash again. <:
(00:25->)

3. I'm having a hard time deciding Pro Tour Grand Finals (Dubai for 2013, but Jan 2014) and WTTC 2013, so I'l go with Pro Tour Grand Finals because of better quality and a better outcome for my preferences. Just overall great Table Tennis. :cool:

Memorable mentions:
Ofc, WTTC 2013 (Xu Xin - Zhang Jike, Wang Hao - Zhang Jike/Ma Long)
WTTC 2015
2015 China World Champions Masters (Xu Xin - Fan Zhendong)
Chinese SUper League (Xu Xin - Ma Lin)
2014 Asian Games (Xu Xin - Fan Zhendong/Jun Mizutani)
China Open 2013 and 2014 ( Xu Xin vs Ma Long/Zhang Jike, Ma Long/Timo Boll vs Wang Hao/Quentin Robinot?)
+Several more, but I'll stop there!

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Very good question, indeed...
Your No 3 is also one of my favorites. It's like an acknowledgement to the best players who've been playing a good season. So one can really expect seeing the best players of that time or at least the ones that been playing good in the latest pro tour season.

That penholder vs. shakehand competition is also quite nice to watch.

A few of my friends got a bit tired watching WTTC due to the chinese domination. But this goes actually for all international competitions and one must say that this years WTTC was an absolutely blast.

Well indeed, really good question. Why not make a poll?

Last edited:
Nov 2014
Read 6 reviews
Very good question, indeed...
Your No 3 is also one of my favorites. It's like an acknowledgement to the best players who've been playing a good season. So one can really expect seeing the best players of that time or at least the ones that been playing good in the latest pro tour season.

That penholder vs. shakehand competition is also quite nice to watch.

A few of my friends got a bit tired watching WTTC due to the chinese domination. But this goes actually for all international competitions and one must say that this years WTTC was an absolutely blast.

Well indeed, really good question. Why not make a poll?

Well, I was thinking of getting some more sugestions :p Looking at what top 3 (or top 5?) others had
There are probably many favoured tournaments I have not mentioned. (or watched..) This years wttc was indeed a very good watch, one of the few tournaments I've watched most of the main matches I was just a bit dissapointed after Xu Xin lost to fang bo, lol. Though I feel like he regained himself at the Japan Open :L
Also, True the chinese domination can be boring, but man do they play good. The rallies are just overall of better caliber and funner to watch. It's kinda like Norwegians in Cross Country skiing haha, however that is especially on the women's side :p

Reactions: Suga D