PDA

View Full Version : Korea Open 2015 Par Gerell vs Jang Woojin

unknown_poster
07-04-2015, 06:14 AM
I am not too familiar with Par Gerell of Sweden but most if not all of his serves seem to be illegal in more ways than one.

There may be better ways to analyze videos but I just start & stop at various points of his serves.

1. He tosses the ball towards himself easily more than 30 to 40 degrees off vertical (Rule :- about only 10 degrees off vertical maximum)

2. Item 1 usually results in him blocking the view of ball by receiver at some point. (Rule :- Ball must be visible at all times)

3. He definitely does not start with an open palm

I also noticed it looked like he did not shake Jang's hand after the match. It looked like he pulled his hand quickly after shaking umpires's hand as Jang seemed to offer his hand . I may be wrong and even if there was it was super quick.

Was there a problem / dispute just in this specific match ? Or

Does Par have a (negative) history / image ?

I heard he uses some sort of anti or pips on one side ?

izra
07-04-2015, 02:55 PM
he doesn't use pips or anti. he's been around for a while: illegal service, great forehand, very good footwork and lobbing skills.

Nilsragnar
07-04-2015, 04:51 PM
His serve is very questionable yes, but not som much because of the toss (many players do the same thing, tossing the ball slightly towards themselves, look at Xu Xin), but because of how he covers the ball with his body as he strokes it. Also the palm is not very open :)

About the handshake, it could be because he wanted a point but was denied. He claimed the ball hit the table. It's impossible for me to say if this was the case. As far as I know, he doesn't have a negative image or history.

raazzz
07-04-2015, 10:24 PM
Yes his serve is like many other pros not 100% legal. And no he is definitely not using pipes or anti.