Nathan Xu 10 Year Old Table Tennis Sensation!

says Hello My name is Henry Brown. I'm a NZ hopes squad...
May 2015
Read 3 reviews

Nathan Xu from NZ went to the world hopes week and challenge last year. He was just just 10 years old back then. From the world hopes he was then selected to represent the hopes at the world cadet challenge even though he was two years younger than everybody else. This year he again came first in the Oceania Hope Challenge without losing a set in the whole competition.

This is from the local news
Eleven-year-old Nathan Xu is arguably the best young table tennis prospect New Zealand has ever produced.

Last year Nathan was named one of the four most promising under-12 players on the planet at the World Hopes Challenge, and he's going back for another crack this month.
Nathan's mum Liping recalls when she realised her son wanted to be the best at table tennis: "When he would hold something like a knife or fork and he would use that to do a shot."
Like many kids his age, Nathan is shy and honest. But he's not your average 11-year-old from Auckland's North Shore. He's given up football, the piano and violin to train 13 hours a week, and do plenty of fundraising - that's because last year he travelled 111,000 kilometres to play. It included two training stints in China, the Under-12 World Hopes tournament in Slovenia and the Under-15 World Cadets in Barbados.

"When I asked him, 'Do you miss mum or do you miss home?' He said no – which makes me go, 'oh!'" says his mum.

"I didn't have enough time," replies Nathan.

Very little gets to him, not even missing a flight in New York because they were at the wrong airport.

"It's alright, things could have been worse," he says.

His coach says that unflappable nature, speed and a willingness to learn have made him the first Kiwi selected in the World Hopes team.

"I teach him one or two times and he will know exactly what I want, then he will try to use it in training and then after he'll use it in a game - that's why we call him talented," says coach Jiang Weizhong.

"I'm much more experienced and I've improved in every way," says Nathan.
The world better look out, because Nathan's out to show he's even better this year.

Read more: http://www.3news.co.nz/sport/auckland-11yo-taking-on-the-table-tennis-world-2015061819#ixzz3f9pftkeC

May 2015
Read 3 reviews
He reminds me of Tomakazu Harimoto--wonder who would win in a best of 7... :)

Probably Tomakazu because New Zealand doesn't have a enough resources. If Nathan had trained had trained in Japan it would be close :D

Reactions: BeGo
He reminds me of Tomakazu Harimoto--wonder who would win in a best of 7... :)

Im pretty sure this Nathan kid will win. From what I see Harimoto style is very japanese (a lot of blocking and less topspinning/looping), this Nathan kid takes it like Chinese player, topspinning every ball that bounces off the table, you definitely dont want to face an opponent like this