Wich handle you like the most?

Wich handle you like?

• Total voters
says Yo oskar, er stian fra randesund
says Yo oskar, er stian fra randesund
Jun 2011
Hey, people, I like Anatomic handle, but i kind of like Straight also, so im
confused about wich handle im going to buy, (its a Donic Burn off- blade)
I use Donic Burn off- with anatomic handle, but i feel that the handle is to big. (or i have to small hand)
so i want to try straigt.

What Do You Think About Handles, How Do You Like Yours?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I agree with YosuaYosan. I have played with blades where I like the handle and other blades that had the same kind of handle, like a flair where I did not like the handle. If you like the handle then there is something good about it. If you don't like the handle you don't want that one. I don't really think the handle makes that much of a difference. I tried a Timo Boll ZLF and it had a straight handle. I did not like the handle but I loved the blade. I tried a Clipper with a straight handle and I liked the handle. I tried a Jonyer with a flair handle and I did not like the handle. I really like the flair handle on my Cornilleau Hinotec and my Primorac though.

I like flaired and anatomic handles more than straight handles but they all work. I have been told that anatomic and straight are better for hitting and flaired handles are better for serving, over the table touch loops and pushing and for looping. I don't really feel that. I think you can do the same things with any handle. But the logic behind what I was told was that, because the main part of the handle is thinner on a flair than on an anatomic or a straight, the handle is less in the way for the wrist action and for using your hand to manipulate the blade while using your wrist in those strokes. Whereas, in flat hitting or smashing you just grab the handle and so a thicker handle to hold gives you more power. From a logic standpoint it makes sense. Like the action that Zhang Jike is doing to manipulate the blade when he does that over the table banana loop backhand, you might get more wrist from a flair, how you cock your wrist, and then use your wrist and hand to manipulate the blade: But, I have a feeling Jike could do that shot with an anatomic or a straight handle without any of us noticing a difference in the shot.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
@ dici, I think that the discussion of penhold handles would be a different discussion. I personally do not know what the difference between the Chinese Penhold and the Japanese Penhold handles would be in terms of how they play and what each grip and handle does better. It is a good and an interesting topic.

Since this thread was started by a shakehand player looking to choose the best shakehand handle for the blade of his choice the topic is about the different kinds of shakehand handles and what the advantages to each are. And a shakehand player wanting to know the advantages of the three different kind of shakehand rackets is not to be confused with a shakehand player who wants to switch to penhold and learn which version of a penhold racket would be best for him/her. That being said, dici, can you tell us the advantages of the different kinds of penhold grips. Or anyone else out there, feel free to chime in as well.

I think a good shakehand player should be able to be competent at playing penhold as well. I know that learning to loop penhold forehand and rp-backhand have helped my shakehand forehand and backhand a lot.

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
hah with the above comment I hate to continue on. DO NOT TAKE THIS OUT OF CONTEXT :p
I've tended to flip between straight and flared handles over the past few years I think each blade has a unique feel to it and sometimes I prefer one over the other. Whatever feels right at the time, that's what I go for :p Keep it clean! :)