Zhang Jike - How to play the Forehand Topspin!

How to play the right forehand topspin like Zhang Jike!

We all know Zhang Jike for his incredible mental strength and determination which has gained the China man an Olympic gold and many World titles, arguably one of the best players of all time and most feared player on the China team. However, aside from his medals and mental strength Zhangs forehand has played a key role in his success.

In the video below you can see many different forehands by Zhang Jike during multi ball practice and from block against his coach and team mates. The video also compares Zhangs forehand to Ma Longs.

So here you have, watch and learn and hopefully you will be playing forehands like the grand slam champion!
Enjoy.

This user has no status.
Today, we are going to learn how Zhang JK plays his forehand topspin.
At first, in his posture, we can see that his wrist and forearm power is very concerntrated, so he can give a high quality slam with a relatively smaller movement.
In this training clip, we can see that when Zhang is preparing to hit the ball, his wrist is very relaxed and expanded, and when the ball touches the racket, we can see that his wrist forced to the front. This move have greatly improved the quality of shot.

The first minute, will continue if you guys are interested, sorry for poor english

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
Today, we are going to learn how Zhang JK plays his forehand topspin.
At first, in his posture, we can see that his wrist and forearm power is very concerntrated, so he can give a high quality slam with a relatively smaller movement.
In this training clip, we can see that when Zhang is preparing to hit the ball, his wrist is very relaxed and expanded, and when the ball touches the racket, we can see that his wrist forced to the front. This move have greatly improved the quality of shot.

The first minute, will continue if you guys are interested, sorry for poor english

I noticed his wrist, thats really awesome!
Of course, continue ;-)

Reactions: Suga D
today, we are going to learn how zhang jk plays his forehand topspin.
In this training clip, we can see that when zhang is preparing to hit the ball, his wrist is very relaxed and expanded, and when the ball touches the racket, we can see that his wrist forced to the front. This move have greatly improved the quality of shot.

of course we are interested please continue <3

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Zhang Jike takes a lot of his power for the forehand stroke from gluteus and quadriceps muscle. of course his arm has an excellent acceleration, but his strokes are all grounded on his stable legs. i think if you compare him to ma long, he has less shoulder rotation, thats why ma longs topspins can reach a higher topspeed...what do you think?

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Zhang Jike takes a lot of his power for the forehand stroke from gluteus and quadriceps muscle. of course his arm has an excellent acceleration, but his strokes are all grounded on his stable legs. i think if you compare him to ma long, he has less shoulder rotation, thats why ma longs topspins can reach a higher topspeed...what do you think?

Yeah I agree with this. When you see the differences between Ma Long and Zhang Jike's technique, Zhang Jike seems to be a lot more compact. Ma Long is a bigger shot. Perhaps this is why Zhang Jike is having some shoulder problems because a lot of the force is stopping quickly, however that didnt stop Zhang Jike becoming Olympic Champion :)

I really like this video as Zhang Jike's technique is easy to learn from and watch. Brilliance comes from simplicity :)

says Aging is a killer
Shoulder problems

Yeah I agree with this. When you see the differences between Ma Long and Zhang Jike's technique, Zhang Jike seems to be a lot more compact. Ma Long is a bigger shot. Perhaps this is why Zhang Jike is having some shoulder problems because a lot of the force is stopping quickly, however that didnt stop Zhang Jike becoming Olympic Champion :)

I really like this video as Zhang Jike's technique is easy to learn from and watch. Brilliance comes from simplicity :)

ZJK's action is so relaxed that I believe that any shoulder problems are probably due to over training. Or like so many of us, improper warm-up. But seriously, look at what he's doing. He probably does this training for greater than > 15days in the month sometimes. No wonder so many pro players, both Chinese and Euro, stop intense training from as early as their late twenties.

BTW here's more of him training:

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
ZJK's action is so relaxed that I believe that any shoulder problems are probably due to over training. Or like so many of us, improper warm-up. But seriously, look at what he's doing. He probably does this training for greater than > 15days in the month sometimes. No wonder so many pro players, both Chinese and Euro, stop intense training from as early as their late twenties.

BTW here's more of him training:

Very true @Tinykin It is very much most likely due to repetitive use. It would be interesting to know how many shots Chinese players hit in 1 session and than comparing that to Europeans. If Zhang Jike hits around 2500 forehands in 1 session x 6 days a week (2500x6 = 15,000). Lets say he plays 40 weeks of the year (15,000x40=600,000). Zhang Jike is 27 years old. He started when he was 6 years old (600,000 forehands x 21 years playing). Zhang Jike has hit a total of 12.6 million forehands! Haha I wonder how accurate that estimation is :)

Thinking about it, Zhang Jike probably only hits around a 1000 forehands in 1 session, 2500 is probably a bit to much. Has anyone counted? :)