Jakab Janos Interview - Professional Player (World Rank 59)

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
TableTennisDaily exclusive interview with a TT professional! (Hours to make, seconds to comment)

jakab460.jpg

Full Name: János Jakab

Date Of Birth: 23.07.1986

Height: 179 cm

Club represented: Borussia Düsseldorf

Highest World Ranking: 59

Equipment – Peter from TTD wants to know what do you use?

Blade: Korbel SK7
FH Rubber: Tenergy 05
BH Rubber: Tenergy 05

Your career

How long have you been playing table tennis for, when did you start?
I started at the age of 8, so since 16 years.

Who has been the biggest influence on your career?
My mother of course! And my father and coaches. And for some period role models as Jan Owe Waldner, Timo Boll, Wang Liqin, etc (all the bests players, who I tried to imitate, to take from them).

BollForte94 from table tennis daily wants to know what you practice the most. Do you have a certain training regime each week or does it alter?
In general 2 different approaches:
- Two different sessions for summer and winter.
- Practice normal during the year (2*practice (about 2-2.5 hours)

I practice 3-4 times a week, the other days only one time TT + physical prep.

Do you serve practice often?
During training out of the 4-5 exercises there are always 2-3 with service-receive. But other than that also 2-3 additional times I make just service practice, because I need to improve in this area.

You’re a very successful international star now, what do you feel was your biggest achievement to date?
- World single championship 2003 Zagreb, last 32.
- Playing at Olympic Games in Beijng. (at Olympic Qualification in Hungary/Budapest before the Games I achieved 11.th place with some nice victories)

Ok, maybe you don't like looking back to this but what was your biggest low in your career?
2008/9 due mainly to shoulder injury we broke contract after 4 month with Levallois STTC, because I couldn’t raise my arm any more.

Are you looking forward to the 2012 Olympics?
Yes, very! And first I need to qualify.

TerIphik - Hi, I would like to know if the material (rubbers and blades) of professional players is the same to the same material as we (nonprofessional) buy in table tennis shops?
The bests players handpick the rubbers in the factory themselves, then they try them out, after they order the exact same gram from the factory.

Do you use booster to enhance your rubber?
No I only stick them after one layer of this white water glue.

lesliefrancs - HI, Is pursuing a life towards TT worth the rewards? and does playing TT full time effect your personal life?
Yes, totally worth it for me! I give a lot and I gain a lot through perusing my TT goals. Yes, it effects, after practices I don’t have so much spare Energy. Being a professional means that you try to think like a pro in every aspect of your life. (This means a lot of sacrifices and this means a way of thinking 24/7.) And for me, biggest sacrifices was leaving Hungary, my family, friends, etc to achieve my dreams.

Do you run every day?
1-2 times a week.

janos5.jpg

What's your view on the Chinese dominance at the moment, Why are they so good do you believe?
Mass production, higher average of TT players and also better coaches.
Children go to TT centers at the age of 4 to 5, after that their life is almost totally about developing in TT.
Mass: the ones in Beijing at the biggest TT center, in the national team (60 players) have the best abilities out of millions. There they learn from coaches, who have been to the World-Olympic championships.

Leankints wants to know do you train on the mental aspects of the game. Do you find this side of the game is just as important as the technical parts?
We work in Borussia with coach Danny Heister on our mental strengths. A book called Mindset summons just about everything an athlete needs to know how to become better. Yes, mental part crucial, definitely at a competition.

DaveCochrane - Hi, I would like to know what you want to do when you’re playing days are over, will you stay working in table tennis such as coaching etc.
Yes, I am thinking about being a TT coach after my career in playing table tennis.

forestloves - HI, would you rather Win the World Championships, or win a silver in the Olympic Games?
In TT it’s harder to win World Championships, because at the Olympics there are limited players from everywhere, especially important with Chinese and other Asian players. But for me, Olympic is more sacred…So, hard one, but I would stick with the GOLD!!!

topgunwow - Hi, are you happy about the speed glue ban, has it had an effect on your game?
Happy to save time, because we don’t have to glue however i’m unhappy about the ban because physical preparation is more dominant ever since. Due to extra power input this has give me a shoulder injury. I had to do operation to be able to continue this power-play.

Atomichaos – Do you ever give up a match when you’re loosing?
I try never to.
I always try to focus on my own performance, to bring out the best (whatever the current situation).

Legislate – If you don’t have much coaching, do you motivate yourself? Can you still be a good player without a coach?
This solution (without coach) has worked well for me at some tournaments. I would miss a coach more at every day work/practice.

Gauravvrak – What’s your mind strategy when you are 2-0 down. What do you think to have the belief to get back into the match?
The change of tactics gives much motivation, and the fear of losing too. Very powerful thing! And the reach a good rhythm for your own game/between your game and the opponents.

Joelstar – What warm ups do you do before a game to get you ready to compete?
Physical,(warm up, TT), mental (imagine the game, the upcoming points, tactics), emotional (self motivation making yourself hot for the “battle”)

Training in Borussia Dusseldorf

Janos Jakab with Timo Boll, Christian Suss, Patrick Baum and the Dusseldorf team!

After speaking with you Jakab you said you were in Dusseldorf training. Are you living full time there now?
About 3 weeks each month.

How is the training setup there, better than anywhere else?
Yes, everything perfectly in order, well organised, scheduled. Everything is there for your development. Very well equipped facility.

Timo Boll is widely respected over at TableTennisDaily. What is he like as person?
Very kind, modest, relaxed. Nice guy!

Do you get to practice with Timo Boll, if so how is it? Does he concentrate a lot or is he relaxed when training?
When he plays, he is very focused. Really hard to play against him, there are not that many flaws in his game. You can easily go for long minutes without winning a point…

Are there any exercises you players do every day that’s important you think?
Footwork, service-receive, passive exercise.

Do you guys go have some drinks/partying in your spare time in Dusseldorf?
Sure thing! When it fits to program.

Off the topic questions

Who’s the most famous person you know through table tennis?
Probably Timo. And Hungarian sport stars especially from Olympics.

Who’s your favorite sportsmen of all time?
Can’t pick one.

Favorite film?
The Matrix

What car do you drive?
Nissan

What’s your favorite music?
Mild trance, chill out.

What do you do in your spare time other then table tennis?
Read, run, have a wonder in the forest, meet family, friends, party, movies.

Do you eat well or eat junk good?
Generally well, rarely time to time eat junk food.

PS3 or XBOX 360?
No.

Your team mates

Whos the funniest player in the training hall?
Bojan Tokic

Who’s trains the hardest in the training hall?
Patrick Baum.

janos1.jpg

Who’s the funniest team player?
All very funny!

Who has the best nickname?
Danny Heister….Danimal
Or Heister, Der Meister

And Lastly

And lastly, thanks very much for your kindness in taking part in this interview for all the members of the Table Tennis Daily forum to learn and know more about the life of a professional player.

Would you like to add one last tip, or an inspirational message to us all?
This lifestyle, what comes with being a professional. Player’s give me so much. It made me a stronger person. It made my will-power, my mental power, my body stronger. Gives me constant goals and constant feedback. Makes me overcome myself in many-many aspects! Overcome fear, overcome tiredness, overcome pain. It gave me the importance of self motivation throughout the years to handle loosing, and handle winning. And so much more!

Through TT I learn about myself constantly and this way I get a chance to rule my own world as much as I can.

So I am really thankful for having TT in my life and for being able to do every day, what I really like. I have learned many things already, but I have a feeling, this learning about myself through TT will last until my last breath. So this way, I will never be bored!

Good luck in your next competition

Thanks!

Table Tennis Daily Staff and forum

---Please leave your thoughts and comments below and leave a comment on any questions you would like me to ask in the next table tennis daily interview of a professional player---

---Share with your facebook friends---

Click here for more exclusive TableTennisDaily interviews

Janos Jakab with Patrick Baum doing a funny Haka. Enjoy

Photo's used in interview: Borussia’s Janus JAKAB (courtesy Borussia Dusseldorf)

says Begonnen bij TTC Damme, vorig jaar bij TTC Pipolic en nu...
says Begonnen bij TTC Damme, vorig jaar bij TTC Pipolic en nu...
May 2011
Very nice interview.
I'm pretty sure everybody on TTD would like to see LOADS more of these interviews emerging...

Thanks Dan!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
thanks!! keep the interviews coming!! really good to hear pro players perspectives from different countries!!