Zhang Jike - The story so far

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Awesome video made by youtuber CrawSpecificated on the story of Zhang Jike so far

20115211305947668408_915.jpg

Whats your view on the story of Zhang Jike so far? Will he go all the way to be one of the greats like Kong Lingui?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
In my opinion Zhang Jike is the best player of all time. I can not imagine, how he should lost a big tournament. His playing style is very complete. His services are very good and he is the most athletic player I've ever seen. But I am very suprised, that he looses so many matches the last days...Ma Lin shouldn't be a problem for him normally.

And sorry...my english isn't very well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Every player can lose matches, no matter how good they are. It is not always the one who is seen as the one with the highest quality play that comes out victorious. That is what makes sport exciting ;) But I agree that it feels like Zhang has something on him that other players don't have. He is boss.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
In my opinion Zhang Jike is the best player of all time.

Are you kidding?! He won the World's Singles once, never won the World Cup, the Olympics gold medal, or the China Open, and he's never been ranked world #1, and you're ready to rate him the best table tennis player who's ever played the game? He beats out Waldner, Guoliang, Liqin, Gue Yuehua, and others? Really?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
@Tricon7
Best player of all time doesn't have to be determined by titles. Schlager won a WTTC, Boll and Samsonov never did. It doesn't necessarily make Schlager better. I think he just means the way Zhang plays is in quality better than he has seen before. This is not weird, since as the game develops, it will take more skill to become the worlds best. So the current best player could easily be the best player ever in terms of skill, but you can never really compare it. If Waldner would have his prime now he might do worse than back then. Every time has its own legends.

Reactions: Idiot
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
* and then he had to train as hard as he could to get back in it and to win the world championship. he inspires me so much i cant describe it :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I Love the Zhang Jike plays as well. I think he still needs to work on shifting from backhand to forehand. But he has gotten a lot better at it. And once he has turned to his forehand his forehand is now pretty amazing. Six months ago it was not. But I agree with Tricon7 in a way. WiWa, I get what you are saying but putting someone forward as the best player of all times is not a small thing. That kind of title should be reserved for someone who has done it all and has won consistently over an extended period of time. Someone who is playing great today but does not maintain that or gets passed by other players may not even be the best player of their own time. But Jike is an amazingly innovative player. The way he uses the backhand banana to receive serve, and how deceptive that shot is, how much spin it has on it, and how it is hard to tell if he is putting sidespin, inside-out sidespin or straight topspin on the ball is very hard to tell for the opponent. And that he can take any serve anywhere on the table and attack it with the backhand, put it anywhere on the table, and not be out of position for the next shot is simply amazing. You might be able to say that he has the best receive of serve skills of anybody, ever. But only time will tell if he can become the best player ever.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
It is true, you can only really say that after his career in fact. But I still think you should not overrate titles in that. However Zhang is still young so yes, he can still go the good or the bad way. I don't believe that you can say one person is the best of all time, so I always interpret is as like the biggest possible compliment to the given player. I mean you can be an amazing player, but if there are one or two players in your era that are outstanding but a little less than you, it is harder to get all the titles and such a players dominance may last shorter. But I never take that title literally. You just can't compare times. They had different balls, different bats, speed glue and so on. You just can't compare.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Yes WiWa, you're completely right.
We cannot compare players from now with players from the past. Everything was different: blades, rubbers, tables, balls, shoes, clothes,...
A player can be outstanding during his whole career and be the best one during his prime time, but not the best of all the time.
You just can't compare. (this last sentence is copyright protected by WiWa and I got his permission :p)