Dimitrij Ovtcharov - How to play the right Topspin!

How to play the right Topspin like Dimitrij Ovtcharov!

Last week we saw detailed videos surface of how to play a backhand like World Champion Ma Long and a forehand topspin like Olympic Champion Zhang Jike. We also saw how Fan Zhendong plays his backhand flick which has revolutionised the game. Today we have a new video which demonstrates how to perform a topspin with no other than European Champion Dimitrij Ovtcharov!

Dimitrij Ovtcharov is very well known for his incredible work rate. Ovtcharov often posts videos in the training hall working his socks off! Ovtcharov currently stands at number 6 in the world, the highest ranked European.

Watch the video below, you can see Dimitrij Ovtcharov's topspins in different match and training environments. The video is added with slow motion footage to capture Dima's technique broken down into great detail.

Enjoy!

says http://cinemagr.am/embed/148758536
says http://cinemagr.am/embed/148758536
Feb 2013
It's interesting to see how he changes the grip after every backhand to forehand grip, because it's much easier to change grip from forehand to backhand with reaction, then getting forehand grip after ball you were not expecting comes to forehand.
I have heard about this method earlier from one guy in my club. It can really be useful but requires so much practice to get used to it.

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
It's interesting to see how he changes the grip after every backhand to forehand grip, because it's much easier to change grip from forehand to backhand with reaction, then getting forehand grip after ball you were not expecting comes to forehand.
I have heard about this method earlier from one guy in my club. It can really be useful but requires so much practice to get used to it.

Yeah I noticed grip change a little before but looking on the slow mo you can really see the change. Dimitirj practices very hard and often, he has mastered it to perfection. I am really impressed with how short his technique is on the backhand, yet he gets so much power with it. Keeping his technique short and compact like this gives himself time to adjust the grip.