Nexy Calix 1 Review

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews
I've played for about a year with Viscaria + DHS Neo H3/Tibhar 5Q+ before switching to Calix 1 with the same rubbers at the beginning of this year. Generally, I agree with your review, perhaps with a couple of caveats.

Both blades are excellent, with Viscaria being way more popular for obvious reasons.

Calix is a very thin, light, dual-impact blade and that explains all its differences from Viscaria. There is no better way to describe it but to go to the source:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/foru...&PID=777654&title=nexy-designers-diary#777654

So at low ball speeds Calix plays more controlled than a Viscaria, but when you attack the ball strongly there is not that much difference from Viscaria in terms of overall power output or ability to produce spin. Personally, I find Calix to have more dwell than Viscaria when looping, but this could be just my technique.

The dual impact nature of Calix is most pronounced when blocking: blocking soft and not too spinny loops requires a bit of a firmer contact with a bit of a punch - otherwise the ball could go into the net, whereas Viscaria is "pingy" enough to get the ball over the net by just putting the blade in front of the ball. And the BH block of a power loop with Viscaria and 5Q pings back very quickly, while the same BH block using Calix is noticeably slower - but shorter too - which has its own advantages.