Help! Looking to Upgrade from Spin Art BH and Roundell FH

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Hi, I am currently in the process of replacing my rubbers ( Spin Art BH, Roundell FH ) and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I play at a high club level in an OFF style. I prefer FH to BH so would like rubbers with high speed and spin on that side as I can better control them. My BH side requires spin as most of my go to pressure point serves originate from that side and speed and control that are fairly similair as with my BH I prefer to go for placement a lot more often. My current blade is an innerforce ZLF. I am not too concernec about the rubbers price (willing to fork out £60 a side) but cheaper rubbers would also be a appreciated. Thanks for any help you can give me!:D

Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Are you lookin' for something completely else, or do you rather want to stay with these 'type' of rubbers?
If so , have you already tried a chinese factory tuned rubber for your BH?
I (used to) play the Spinart myself on the FH (now on my spare blade) and my feeling was, that it played pretty much like a factory tuned chinese rubber due to its tackiness and the hard topsheet.
Can't say nothing 'bout the roundell, though. Haven't tried it yet.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Are you lookin' for something completely else, or do you rather want to stay with these 'type' of rubbers?
If so , have you already tried a chinese factory tuned rubber for your BH?
I (used to) play the Spinart myself on the FH (now on my spare blade) and my feeling was, that it played pretty much like a factory tuned chinese rubber due to its tackiness and the hard topsheet.
Can't say nothing 'bout the roundell, though. Haven't tried it yet.

Well Im looking for an overall speed and spin upgrade on my roundell with perhaps a softer rubber. For the Spin art I would like a softer rubber but still maintaining the spin that you can gain from spin art.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Well Im looking for an overall speed and spin upgrade on my roundell with perhaps a softer rubber. For the Spin art I would like a softer rubber but still maintaining the spin that you can gain from spin art.

Oh, i see. The hardness of the Spinart's sponge is not everybody's cup of tea. But in that case you have plenty of options.
You could try the tibhar 'grip-s europe' and if that still would feel to hard for you, there is a softer version of it called 'grip-s europe soft'. It's got the tackiness you like, but the sponge is way softer than the Spinart. The 'regular' grip-s is said to be identical to Haifu Whale II(and made in the same factory like the whale) and might be also a little too hard for your taste. So i guess the european versions of that rubber might be exactly what you've been looking for.
But as i said: there are a lot of chinese rubbers that do the same as the 'grip-s'.
I just revived an old blade of mine yesterday and got myself some new rubbers for it. Actually i wanted to get the grip-s' but unfortunately the shop i went to, didn't have it on stock and i was too impatient, to wait another couple of days, so i got myself a Yinhe Sun medium for my FH. It's sponge feels softer than the Spinart.
I just had a few hits with it, but tonight it's practice time, so in a couple of weeks i'll be able to tell more about it.

Hope this helps a little.

For the roundell, you might need someone else's help. I tested several rubbers, except but that one.
The thing is, since i tried the tenergy05 on my BH no other rubbers seem to work for me anymore (that rubber was exactly what I was looking for) and that stopped my 'testeritis'. So maybe carl can help you better here.
@upsidedowncarl: flashing the bat sign... :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Oh, i see. The hardness of the Spinart's sponge is not everybody's cup of tea. But in that case you have plenty of options.
You could try the tibhar 'grip-s europe' and if that still would feel to hard for you, there is a softer version of it called 'grip-s europe soft'. It's got the tackiness you like, but the sponge is way softer than the Spinart. The 'regular' grip-s is said to be identical to Haifu Whale II(and made in the same factory like the whale) and might be also a little too hard for your taste. So i guess the european versions of that rubber might be exactly what you've been looking for.
But as i said: there are a lot of chinese rubbers that do the same as the 'grip-s'.
I just revived an old blade of mine yesterday and got myself some new rubbers for it. Actually i wanted to get the grip-s' but unfortunately the shop i went to, didn't have it on stock and i was too impatient, to wait another couple of days, so i got myself a Yinhe Sun medium for my FH. It's sponge feels softer than the Spinart.
I just had a few hits with it, but tonight it's practice time, so in a couple of weeks i'll be able to tell more about it.

Hope this helps a little.

For the roundell, you might need someone else's help. I tested several rubbers, except but that one.
The thing is, since i tried the tenergy05 on my BH no other rubbers seem to work for me anymore (that rubber was exactly what I was looking for) and that stopped my 'testeritis'. So maybe carl can help you better here.
upsidedowncarl: flashing the bat sign... :)

Do you think the 05 is a viable FH

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Do you think the 05 is a viable FH

Definitely yes. I know a few players who use it on FH and really do well with it.

Personally i prefer a tacky hard rubber on FH, that's why i chose the Spinart. But that's just my personal preference.

Generally the sponge of the t05 is considered to be a little hard. If you prefer a slightly softer sponge the t05fx should be more suitable.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Definitely yes. I know a few players who use it on FH and really do well with it.

Personally i prefer a tacky hard rubber on FH, that's why i chose the Spinart. But that's just my personal preference.

Generally the sponge of the t05 is considered to be a little hard. If you prefer a slightly softer sponge the t05fx should be more suitable.

PERFECT, Forehand sorted now there is simply the issue of BH. A member of my club recently recommended the Donic Bluefire JP0 Turbo does anyone have experience with this rubber and can confirm it as a viable option???

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Here is how look at it: first of all, it is good you are changing your rubbers. Spinart is good but too hard for most people's BH. Roundell is good for someone who wants control without much speed or spin.

T05 or T05fx would be fine for FH. The FX is more commonly used for BH because, usually, the smaller stroke of a BH works better with a rubber that is slightly softer than the FH rubber so you can really get the ball to sink into the sponge.

If you were interested in trying something else the top of the line rubbers from all the German rubber companies, at this point, are really good. The Andro Ransant line, the Joola Rhyzm line, Donic Bluefire line, the Victas V>01 line and the Tibhar Evolution line really all stand out.

All of them are good. Get the right hardness for your BH and the right hardness for your FH and you can't go wrong with any of them.

Here are some combinations you might think about:

T05 FH & T05FX BH
T05 both sides
Tibhar Evolution MX-P both FH and BH
Tibhar Evolution FX-P both FH and BH.
Evolution MX-P FH & FX-P BH.

If I was you I would try and get a BH rubber that is the same hardness or softer than your FH rubber (but not a BH rubber that is harder than your FH rubber).

It would take a little to get used to for you since you have been using a BH rubber that is harder than the FH rubber. But in the end you will get more use of the sponge and therefore more use of the topsheet with a slightly softer rubber on BH. And that will result in more pace and spin after you refine your contact with your BH. But same hardness should be fine too.

The rubber that I felt that has excited me the most, of all the new rubbers is the Evolution series. That will be the next thing I use. The amount of spin it generated was crazy. It is rare that I try something and think: "I want that, I want that, I want that!" And that is how I felt when I tried it.

But the suggestions that Suga D has already made are top notch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
One more detail. I personally, generally like having something very similar but slightly softer on my BH. So I normally use a slightly softer version of the same rubber on my BH as what is on my FH. ex. FH: T05, BH: T64 or T05FX.

Recently my BH has become so powerful that I am thinking of using the same rubber for both sides.

The only exception to that was when I have used H3 on FH and a Tenergy rubber on BH. But I like the Euro/Japanese sponges more on my FH than H3. So I don't do that anymore.

So, I would either think about getting the same rubber for both sides or something slightly softer but basically the same for BH. You will get used to that even though you have been using a harder, faster, more spinny rubber on BH and a softer, slower, less spinny rubber on FH.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Here is how look at it: first of all, it is good you are changing your rubbers. Spinart is good but too hard for most people's BH. Roundell is good for someone who wants control without much speed or spin.

T05 or T05fx would be fine for FH. The FX is more commonly used for BH because, usually, the smaller stroke of a BH works better with a rubber that is slightly softer than the FH rubber so you can really get the ball to sink into the sponge.

If you were interested in trying something else the top of the line rubbers from all the German rubber companies, at this point, are really good. The Andro Ransant line, the Joola Rhyzm line, Donic Bluefire line, the Victas V>01 line and the Tibhar Evolution line really all stand out.

All of them are good. Get the right hardness for your BH and the right hardness for your FH and you can't go wrong with any of them.

Here are some combinations you might think about:

T05 FH & T05FX BH
T05 both sides
Tibhar Evolution MX-P both FH and BH
Tibhar Evolution FX-P both FH and BH.
Evolution MX-P FH & FX-P BH.

If I was you I would try and get a BH rubber that is the same hardness or softer than your FH rubber (but not a BH rubber that is harder than your FH rubber).

It would take a little to get used to for you since you have been using a BH rubber that is harder than the FH rubber. But in the end you will get more use of the sponge and therefore more use of the topsheet with a slightly softer rubber on BH. And that will result in more pace and spin after you refine your contact with your BH. But same hardness should be fine too.

The rubber that I felt that has excited me the most, of all the new rubbers is the Evolution series. That will be the next thing I use. The amount of spin it generated was crazy. It is rare that I try something and think: "I want that, I want that, I want that!" And that is how I felt when I tried it.

But the suggestions that Suga D has already made are top notch.

Thanks to everyone who has posted replies, I am now looking into a BH rubber that will suit a T05 FX FH as I looked into both version of the T05 and decided I would rather sacrifice a slightly lower ball trajectory for greater control when coming up against heavy spinners. Now I am looking for the perfect match in terms of hardness and spin for said rubbers, after I have researched further into hardness etc of each suggested rubber I will get back to you guys!

Thanks Again for all your advice !:D

Reactions: Suga D
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Okay. So, before I answer your question, let me ask a few. The reason for the questions: I notice that you are planning to get 05FX for your FH. That is a soft rubber. And you are thinking of getting Evolution MX-S for BH. MX-S is harder than 05FX. In my opinion this would probably be a repeat of the mistake you made with your last set of rubbers that led BeGo to ask:

I wonder, have you tried to swap, use spin art as fh?

Is there a reason that you want a harder rubber on your BH? Is your BH much more powerful and a bigger stroke than your FH? Is your FH not so good that it needs a rubber that is better for a smaller stroke?

Usually a BH stroke is smaller than an FH stroke. Normally you can also put more body into a FH stroke. For these reasons, when you have a harder sponge on the FH you can still get the ball to sink way into the sponge without hitting the blade when you brush for a loop. Whereas, the BH which is a smaller stroke with less body in it gets more power and more spin from a softer sponge where you do not need as large a swing to get the ball to sink way into he sponge so that the topsheet wraps around and grabs more of the surface area of the ball and catapults the ball out with more spin and speed when you hold the ball on the sponge for long enough for the sponge to rebound.

This is the normal scenario: that a softer sponge gets you more spin and speed on BH but that same sponge might bottom out and be too soft on FH.

But perhaps you have a really powerful BH and not so strong a FH. Is that the case?

Or is there a different reason why you want a harder sponge on BH?

Like, it seems as if you are trying to find a semi-hard, super spinny rubber for BH and a soft, high control rubber for FH.

Explain why you feel that is good for you. Because, usually that same rubber that is semi-hard and very spinny for FH will not get quite as much of that effect on BH. Even though I believe MX-S should be okay for BH.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Okay. So, before I answer your question, let me ask a few. The reason for the questions: I notice that you are planning to get 05FX for your FH. That is a soft rubber. And you are thinking of getting Evolution MX-S for BH. MX-S is harder than 05FX. In my opinion this would probably be a repeat of the mistake you made with your last set of rubbers that led BeGo to ask:

Is there a reason that you want a harder rubber on your BH? Is your BH much more powerful and a bigger stroke than your FH? Is your FH not so good that it needs a rubber that is better for a smaller stroke?

Usually a BH stroke is smaller than an FH stroke. Normally you can also put more body into a FH stroke. For these reasons, when you have a harder sponge on the FH you can still get the ball to sink way into the sponge without hitting the blade when you brush for a loop. Whereas, the BH which is a smaller stroke with less body in it gets more power and more spin from a softer sponge where you do not need as large a swing to get the ball to sink way into he sponge so that the topsheet wraps around and grabs more of the surface area of the ball and catapults the ball out with more spin and speed when you hold the ball on the sponge for long enough for the sponge to rebound.

This is the normal scenario: that a softer sponge gets you more spin and speed on BH but that same sponge might bottom out and be too soft on FH.

But perhaps you have a really powerful BH and not so strong a FH. Is that the case?

Or is there a different reason why you want a harder sponge on BH?

Like, it seems as if you are trying to find a semi-hard, super spinny rubber for BH and a soft, high control rubber for FH.

Explain why you feel that is good for you. Because, usually that same rubber that is semi-hard and very spinny for FH will not get quite as much of that effect on BH. Even though I believe MX-S should be okay for BH.

Thanks in advance.

Okay I will try to answer all your questions. I should have explained that I was now looking at the MX-S as a possible FH in the combo you suggested. I was asking about the spin because my serves are such a critical part of my game that I would happily sacrifice speed for spin.

My BH is not a more powerful stroke than my FH you'll have to forgive me if I make mistakes in terms of the hardness of the rubber as up until now I did not fully understand the impact the hardness of a rubber makes and I am still trying to get my head round it.

I am opting for Tenergy as when I do go on the offensive I often back up spin up, place it in a corner with sidespin forcing them wide before stepping in and placing it in the other side with a guided forehand. The reason that I need control is that in this scenario I know it is likely my opponent has put some side or top on it and the control helps me to judge it. I generally avoid the backhand drive and am known for using it for looping across the table working my opponent. I have explained my thinking to the best of my abilities.

apologies for any questions missed.

This user has no status.
Thanks Carl!

Dear TTOE,

To add, sorry for being rude,

I find this thread interesting, make me heavily curious, cause, imho,

You are asking for better looper combi available, while,

You actually carrying one of the best brush looper combi available. Can't easily beat your combi.:)

It just that You use it backward, looking at your play style description.

Hence my question, doubled as my recommendation. I strongly suggest, before you buy anything else, try Spin Art as Your FH, and Your Roundell as BH. :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Thanks Carl!

Dear TTOE,

To add, sorry for being rude,

I find this thread interesting, make me heavily curious, cause, imho,

You are asking for better looper combi available, while,

You actually carrying one of the best brush looper combi available. Can't easily beat your combi.:)

It just that You use it backward, looking at your play style description.

Hence my question, doubled as my recommendation. I strongly suggest, before you buy anything else, try Spin Art as Your FH, and Your Roundell as BH. :)

I will test it tonight!

Reactions: Suga D and BeGo
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I will test it tonight!

Cool. After you see how that feels, let us know. With TT equipment, it is better to not rush into things. Nothing wrong with taking your time and finding out what might be best for you.

Reactions: BeGo and Suga D