PDA

View Full Version : Ask Hugo Calderano a question!

TableTennisDaily
08-20-2015, 11:41 AM
Hi everyone,

Hugo Calderano is our latest addition to the Verified Pro Player member and has signed up to the TableTennisDaily website and is willing to answer your questions! Hugo is a professional player who represents Brazil. Hugo has recently shot up the world rankings with his current ranking standing at 52 on the ITTF World Ranking List (August 2015). Hugo currently represents Ochsenhausen in the German league. This season Hugo has teamed up with Liam Pitchford, Simon Gauzy and Jakub Dyjas! What a team!

Hugo is the youngest player (17 years old) to win the Brazil Open ITTF World Tour in 2013. Hugo is the Pan American Champion and the Youth Olympic Games Bronze medalist!

https://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/images/hugocalderano.jpg
Hugo Calderano - Photo by: Hugo's Facebook Page

Watch the great battle between Hugo and Timo Boll in last years German League match!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Stfz-k7NzY

Hugo Calderano is registered to the site, any questions you would like to ask him, just fire away by posting below and he will do his best to get back to you as soon as possible.

Hugo Calderano
08-20-2015, 11:48 AM
Thanks TTDaily,

I will get back to everyone's questions as soon as possible. I have a lot of training preparations for the German League at the moment, looking forward to your questions. Thanks :)

Der_Echte
08-20-2015, 12:02 PM
Great stuff Hugo. Hope to see your perspectives.

William W

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Liten
08-20-2015, 12:30 PM
A big welcome! Great to have you here. :)

First question:
How do you prepare mentaly before a match?
(Are you the type who meditates and whants to be alone or more the type who orders takeaway with the mates and play cards? ;) )

Thanks in advance!

Suga D
08-20-2015, 07:16 PM
Hello Hugo,

my questions:

how is tabletennis in brazil? I mean, how about the competitions? Are there a lot of clubs and TT leagues or is it mainly about tournaments?

Did you already adapt to the german weather?

Do you think you can make tabletennis in brazil become as big as football(4 the readers from the US, i'm talkin' bout soccer) ;-)

Do you think you can become the 'Ronaldo' or 'Pele' of tabletennis? ;-)

Please don't take my last question too seriously. ;-)

Thanks for joining in here.

Wishin' you a succesful and injury-free season.

Lookin' forward to your matches and of course to your answers.

Thanks in advance.

raazzz
08-20-2015, 07:47 PM
What is your biggest dream? :D

Shiro
08-21-2015, 02:46 AM
Often in matches, i see you use a very high toss serve. How do you make your high toss serves so short and spinny? When i do a high toss serve, i can never get them as short, they are often medium or long.

sam222
08-21-2015, 04:22 PM
great you at here, waiting for you performance:)

Danggi
08-21-2015, 05:14 PM
How you practice your awesome backhand?

ajtatosmano2
08-21-2015, 05:20 PM
Hello, I'm happy to see you there!
How do you train physically your wrist? Your flicks are beautiful!
Good luck in the German League!

Fan Zhendong
08-21-2015, 09:01 PM
Hi Hugo!
Great to see you here!
How have you got such a nice backhand?? (How have you trained it?)
How many times a week did you train as a child to now?
Is the salary good in table tennis for a player at your level?
What is the biggest reason that you have become such a great player?

Thanks in advance! :)

Hugo Calderano
08-21-2015, 09:22 PM
A big welcome! Great to have you here. :)

First question:
How do you prepare mentaly before a match?
(Are you the type who meditates and whants to be alone or more the type who orders takeaway with the mates and play cards? ;) )

Thanks in advance!

Thanks, Litan! I like to be by myself and always listen to “The Final Countdown” to concentrate.

Hugo Calderano
08-21-2015, 09:23 PM
Hello Hugo,

my questions:

how is tabletennis in brazil? I mean, how about the competitions? Are there a lot of clubs and TT leagues or is it mainly about tournaments?

Did you already adapt to the german weather?

Do you think you can make tabletennis in brazil become as big as football(4 the readers from the US, i'm talkin' bout soccer) ;-)

Do you think you can become the 'Ronaldo' or 'Pele' of tabletennis? ;-)

Please don't take my last question too seriously. ;-)

Thanks for joining in here.

Wishin' you a succesful and injury-free season.

Lookin' forward to your matches and of course to your answers.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Suga D! Here are my answers:

How is table tennis in Brazil? I mean, how about the competitions? Are there a lot of clubs and TT leagues or is it mainly about tournaments?

There are many people playing, but if you consider the population in Brazil, there should many more. Most clubs are in the state of São Paulo, but many states have their associations and promote tournaments. There isn’t a national league, but the national competitions are big and gather around 1,000 players

Did you already adapt to the German weather?

Yes. Winter is a bit tough, especially because I don’t have a car and have to ride my bike to practice, but that’s ok wink emotion

Do you think you can make tabletennis in Brazil become as big as football(4 the readers from the US, i'm talkin' bout soccer) ;)

I hope I can help make it more popular, but it’s hard to beat soccer in terms of popularity in Brazil.

Do you think you can become the 'Ronaldo' or 'Pele' of tabletennis? ;)

hahahah That would be great!

Hugo Calderano
08-21-2015, 09:25 PM
What is your biggest dream? :D

Hi raazzz! My biggest dream is to be Olympic champion ;)

Hugo Calderano
08-21-2015, 09:26 PM
Often in matches, i see you use a very high toss serve. How do you make your high toss serves so short and spinny? When i do a high toss serve, i can never get them as short, they are often medium or long.

Hi, Shiro. I guess it’s just a lot of practice. It’s not a very exciting part of the daily practice, but extremely important.

Hugo Calderano
08-21-2015, 09:27 PM
How you practice your awesome backhand?

Thanks, Danggi! I do a lot of many balls/ multi ball training.

Hugo Calderano
08-21-2015, 09:27 PM
Hello, I'm happy to see you there!
How do you train physically your wrist? Your flicks are beautiful!
Good luck in the German League!

Hi, ajtatosmano2! I don’t do any specific physical training for the wrist. Thanks!

Hugo Calderano
08-21-2015, 09:28 PM
Hi Hugo!
Great to see you here!
How have you got such a nice backhand?? (How have you trained it?)
How many times a week did you train as a child to now?
Is the salary good in table tennis for a player at your level?
What is the biggest reason that you have become such a great player?

Thanks in advance! :)

Hi FZD ;) I do a lot of many balls training. I started playing TT at 8, but have been practicing regularly, 5-6 hours a day since I was 14. The salary is ok :)

I guess I do well thanks to a combination of factors: genes, hard work, mental strength and grabbing every opportunity I can get :)

Suga D
08-21-2015, 09:53 PM
Hi Suga D! Here are my answers:

How is table tennis in Brazil? I mean, how about the competitions? Are there a lot of clubs and TT leagues or is it mainly about tournaments?

There are many people playing, but if you consider the population in Brazil, there should many more. Most clubs are in the state of São Paulo, but many states have their associations and promote tournaments. There isn’t a national league, but the national competitions are big and gather around 1,000 players

Did you already adapt to the German weather?

Yes. Winter is a bit tough, especially because I don’t have a car and have to ride my bike to practice, but that’s ok wink emotion

Do you think you can make tabletennis in Brazil become as big as football(4 the readers from the US, i'm talkin' bout soccer) ;)

I hope I can help make it more popular, but it’s hard to beat soccer in terms of popularity in Brazil.

Do you think you can become the 'Ronaldo' or 'Pele' of tabletennis? ;)

hahahah That would be great!

Thanks a lot for taking time to answer. Now that is what i call a quick response. Very nice, very appreciated. ;)
Tudo bom for you.
Lookin' forward to your matches.

UpSideDownCarl
08-21-2015, 09:59 PM
Top notch answers. Thanks. They are fun to read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Liten
08-22-2015, 05:54 AM
Great answers!
The final countdown is a great song to prepare! :)

New questions:
who is the hardest opponent youv played sofar?

Who has the best serve in your opinion.

FranciscoF
08-22-2015, 06:24 AM
hello Hugo, congratulations on the Pan-American championship, my question is, do you think is lacking in South America, to have players at the level of European and Asian? sorry for my english

TarnottTT
08-22-2015, 07:55 AM
Hi Hugo,

I was wondering at what point it was at which you realised it was you were going to make it as a pro player

raazzz
08-22-2015, 09:46 AM
Do you have any Idols?

yuri.saldon
08-24-2015, 02:50 AM
E aí Hugo tudo certo? Grande fã seu, gostaria de saber se tu já jogou com o pessoal do Itaim Keiko quando estava no Brasil e o que VC acha do clube? Abraço boa sorte!!!

Sent from my 2014819 using Tapatalk

Hugo Calderano
08-25-2015, 11:40 AM
Great answers!
The final countdown is a great song to prepare! :)

New questions:
who is the hardest opponent youv played sofar?

Who has the best serve in your opinion.

Hi Liten, the hardest opponents I faced so far were Ma Long and FZD, they were very tough.

And two of the best serves I have seen are Mizutani’s and Tsuboi’s

Hugo Calderano
08-25-2015, 11:40 AM
hello Hugo, congratulations on the Pan-American championship, my question is, do you think is lacking in South America, to have players at the level of European and Asian? sorry for my english

Hi Francisco. It’s hard to talk about South America as a whole because there are different situations in different countries and I don’t know them well. What I can say is that there are many good players in South America and some have enough talent to have a successful career in Europe.

Hugo Calderano
08-25-2015, 11:41 AM
Hi Hugo,

I was wondering at what point it was at which you realised it was you were going to make it as a pro player

Hi TarnotTT, I guess it was at around 14, when I started having good results at international competitions and then decided to leave my hometown, Rio de Janeiro, to live and practice in São Caetano do Sul, with the Brazilian team.

Hugo Calderano
08-25-2015, 11:42 AM
Do you have any Idols?

Hi raazzz, Not really an idol, but I admire Federer for his game and his attitude.

Hugo Calderano
08-25-2015, 11:42 AM
E aí Hugo tudo certo? Grande fã seu, gostaria de saber se tu já jogou com o pessoal do Itaim Keiko quando estava no Brasil e o que VC acha do clube? Abraço boa sorte!!!

Sent from my 2014819 using Tapatalk

Fala Yuri! Joguei muitas vezes com o pessoal do Itaim, principalmente quando eu era infantil e juvenil. Nunca treinei lá, mas parece ser um ótimo clube. Abração!

izra
08-25-2015, 01:38 PM
hi hugo!

do you feel the change to the plastic ball has changed something in the sport and if yes, has it helped or hurt your game in relation to other players?

is there something specific technique-wise that makes your backhand so good?

which coach has had most impact on your progress so far and how?

RubinTM
09-01-2015, 01:49 AM
Olá Hugo
Admiro muito seu jogo!!!
O que você acha que falta no Brasil para evoluir mais seu tênis de mesa?
Como por exemplo a Alemanha, como sua fortíssima liga e tantos grandes jogadores.
O que vc espera de seu time na Liga esse ano??
abç

raazzz
09-01-2015, 12:54 PM
Hi raazzz! My biggest dream is to be Olympic champion ;)

The answer I was waiting for! I wish you all luck!

underlaydisk
09-01-2015, 09:51 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIPKZfxrBMY

Some questions answered :D

AlexTax
09-02-2015, 09:24 AM
Good morning! I just saw some of your matches on YouTube and i still can't stop to admire your backhand again and again and again!
I will take a break to write my personal questions:
You had to face some legends in this sport like Ma Long and FZD known more like tabletennis machines than humans,so the question is: i guess you and your coach studied their game a lot before the match, how did you prepare to play against them? Did you make some adjustments in your game style considering the difference between Chinese and European players?
During the match did you notice a weak point in their style to take advantage of? On the other side what was their strength based on?
Thanks!

Baal
09-02-2015, 05:37 PM
Hugo, how much time out of the year do you spend in Brazil and how much time in other countries to train?

Suga D
09-02-2015, 08:34 PM
That Rubik cube was solved pretty quickly...
Good one :)

Three more questions, please:

Is the general playing style in brazil different to europe and if yes, what is the differences?

Do you think it would be possible to build up leagues in Brazil like there are in Europe?

Are tournaments shown on TV and how many spectators come to the tournaments?

Danggi
09-03-2015, 05:54 AM
What is your blade and rubbers that you use?

Joshy
10-14-2015, 10:55 PM
Hi it's nice to have the oppertunity to ask a pro a question.
So my question is: how do you train? ( how often ,how long, what ways of training so technique footwork mentality strongness etc)

violoniste18
10-15-2015, 09:10 PM
hello hugo,

it's very nice to read answers from a great player as you. Your backhand is already well known !

You play at the club of simon Gauzy !! You are two players i like to see you at the most at youtube.

My question : what's your physical training outside of table tennis ? footing too ?
strengh training ? flexibility exercices ?

how many times do you come back to Bresil each year ?