Ask Hugo Calderano a question!

says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
Hi everyone,

Hugo Calderano is our latest addition to the Verified Pro Player member and has signed up to the TableTennisDaily website and is willing to answer your questions! Hugo is a professional player who represents Brazil. Hugo has recently shot up the world rankings with his current ranking standing at 52 on the ITTF World Ranking List (August 2015). Hugo currently represents Ochsenhausen in the German league. This season Hugo has teamed up with Liam Pitchford, Simon Gauzy and Jakub Dyjas! What a team!

Hugo is the youngest player (17 years old) to win the Brazil Open ITTF World Tour in 2013. Hugo is the Pan American Champion and the Youth Olympic Games Bronze medalist!

hugocalderano.jpg

Hugo Calderano - Photo by: Hugo's Facebook Page

Watch the great battle between Hugo and Timo Boll in last years German League match!

Hugo Calderano is registered to the site, any questions you would like to ask him, just fire away by posting below and he will do his best to get back to you as soon as possible.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Thanks TTDaily,

I will get back to everyone's questions as soon as possible. I have a lot of training preparations for the German League at the moment, looking forward to your questions. Thanks :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Hello Hugo,

my questions:

how is tabletennis in brazil? I mean, how about the competitions? Are there a lot of clubs and TT leagues or is it mainly about tournaments?

Did you already adapt to the german weather?

Do you think you can make tabletennis in brazil become as big as football(4 the readers from the US, i'm talkin' bout soccer) ;-)

Do you think you can become the 'Ronaldo' or 'Pele' of tabletennis? ;-)

Please don't take my last question too seriously. ;-)

Thanks for joining in here.

Wishin' you a succesful and injury-free season.

Lookin' forward to your matches and of course to your answers.

Thanks in advance.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Hi Hugo!
Great to see you here!
How have you got such a nice backhand?? (How have you trained it?)
How many times a week did you train as a child to now?
Is the salary good in table tennis for a player at your level?
What is the biggest reason that you have become such a great player?

Thanks in advance! :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
A big welcome! Great to have you here. :)

First question:
How do you prepare mentaly before a match?
(Are you the type who meditates and whants to be alone or more the type who orders takeaway with the mates and play cards? ;) )

Thanks in advance!

Thanks, Litan! I like to be by myself and always listen to “The Final Countdown” to concentrate.

Reactions: Liten and Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Hello Hugo,

my questions:

how is tabletennis in brazil? I mean, how about the competitions? Are there a lot of clubs and TT leagues or is it mainly about tournaments?

Did you already adapt to the german weather?

Do you think you can make tabletennis in brazil become as big as football(4 the readers from the US, i'm talkin' bout soccer) ;-)

Do you think you can become the 'Ronaldo' or 'Pele' of tabletennis? ;-)

Please don't take my last question too seriously. ;-)

Thanks for joining in here.

Wishin' you a succesful and injury-free season.

Lookin' forward to your matches and of course to your answers.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Suga D! Here are my answers:

How is table tennis in Brazil? I mean, how about the competitions? Are there a lot of clubs and TT leagues or is it mainly about tournaments?

There are many people playing, but if you consider the population in Brazil, there should many more. Most clubs are in the state of São Paulo, but many states have their associations and promote tournaments. There isn’t a national league, but the national competitions are big and gather around 1,000 players

Did you already adapt to the German weather?

Yes. Winter is a bit tough, especially because I don’t have a car and have to ride my bike to practice, but that’s ok wink emotion

Do you think you can make tabletennis in Brazil become as big as football(4 the readers from the US, i'm talkin' bout soccer) ;)

I hope I can help make it more popular, but it’s hard to beat soccer in terms of popularity in Brazil.

Do you think you can become the 'Ronaldo' or 'Pele' of tabletennis? ;)

hahahah That would be great!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Often in matches, i see you use a very high toss serve. How do you make your high toss serves so short and spinny? When i do a high toss serve, i can never get them as short, they are often medium or long.

Hi, Shiro. I guess it’s just a lot of practice. It’s not a very exciting part of the daily practice, but extremely important.

Reactions: Liten and Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Hi Hugo!
Great to see you here!
How have you got such a nice backhand?? (How have you trained it?)
How many times a week did you train as a child to now?
Is the salary good in table tennis for a player at your level?
What is the biggest reason that you have become such a great player?

Thanks in advance! :)

Hi FZD ;) I do a lot of many balls training. I started playing TT at 8, but have been practicing regularly, 5-6 hours a day since I was 14. The salary is ok :)

I guess I do well thanks to a combination of factors: genes, hard work, mental strength and grabbing every opportunity I can get :)

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Hi Suga D! Here are my answers:

How is table tennis in Brazil? I mean, how about the competitions? Are there a lot of clubs and TT leagues or is it mainly about tournaments?

There are many people playing, but if you consider the population in Brazil, there should many more. Most clubs are in the state of São Paulo, but many states have their associations and promote tournaments. There isn’t a national league, but the national competitions are big and gather around 1,000 players

Did you already adapt to the German weather?

Yes. Winter is a bit tough, especially because I don’t have a car and have to ride my bike to practice, but that’s ok wink emotion

Do you think you can make tabletennis in Brazil become as big as football(4 the readers from the US, i'm talkin' bout soccer) ;)

I hope I can help make it more popular, but it’s hard to beat soccer in terms of popularity in Brazil.

Do you think you can become the 'Ronaldo' or 'Pele' of tabletennis? ;)

hahahah That would be great!

Thanks a lot for taking time to answer. Now that is what i call a quick response. Very nice, very appreciated. ;)
Tudo bom for you.
Lookin' forward to your matches.