Long pimples with sponge

This user has no status.
Hello,
I've been playing with long pips for more than six years (basically since I started) and I always had OX.Currently I'm using Donic Akkadi L2 and before I used Friendship RITC 755.I've tried a few others but Akkadi suits me best.Today a teammate,whose level is quite higher than mine, suggested that I switch to pimples with a thin sponge and said it could really improve my game.Unfortunately we didn't have time to disscus it further.
So my question is: What are the effects,both positive and negative, of a sponge on long pips?And in general,which do you think is better pimples OX or with sponge?

This user has no status.
I asked my coach the same question a few weeks ago. He said that if the sponge is thicker, it will absorb more energy of the ball so the pips will become slower. He also said that pips with thicker sponge are easier to play with, but also easier to play against, because they aren't so deceptive. So, the OX should be the hardest to play with and against version.

Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
Well,I try to focus on a long distance play(chopping) but I can also play close to the table with pushes and blocks.It's effective against players who are the same level as me,but better players have little problem with it.And the teammate said that sponge could really improve my pushes close to the table and maybe chops from mid distance as well.So if it's slower it could be useful when close to the table.

This user has no status.
I have a Long pips out rubber with thick sponge on a defensive blade, and it is really harder to play with for mid to far table, but close to table it was fine for chops and blocks, but maybe i should get something with less thickness or put that rubber on a faster blade, but in all cases, i am looking for to try medium pips over that long or short which is almost not much improvement over inverted, but it is too many factors to consider, OX, thin, thick, LP, SP,.....etc.

This user has no status.
I was thinking about a thin sponge,so it would improve my pushes and close to the table game and wouldn't afferct the chops too much.

I was planning to do that too, but i didn't do it yet, so if you will go with this idea then please let's know your impressions.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Nov 2010
I have played with LPs a lot. LP with sponge are better for attacking or chopping. Sponge allows the pips to bend more and absorb energy. I prefer thinner sponges like 0.6mm. I have some 755 1mm but these are better at playing a aggressive game. 755 1mm doesn't provide much spin reversal.

At this time I have Grass Dtecs 0.6mm and TSP Curl P4 0.6 mm. My 2 Firewall pluses have GD Talon 0X. I am not impressed with Grass Dtecs 0.6mm or TSP playing at the table. GD Talon is much better due to more spin reversal.

This user has no status.
So today I got a new sheet of Friendship 837 with 0.6mm sponge.So far I've only played with for an hour,but the first impression was quite good.
I put it on my Persson Power AR V1 blade.Comparing it to Akkadi L2 0X, I feel that it has more control(a lot more),esspecially when playing drives close to the table.I can use a wider variation of strokes(with long arm movement,only using wrist...),and I have a better control of the speed as well.Even lifting uderspin can be done with it(basically a flat hit with just a little rotation) what I couldn't do well before.I'd say that when close to the table it's almost perfect.
Mid/far distance is a little bit more difficult than with Akkadi,but my coach says that I have a decent technigue for chopping and got used to it with a few changes of the stroke.But I noticed that balls tend to fly a bit higher than I'd like to.But probably that will be corrected in time.Also there's less control of where the ball lands.
Overall, I think that close to the table it's much better than 0X.From farther back it could be good as well,but you need to addapt to it.

This user has no status.
I CAN NOT PLAY AGAINST LONG PIMPLES!!! i know what it does but still can't get get my head around it, it is so annoying
Well,at our club manny players who are better than me have problems with it. But I have one teammate who's played with me since we both started.And he really can play against long pimples,although he sometimes makes mistakes,but that's normal.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 34 reviews
More sponge makes it easier to control incoming spin. If you are looking at continuing to chop while improving close table ability to spin and play difficult balls then a sponge of 1mm or less is recommendable especially if you are transitioning from OX. It will allow you to impart more spin on your close table strokes and hopefully make life hell for your opponent :)

This user has no status.
More sponge makes it easier to control incoming spin. If you are looking at continuing to chop while improving close table ability to spin and play difficult balls then a sponge of 1mm or less is recommendable especially if you are transitioning from OX. It will allow you to impart more spin on your close table strokes and hopefully make life hell for your opponent :)
Yes,that's true.For me it's quite an improvement from 0X.Now it's easier for me to play all sorts of strokes,although I have to concentrate more on the spin.But overall it's much better.

Reactions: BeGo