2015 Men's World Cup Confirmed Players

says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
The Men's World Cup begins in Halmstad, Sweden on the 16th October 2015. The confirmed player list is now in!

fanpolishopenchamp.jpg

Fan Zhendong replaces xu Xin! Photo by: ITTF

Confirmed players of world cup are:

Ma Long (China) - World Champion
Omar Assar (Egypt) - African Cup Winner
Fan Zhendong - Replaced Xu Xin (China) - Asian Cup 2nd place
Gustavo Tsuboi (Brazil) - Latin American Cup Winner
Jimmy Butler (USA) - North American Cup Winner
William Henzell (Australia) - Oceania Cup Winner
Dimitrij Ovtcharov (Germany) - Europe Cup Winner
Jun MIzutani (Japan) - Asian Cup 3rd place
Marcos Freitas (Portugal1) - Europe Cup 2nd
Gionis Panagiotis (Greece) - Europe Cup 3rd place
Tang Peng (Hong Kong) - Asian Cup 4th place
Chuang Chih Yuan - Replaced Kim Minseok (Korea) - Asian Cup 9th/10Th place
Simon Gauzy (France) - Europe Cup 4th place
Tiago Apolonia (Portugal) - Europe Cup 5th place
Robert Gardos (Austria) - Europe Cup 6th place
Sharath Kamal Achanta (India) - Asian Cup 6th place
Koki Niwa (Japan) - Asian Cup 7th place
Gao Ning (Singapore) - Asian Cup 8th place
Kristian Karlsson (Sweden) - Host
Anton Kallberg (SWE2) - Wild card

Full Detail: http://www.ittf.com//World_Events/2015MWC/2015_MWC_Confirmed list_FINAL.pdf

So, Who you think will win the World Cup? Who are you looking forward to watching?

This user has no status.
I am looking forward to watch Anton Kallberg at the world cup cause he's been pretty good this year actually by beating Kim Minseok in the German Open and Yuto Muramatsu in the Japan Open in the U21 1/4 final. Oh and i forgot about that he also beat Jang Woojin in the 1/2 final of the Czech Open in the U21. But the most epic match that he won was against Stephane Ouaiche in the Swedish Open. But most likely it will be Ma Long or Fan Zhendong to win.

Reactions: NextLevel
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
No Timo. Not cool.

On the other hand I'm looking forward to seeing how Jimmy Butler goes on his big comeback. Also how Henzell plays as I'm not sure how heavy his training schedule is nowadays.

It should be an interesting event, I always enjoy the world cup :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
of course Anton Kallberg will win. I mean he got the wildcard instead of Timo Boll so he has to be quite something? Or am I wrong?
You're right: you are wrong. :p

If you look back at wildcards for the WC , the home nation has historically been favoured more often than not. However, this has never been a rule and similarly the wildcard has not always been given to the best non-qualifying player either.

Secondly, (which since the wildcard has already been chosen is pointless, but anyways...):
You say K'llberg got the wildcard instead of Timo. Why do you think so? Since each association has the right to nominate a wildcard, the choice wasn't between K'llberg and Boll, but between K'llberg, Boll and several other nominees.

So Timo or Anton?
Anton K'llberg has shown great promise and have developed fantastically well over the last year. He's an exciting up-and-coming player. Timo Boll's season hasn't been his best and he would get the wildcard on old merits, proven ability, etc.

I feel that both justifications are fine, but the way I see it a wildcard should be given to someone who is unproven or a bit of an unknown, could potentially spring a surprise and is someone beyond the usual suspects. But that's just me :)