Forehand topspin problem

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Hey guys. I have had this problem for quite some time. Usually when i do 3rd ball attack or an offensive forehand stroke, i usually hit the second one long as my opponent blocks it. When i trained with my coach who was playing chopping against me, he said that my second attack was too rushed and asked me to wait for 2 seconds after the ball touches the table. I tried it and it didn't really work for me so please give me your insight on this.
Thanks.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Yeah, make a movie while you're playing forehand topspin. Do it from some angles so that we can see it. The movement of arm and body and of course the footwork!
It would be easier!

Advices I can give to you is that you should touch the ball at the same place (if your coach is just blocking), try to have enough space between body and ball, adjust your placement with your footwork, while doing the movement, the arm goes with the body! (important!) and everything comes back again (it would be difficult if not ^^). You should also be a bit patient and not run to the ball immediately after the rebound, but keep you in position and then go for it.
Don't be afraid if the first shots go to the net or too long. You have to adjust yourself. And finally, play first with control with the right movement and then, if control is good, you can upgrade speed without ignoring the control!!

If have questions, just ask ;)

P.S.: Even with my advices, a video would help us a lot! ;)

Always the highest point. That comes a little slower when ur opponent is chopping, but still the highest point is the moment ur racket should hit the ball. U should try to adapt ur attack stroke accordingly ;) xD
so sir wiwa what happens when you hit the ball on the falling point does it affect the angle of ur loop or not?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
Firstly, you should learn to loop off a push because usually the first attacking stroke is a loop off a push.
After the first attack, most probably your opponent will block the ball, in the other meaning, you are given a portion of the topspin you imparted.
This could be returned with a rather flat loop angle and more closed bat angle because now you are facing a topspin not a medium-heavy backspin.
Don't forget to hit the ball on the top of its bounce.

Hope this helps :)
Good luck & God bless your training.

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
Hi Bryce, actually your problem is not uncommon at all. It's your timing.The 3rd ball comes to you a little quicker than you anticipated. I also believe that you have an open bat loop forehand that will definitely carry the ball beyond the table (it's okay if you are looping, taking the ball when it's lower than the table). Hitting the ball at highest point could be one of the solution (when you get really good, you can hit it on the rise). However having your bat close at approx <30degrees will help a lot. I hit the balls with my bat almost horizontal. As a result, my bat travels faster (less air friction) and the ball doesn't bounce high making my opponents having to dig the ball up, hence setting me up for the next attack.

Another reason is maybe you are standing too close to the table, inevitably reducing your reaction time. Try standing a foot or two after you serve. It's always easier to step forward to attack a ball than overcompensating by opening up your bat and moving backwards when the ball goes deep.
Try it, you'll be surprise. But always remember the golden rule of offensive FH attack, always always hit it hard..100%, no hesitations. Enjoy..

Reactions: sir.afezi
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Firstly, you should learn to loop off a push because usually the first attacking stroke is a loop off a push.
After the first attack, most probably your opponent will block the ball, in the other meaning, you are given a portion of the topspin you imparted.
This could be returned with a rather flat loop angle and more closed bat angle because now you are facing a topspin not a medium-heavy backspin.
Don't forget to hit the ball on the top of its bounce.

Hope this helps :)
Good luck & God bless your training.

My guess is that YosuaYosan has a great point here. If the initial attack is against underspin and then the second attack is against topspin you need a different angle on your bat and a different angle on your stroke. If you keep practicing third ball attack and then continuing the rally, you should start getting used to having to adjust to different spins and different kinds of shots. Hopefully, adjusting to different spins eventually becomes second nature.

That being said, those who made the comment that a video would help are right because if we can see a video of you doing this drill, then the comments can be about what you are currently doing and what you need to adjust to make the shots after the 3rd ball.

Last edited:
Mar 2011
Hi guys, I think Bryce have no problem looping the 3rd ball, whether it's topspin or backspin push. He has a problem when he wants to execute an attacking FH topspin, or a quick attack. It's quite an advance technique, but we must admit, there are times that we do execute 3rd ball attacks and finish a point. That's the problem that Bryce have, every time he tries to finish a point with an aggressive FH, the ball goes long.

Mar 2011
Sorry, it's me again guys. Having said the above, I'm not saying that looping is bad, just that sometimes it's nice to know that we have varieties in our arsenal. Looping will instigate a block from an intermediate opponent, but against better players, it's a queue for an attack..especially if the loop doesn't have penetration. What Bryce wants is an outright winner from his FH, which we very rarely get from looping, even from an aggressive loop.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I think u should go with the brushing motion which (after enough practise) involves less risk.

To gain power u could try to improve the speed u turn ur body with during the loop. If u get the timing right on pushing off ur foot, turning ur upper body, closing ur elbow and flicking ur wrist u get the maximum amount of spin and power. I'm not sure if I say this all right since I'm not English :p But this all helps to get maximum movement speed on the bat. U want this moment to be the moment ur bat touches the ball.

But against some players it is wiser to play a spinny slow topsin after they block than a powerful spin. It really depends on the opponent. If u are facing a very good blocker ur power spins will only come back faster as u hit harder. So that is something u have to keep in mind: use spin and speed wisely ;)

Mar 2011
Nice video Bryce, I know exactly what you mean. What ma long was doing was offensive spin, and this is where you have a problem. I am not going to over complicate the matter coz it's not.
1. Early preparations. Get into shape early before unleashing the shot, and timing is crucial.
2. Keep your body low, strong knees.
3. Brush the top of the ball, not at the back.
4. Control hit as hard as you can. You have to use your entire body.
5. Ball placements, vary it.

everything above this is true. what is say might be repeated but when looping back spin you want to hit the ball at the highest point or the peak of the bounce and use the backspin allready on the ball to your advantage. Its like looping topspin but u dont quite skim the top of the ball but a little lower. hope this helps

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Bryce .. from what I have heard my seniors in my club say this is a problem everybody has ..so don't worry about it ... just keep this in mind when hitting it ( offensive loop or control loop )
... I am going to go little bit forward than usual .... tell me if this helps .. it sure did help me .. but most important .. don't get disheartened easily and keep on trying :)

says http://www.facebook.com/video/?id=100002098293963
says http://www.facebook.com/video/?id=100002098293963
Sep 2011
Top Spin

Hey guys. I have had this problem for quite some time. Usually when i do 3rd ball attack or an offensive forehand stroke, i usually hit the second one long as my opponent blocks it. When i trained with my coach who was playing chopping against me, he said that my second attack was too rushed and asked me to wait for 2 seconds after the ball touches the table. I tried it and it didn't really work for me so please give me your insight on this.
Thanks.

With your problem every body has problem while hitting Topspin on cut ball .
I would like to suggest that if your back swing and shoulder rotation should be at speed of ball coming to you and open the bat angle almost 80 to 90 degree to the face of the ball and put your left leg forward and rotate your shoulder forward. the ball will land low .

Regards
Shreeshaila