Greetings from Ireland!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2015
Read 1 reviews
Greetings,

My name is James, and I'm 56.

I've been playing off-and-on since the '70s, since club nights usually clashed with chess: went to the UK in '92, returned to Ireland in 2008 to look after my mother until now (gone into a home), and looking to get back into playing again since this most recent break (haven't played since 2008).

Hope to get some advice from members on recent developments in rubbers, etc.

Kindest regards,

James

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Welcome and use a good bull crap filter when Carl and Der_Echte say something... Everyone else is a lot more straight up. :D

Sent from my NSA SpyPhone using TroubleMakerTalk

Yep, those guys Der_Echte and UpSideDownCarl, be careful. Sometimes I don't think they know what they are even trying to say. But when they talk about the goon squad, the trap door, the secret hideout or Pro and National versions of rubbers, that stuff is on the up-and-up.

Good to have you here. Lots of people who know what they are taking about and will be able to give you good information.

Just don't let the goon squad catch you with that special Ma Long's Personal H3 National Blue Sponge virus that has been going around. If you don't eradicate it early, it infects your mind and you may never recover. It is the worst version of the EJ virus yet discovered.

Sent from TheDepthsOfTartarus via TheHouseOfHades

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2015
Read 1 reviews
Greetings,

Thank you all for the kind welcome!:D

I hope to learn from, and contribute to, the forum.

Having used Chinese rubbers, it's too late for the "blue virus" warning.;)

Although I'm not sure for what "EJ" stands?:confused:

Kindest regards,

James

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
EJ = equipment junkie.

Many of us are rabid equipment junkies who try and buy rubber after rubber and blade after blade in search of the most lethal, deadly invincible weapon like the table tennis equipment version of the Wand of Destiny from Harry Potter.

Many think the secret lies in knowing the secret handshake that enables you to acquire Ma Long's or Xu Xin's personal versions of DHS rubbers from their secret stash.

I'm sorry to hear it is too late. After a few months on the forums you just may need to join loopaholics anonymous. [emoji2]

Aside from clowning around, good to have you on TTDaily.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2015
Read 1 reviews
Greetings,

EJ = equipment junkie.
Ah, that makes sense... Thank you.

Many of us are rabid equipment junkies who try and buy rubber after rubber and blade after blade in search of the most lethal, deadly invincible weapon like the table tennis equipment version of the Wand of Destiny from Harry Potter.

Many think the secret lies in knowing the secret handshake that enables you to acquire Ma Long's or Xu Xin's personal versions of DHS rubbers from their secret stash.
So, if someone-who-shall-remain-nameless already has three bats...?;)

In my - I mean, "his" - case, three Stiga bats:

A All-Round Classic, aka the Hans Alser Legend from the '70s, and later, a Energy WRB and Clipper WRB in the '90s for some extra "oomph" in hitting, usually all made-up at the start of the season and then transitioning through as "he" gets into the groove.

I'm sorry to hear it is too late. After a few months on the forums you just may need to join loopaholics anonymous. [emoji2]
... And "he's" already a looper.:eek:

Aside from clowning around, good to have you on TTDaily.
Likewise, good to be here - where I've obviously found fellow sufferers!

And I'm also a Waldner fan.

Kindest regards,

James

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
So, if someone-who-shall-remain-nameless already has three bats...?;)

Uh-Oh. Darn, it is already too late. I knew it.

In my - I mean, "his" - case, three Stiga bats:

A All-Round Classic, aka the Hans Alser Legend from the '70s, and later, a Energy WRB and Clipper WRB in the '90s for some extra "oomph" in hitting, usually all made-up at the start of the season and then transitioning through as "he" gets into the groove.

Well, I think I can help you out a bit here: if you send me that Hans Alser blade I can check it out, tell you if it is okay and see if it has traces of the virus.

That sounds like an awesome collection you have there.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2015
Read 1 reviews
Greetings,

So, you want to check if my Alser has the dreaded L5 "Blue Sponge Virus", and quarantine it if it's infected, Carl?!

But that would mean risking members of the postal service, on both sides of The Pond, exposure to the BSV - including yourself, Carl. That'd be poor form for a new member, wouldn't it?:D Best if I keep it safely "quarantined" here.

Yes, thank you, Carl, it's an awesome collection - if I were only worthy of them skill-wise.

Kindest regards,

James

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Greetings,

Thank you, Suga D - now, if I could just find the "Like" button...

Kindest regards,

James

The like button appears after you have 5 posts. So you should be able to find it now. Look towards the bottom left hand side of any post.

As far as being worthy of the blades, you have them, you can feel that amazing snap and crunch that those old blades with top quality wood and craftsmanship have. You are worthy!

The virus only infects TT players and only if they know the blade is that valuable so it is safe to send to me by post. Hahaha.

As for me, I am so far gone the virus no longer has any effect. I mean, I am immune to the virus and never got infected so everything should be fine.

Good to have you on board.

Those blades you have are pretty special. Wood also plays better as it ages so, having a blade like that from the days when Stiga's quality was second to none and having them in good condition to play with is totally clutch.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2015
Read 1 reviews
Greetings,

Thanks, Carl, found the button and it works.

In terms of worthiness, it's more the fact that my table tennis "career" has been patchy - too many breaks to be as good as I might wish. The blades are very good and give me a lot of options rubber-wise, although I tend to be a OFF- player, ie, looper/controlled spin attacker. I;ll have to post suitable questions in the "rubbers" section for advice on what's optimal for the All Round Classic blade these days.

:D Still trying to get me to send you my bat? The postal service personnel might be table tennis players - they could be infected, so I daren't risk it;

Anyway, look forward to discussing various issues. I'll see you around, Carl.

Kindest regards,

James

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
In terms of worthiness, it's more the fact that my table tennis "career" has been patchy - too many breaks to be as good as I might wish.

Yep. I knew what you were saying. I was just letting you know, just because you have the best blades possible and imaginable, don't worry about that. You earned them by being there to buy them when they were new. No other requirements.

I have hit with one of those Clippers from the 90s. The feeling from the wood is pretty amazing. It is why I play with an OSP blade. They have done a good job of replicating that hand crafted, all wood, old Stiga feeling. OSP stands for Old Stiga Palatinus; Palatinus is the guy who hand crafts the blades.

So enjoy those gems. But if you ever want to donate the Alser to a good cause, make sure you give it to me and don't let Liten or anyone else persuade you otherwise. LOL.

Sent from MountDoom via TheRingOfPower

Reactions: Dragan Glas
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2015
Read 1 reviews
Greetings,

Yep. I knew what you were saying. I was just letting you know, just because you have the best blades possible and imaginable, don't worry about that. You earned them by being there to buy them when they were new. No other requirements.
Thanks, Carl.

I have hit with one of those Clippers from the 90s. The feeling from the wood is pretty amazing. It is why I play with an OSP blade. They have done a good job of replicating that hand crafted, all wood, old Stiga feeling. OSP stands for Old Stiga Palatinus; Palatinus is the guy who hand crafts the blades.
The old Stiga blades are pretty amazing - it's a pity they can't do the rubbers as well - which means we have to search high-and-low for rubbers that suit them. That;s one of the reasons I came here - to track down rubbers for the ARC (there's one for the glossary).

Glad you explained what "OSP" meant - maybe there should be a glossary of terms and acronyms. I've seen "ALC" mentioned - and "TB" as well.:confused:

So enjoy those gems. But if you ever want to donate the Alser to a good cause, make sure you give it to me and don't let Liten or anyone else persuade you otherwise. LOL.
Oh, you... *shakes head*

Kindest regards,

James

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Well, OSP is actually the name of the company even though it is an acronym. Here: http://ospblades.com

ALC means Arylate and Carbon weaved together into a layer. Arylate is a semi-soft plastic like material that, when weaved into a layer with carbon gives more dwell time and spin than the harder carbon would have had without it.

TB usually stands for Timo Boll in one of the Butterfly Timo Boll blades. So, TBS would be Timo Boll Spirit. And TB ALC would be almost the exact same blade with a fancier looking design for about $50.00 (USD) more.

ZLC is Zylon and Carbon. It is similar to ALC but Zylon is a bit faster, harder and slightly less dwell time than Arylate. So a TB ZLC would be a bit faster, harder and have a bit less dwell time than a TB ALC.

They also make some blades with Arylate and no carbon: IF AL (Innerforce Arylate) and IF ZLF (Innerforce Zylon Fiber).

Then there is H3 = Hurricane 3 and TG3 = Skyline 3: bet that one makes as much sense to you as it does to me????? TG = Skyline: can someone explain that one????

All of those fancy materials are cool. But for me, nothing beats a classic all wood blade.

For a slightly better understanding of what Arylate and Zylon are I will use another substance to explain: Kevlar is used in the making of some blades. Kevlar is also used in the making of bullet proof vests. They used to use Zylon for bullet proof vests. It works really well for about 5 years. Then the material sort of gets old and breaks down a bit and a 5 year old Zylon bullet proof vest, they eventually discovered, is about as bullet proof as cellophane wrap. Well, slightly more but less bullet proof than a holloween costume version of a bullet proof vest.

Anyway, Zylon and Arylate are similar to Kevlar in many properties but are much lighter so they work better for making blades where the manufacturer can say that the weight is 85 grams. Whereas most of the blades that have Kevlar in them weigh closer to 100 grams when they have a WRB handle.

WRB, I assume you already know stands for something silly that actually just means: very hollow handle so it should have actually been VHH instead of WRB.

I know, TMI. Hope you didn't mind my banter. I am really just entertaining myself on the subway ride to go play TT after work. LOL.

Sent from MountDoom via TheRingOfPower

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2015
Read 1 reviews
Greetinfs,

Thanks again, Carl, for the informative post.

Don't be fooled by my age - I do have a technical background (computer industry/IT sector), so I'm familiar with the materials, just not come across these particular acronyms.

And to return the favour, DHS' Skyline 3 is called TG3 because it's actually written "Skyline TG 3": the TG stands for "Technology Generation".:D

I know you're just having fun - I'm not that old that I can't enjoy banter. Yet.;)

Kindest regards

James