Rubber for begginer

This user has no status.
I've decided that I'll be buying the Stiga Allround Classic blade but would like to know what rubbers would be the best to pair with this blade as I'm a begginer.

Quick background, a few years ago (15) played daily for around 3/4h with pre-assembled rackets. Mostly top spin with forehand and chop with backhand.

Budget would be 20/30€

Thanks in advance for all the help :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Two ideas: get one of these two blades:

Stiga Allround Evolution (it is about the same price but a bit better for starting out.)

Or Galaxy 896 blade. This blade is only $16.00 (USD) and performs almost as good as the Allround Classic and Evolution from Stiga but it will save you enough money that you can get a higher quality rubber for your forehand than you would otherwise be able to afford.

Rubbers. One of these two combinations would be good:

BH Dawei 2008XP ($8.00)
FH Tibhar Aurus or Xiom Vega Pro.

BH Xiom Vega Europe
FH Tibhar Aurus or Xiom Vega Pro.

So if you got:

Galaxy 896 with
BH Vega Europe and
FH Tibhar Aurus

That would be a darn good setup.

If you got:

Stiga Allround Evolution with
BH Dawei 2008XP and
FH Xiom Vega Pro

That would be very good as well and cost about the same.

If you wanted the extra money saver you could do:

Galaxy 896 with
BH Dawei 2008XP and
FH Vega Pro

That would be quite a bargain and a great first blade.

Sent from TheSecretHideout using TheInfamousNSASpyPhone

This user has no status.
UpSideDownCarl, Thanks for the ideas!

The rubbers are a "little bit" over budget… I would be able to overcome that :)

Despite this, I would prefer something slower, for the time being, in order to improve the technique and when I’m able to get back some control over the ball change the rubbers to faster ones.

With this in mind… what do you think of this two:
BH: DHS PF4
FH: DHS Skyline TG2

Once again thanks for all the help!

(I tried to post the links for the data in TableTennisDB but I'm allowed to do it as I haven't reached 5 posts :D)

UpSideDownCarl, Thanks for the ideas!

The rubbers are a "little bit" over budget… I would be able to overcome that :)

Despite this, I would prefer something slower, for the time being, in order to improve the technique and when I’m able to get back some control over the ball change the rubbers to faster ones.

With this in mind… what do you think of this two:
BH: DHS PF4
FH: DHS Skyline TG2

Once again thanks for all the help!

(I tried to post the links for the data in TableTennisDB but I'm allowed to do it as I haven't reached 5 posts :D)
DHS rubbers aren't for begginers, but if you want to play DHS I would recommend you the DHS Neo Hurricane 3.

says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
Okay, I don't know very much about the international scene in terms of beginners rubbers.. But here in my club we usually advise new players (that have not played before) to start out with Stiga Allround Classic with Stiga Cobra 2000 or Butterfly Flextra rubbers, as they are old and cheap but still offers great control and a little catapult. If you are a bit above this, try the Tibhar Nimbus in a thin version, or maybe the Stiga Boost.. Whatever you do, don't pick a top of the line rubber from anywhere, it will be too darn fast and uncontrollable, if you are a beginner that is :)

Another trap that's easy to fall into is that with too fast equipment, you'll start thinking it's the racket that plays bad if you miss some shots, because you're technique ain't that good yet, and we don't want that, do we? ;)

Your thougts Carl?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I think the difference between Allround Classic and Allround Evolution is minimal but enough to make it so that the Evolution would probably be more worth it for most beginners.

There are so many rubbers that are on the inexpensive side. Another idea would be to go super budget since money seems to be an obstacle:

Galaxy 896 with Dawei 2008XP on both sides. That would come out to about $30.00 USD total.

And that would be a totally fine setup. It would not be too slow or too fast.

Really, there are so many good setups. But that would be better than the Allround Classic with the Flextra or Stiga rubbers and it would be much less expensive. And when I say better I also mean better for a beginner.

So if budget is an issue, go for the budget setup.

Go to colestt.com and figure out how to build a combo. He will glue it. Seal the wood. Or find another supplier that has the stuff.

In the end there are tons of things you could get.

The setups I recommended in the first post are beginner setups. This is one notch down but still fine. I could use this setup and play fine.

I still would get the Galaxy 896, BH Dawei 2008XP and FH Aurus or Vega Pro. Either of those FH rubbers are great because they have great control and would be perfect for anyone on the beginner side of things trying to learn to spin. Those are not top of the line rubbers but great allround rubbers that have control while still having high end potential. That total setup with Aurus would be $74.00. Total price with Vega Pro would be $63.00. It still is less than anything you could hope to get the way you were thinking about things.

But you can make your decisions for yourself. Because, there really are so many good setups you could get and you are not falling into the trap that a lot of newer players fall into of trying to get the fastest, newest, most expensive stuff.

Allround Classic with Flextra would still be fine. But Dawei 2008XP is actually just as good and much less expensive.

You could start with those DHS rubbers too. But you would learn different technique with DHS rubbers. It is worth starting with softer rubbers that allow you to learn how to get the ball to sink into the sponge while you brush. Whereas with tacky hard sponge rubbers like H3 you do learn how to brush but the sponge is too hard for you to learn how to get the ball to sink in also.

Sent from TheSecretHideout using TheInfamousNSASpyPhone

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
Relatively unknown but you can also get the Spinlord Tiger on both sides from ttdd.de . It's basically like a Butterfly Sriver with more speed/spin.

http://www.ttdd.de/Spinlord3.html

I don't think this brand is that known outside of Germany but developing players or people looking for control in my club normally get Spinlord stuff as the quality control is good. They later move on to either Tenergy or sometimes the Tenergy alternatives.

Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
Relatively unknown but you can also get the Spinlord Tiger on both sides from ttdd.de . It's basically like a Butterfly Sriver with more speed/spin.

http://www.ttdd.de/Spinlord3.html

I don't think this brand is that known outside of Germany but developing players or people looking for control in my club normally get Spinlord stuff as the quality control is good. They later move on to either Tenergy or sometimes the Tenergy alternatives.

Spinlord is widely known for their pips, the Dornenglanz, but never heard they've made anything else :p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
Spinlord is widely known for their pips, the Dornenglanz, but never heard they've made anything else :p

Oh, yeah basically most of the players using pips are using Spinlord stuff in my club. I'm using Spinlord Tiger on my Backhand. Opening loop, driving, blocking, receive, short game, flicking is excellent. Counter looping against topspin is not that great but I don't need to counterloop with the backhand just yet.

This user has no status.
Thanks for all the replies!

So, current setup (not closed yet, more ideas are welcome) looks like this:

Stiga Allround Classic WRB (couldn't find anywhere in Europe the Allround Evolution but this one seems similar)
FH: Spinlord Tiger (2.0)
BH: Spinlord Adler (1.8)

I'll check with the coach tomorrow to get his ideas on this and if he's OK with it I'll be ordering ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
Thanks for all the replies!

So, current setup (not closed yet, more ideas are welcome) looks like this:

Stiga Allround Classic WRB (couldn't find anywhere in Europe the Allround Evolution but this one seems similar)
BH: Spinlord Adler (1.8)

I'll check with the coach tomorrow to get his ideas on this and if he's OK with it I'll be ordering ;)

I would recommend at least getting Spinlord Adler II on the backhand instead of the regular one. The regular one is too slow IMO

You can also get the Stiga Allround NCT if you can't find the Allround Evolution. I've played with that blade for around a year. It's basically the same thing (Allround Classic with one extra upper gear).

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
After going through this with the coach last night we decided to go with:

Stiga Allround Classic WRB
BH: Spinlord Tiger (2.0)

Thanks for all the knowledgeable ideas and information

Great! Let us know how it plays :)