good Forehand, weak Backhand - Bh Rubber setup?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2015
Essentially my weapon is loop shot on fH. I use the JoolaRhzm for this and like it very much.

I have the Joola on the backhand side as well and tend to defend more with bh. Also my serve is a backhand chop serve - heavy backspin/sidespin and sometimes top to change it up. Serve is very good but backhand strokes are not as good.

Bh Block is good with the Joola but on loop I tend to go long and would like more spin and control on the push. Was thinking about these two rubber:

Razka 7 soft or Hurricane 3 NEO.

Want some thoughts on these for me and also what thickness, 2.0 or max?

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I would recommend, at the expense of sounding like a real ass, by saying to get a modern control rubber, like Tibhar Genius or whatever you like (Razka 7 is also this category) and get 20 units of coaching sunny side up.

Don't sweat the exact rubber so much as the class of rubber and get coaching and practice and with time you develop.

Reactions: Liten
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
i don't know these two rubbers but i had also this problem, strong forehand, weaker backhand... especially the top spin...

decided to train more and changed the backhand rubber from max to 2.0 and a little bit softer (from donic acuda s1 to s2)

for me that works fine

Questions: How long are you playing? What is your basic level? How much work have you put into improving your BH?

I am trying to see if the issue is putting the working into improving your backhand and using a control rubber as Der_Echte has already suggested. Or if you should think about some form of pips backhand.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I play 10 hours a week and have coaching. Am rated at us1400 right now. I decided to go with soft sponge for bh and order vega europe 2.0. That is a modern control rubber i think?

Cool. That is the right choice at the level you are at. Get the coach to help you work on your backhand.

Also, if you can get access to robot, using a robot to groove your BH stroke can really help you develop it.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I play 10 hours a week and have coaching. Am rated at us1400 right now. I decided to go with soft sponge for bh and order vega europe 2.0. That is a modern control rubber i think?

That rubber is ONE of several hundred possible suitable rubbers for that category.

Keep in mind that whatever you improve upon in practice and get good at, that it is a whole new world when you try to successfully do it in a real tourney match. Takes many months to break even in points won/lost vs before, sometimes a year. At the end of that year or months though, you will be way more solid and ready to move up another level with more work. Even with same rating your game would be different and only a matter of some more work and time for the rating and playing level to move up.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Carl, Next Level, and a few others will confirm that I use control rubber on BH myself, for years it was $8 XP 2008 from colestt.com, now it is Nexy Elpis. With this control rubber class, I can do a pretty wide variety of BH shots, even if the rubber is a bit worn out and oldish. Control class allows you to perform a lot of the shots well, but not extraordinarily well, like some offensive or defensive rubbers that do several things great, but other things crappy.

Hang in there and listen, do the work, and keep plugging away.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2015
Really appreciate these tips, thanks to you all. Practicing all of this and will get better. Wanted to verify I picked a good rubber to develop my bh with. My coach does multi ball with me and it has helped a lot, but the Rhyzm is just tough for me to control on bh side and I believe the softer Europe will be better. The video above is excellent - thank you.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
And I can confirm they Der_Meister can use 2008XP and play great BH shots and make players his level decide to avoid the power and spin of his BH.

I have seen it first hand.

And he can do the same with the Elpis and I have seen him use a 2 year old sheet of totally dead H3 as though it was a great rubber for BH. His BH is pretty darn good.

Sent from TheSecretHideout using TheInfamousNSASpyPhone

Reactions: SpinWins
Questions: How long are you playing? What is your basic level? How much work have you put into improving your BH?

I am trying to see if the issue is putting the working into improving your backhand and using a control rubber as Der_Echte has already suggested. Or if you should think about some form of pips backhand.

I am an amateur player in the 6th of 10 leagues in austria... i think I play for about 20 years now... I liked to play table tennis... but since I think 3 years I really love it. My strong forehand allowed my backhand to be only for pushes and blocks (strong controlled passive blocks)... For a year now I train especially my backhand loop but I have the problem, that I used a wrong arm movement for about 19 years?!? I don't think about pips, I want to play aggressive on both sides... the movement gets better, good spin, good speed, difficult for the opponent to play against...but in matches I get into the old wrong movement... anyway... I will improve my backhand to get it into matches and until I reach this goal I love playing table tennis :)

thx carl for all your reviews and comments

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
There are a lot of ways of changing habitual patterns of movement. It takes a lot of work though. A robot, being fed balls to your backhand multiball style, self-hitting, shadow drills in front of a mirror so you can see your stroke. A combination of all those till you can grove your backhand will be the first part.

The self hitting thing is like feeding multiball: you bounce the ball then you hit it. It makes it so that it is easy enough to focus on the correct arm mechanics because you don't have to adjust to the ball. It helps you get that stroke into the drills where you do have to adjust to the random element.

But changing habitual patterns of movement that you have been doing for such a long time takes a lot of work.

Sent from GroundZero from my NanoWeaponOfMassDestruction

Reactions: Suga D