Jennifer Wu Rio Olympics GoFundMe Fundraiser

This user has no status.
Hi i am helping Jennifer Wu (Yue Wu) spread the word about her GoFundMe fundraiser. She won the 2015 Pan American Games gold medal and qualified for the 2016 Rio Olympics. Funds for Olympians in the United States is scarce. All USA Olympians are self reliant and not funded by there government. Hopefully you can take some time to follow the links and read her story and maybe donate to help her endeavors. A little or a lot will go a long way and Jennifer is a very friendly person, she will always take a picture with you and answer your questions if you have ever met her in person. Thanks for your time and attention to this request. :)

Recent Article from USATT Insider
http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Table-Tennis/Features/2015/August/04/Yue-Jennifer-Wu-Interview

USATT Athlete of the Month July
http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Table-Tennis/Features/2015/August/10/Athletes-of-the-Month-July

GoFundMe link
https://www.gofundme.com/jz5nzx6s

ScreenHunter_481 Oct. 06 14.25.jpg

Dear friends,

Last July I won two gold medals in the team and single events at the Pan American Games. Winning a gold medal in the Singles event has automatically qualified me to be on the US Table Tennis team for the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio. I am the second athlete to qualify for the US Olympic team and the first athlete to qualify for the US Olympic Table Tennis team. I cannot put it in words how happy and excited I am to be this much closer to realizing my dream of becoming a Table Tennis Olympian!

In the two years leading to the US National Team trials and the Pan American games I had to work very hard to prepare. The first thing that I focused on was my overall fitness. I ate healthy food; I ate more protein and vegetables and less carbs. I added running to my daily routine to improve my stamina. I did hot Yoga to improve my flexibility and agility. In the process I lost more than 15lbs, but the most amazing part is that I felt great and very happy doing it.

I also worked with my coaches to improve my game strategy, ball placement, service and service return. I increased my training sessions at the local clubs in New York. I also spent months at time training in Taiwan and China to improve my speed and to expose myself to different playing styles. I played many practice matches with more girls and less guys, and that was a key for me to get used to Women table tennis.

Now that my ticket to Rio is confirmed, I must work even harder. What I need the most now is to gain experience playing the women that I will face in Rio in 2016. The Olympics is a chance that comes once every four years and I do not want to be surprised in Rio; I want to be prepared and ready. The USATT has signed me up for two ITTF tours, Poland Open and Sweden Open in October this year. To prepare for these two tours I paid for my travel to Beijing to train in China for a month before the tournaments.

I was born in 1990 in Beijing and I started playing Table Tennis there. However I moved to the US when I was 18 years old. My Table Tennis skills developed and improved a lot while in the US.

Since you are reading this, most likely you have been involved in the sport of Table Tennis in some way or another. And as you may already know, our sport does not have access to a lot of resources. Table Tennis athletes have to pay their own tournament entry fees, travel expenses, coaching fees and sometimes equipment. The prize money and the sponsorships do not even come close to covering these expenses. Most athletes turn to full time jobs, coaching jobs, and to their family and friends for financial support. Playing in tournaments - domestic or international – and training camps always mean lost income to most athletes.

Here are my four goals:
1- Improve my game and bring up my level
2- Gain experience and study the players that I will compete against in Rio
3- Improve my world ranking
4- Win something
I cannot promise that I will be successful but I promise that I will try my best and work very hard. In order to prepare, I have to play more international competitions especially the ITTF tours, and I have to spend time training in Asia and Europe.

I am sharing with you how much it will roughly cost me to participate in these tours and practice camps. Any help, small or big, in sponsoring some of this cost is greatly appreciated! Your help could be financial or could be as simple as a “like” or a “share” of this post with your friends!

Thank you and best regards
#GoJenniferWu

Reactions: TTFrenzy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Always happy to help people achieve their dreams. This thread should be sticky, video sessions of her practice/progression/struggle are essential, so players/forum members/internet users around the world can feel as a part of her whole effort. It will also raise and keep constant attention to the fundraising, I know its hard to montage/edit videos but it will keep people interested and enthusiastic (1 video per 2 weeks/month is good I believe). I wish you all the luck you can get!

Last edited:
Reactions: 42andbackpains
This user has no status.
I dont understand why USATT doesnt sponsor their athletes?

USA Olympians are not state or government funded. Only sponsored by there respective associations. The USATT has less than 8 thousand active members. Since Table Tenniss is considered a minor sport over here, so the funding is nearly non existant. Most Olympians in the United States are funded by family, friends, donations and fundraisers. Many of the Olympians in the United States have a full or part time job. I have linked below a article below by CNBC. This article talks about the difficulties of the modern USA Olympian. Many of times the fundraising falls short. I am just trying to help my clubmate and friend to reach her goals. Thanks

http://www.cnbc.com/2014/02/04/the-toughest-race-for-olympic-athletes-is-the-one-for-funding.html

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D