Boosting tenergy

says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
If you get the T80 and boost it, you'll get a softer, more flexible, faster and slightly heavier rubber.. That's what you'll get. So to answer your question: No, you won't turn it into the FX-version, you'll get more of a "T80 version 2.0 super upgrade"..

This user has no status.
So the booster working on the sponge on regular 80 actually makes it heavier? When I use tenergy or used Bryce, I've always used to fx versions. I just thought the "fx" made the rubber sound cooler. Lol

But as I've learned a little more about the equipment I'm seriously considering switching to the regular versions of tenergy. Especially since I saw the timo boll and jun mizutani video for tenergy showing the differences of the rubbers.

Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
So the booster working on the sponge on regular 80 actually makes it heavier? When I use tenergy or used Bryce, I've always used to fx versions. I just thought the "fx" made the rubber sound cooler. Lol

But as I've learned a little more about the equipment I'm seriously considering switching to the regular versions of tenergy. Especially since I saw the timo boll and jun mizutani video for tenergy showing the differences of the rubbers.

It's not only for the 80, but for all rubbers, if you add something to it, you'll also add weight.. How much weight depends on how much you boost.

The FX-version is softer and a tad lighter than the regular versions, apart from that they are quite similar. The FX-should give higher arc and better control than the regulars. But ofc, equipment is always a matter of personal preference, if you like it, doesn't matter what pro using it, it's not like a football boot that is good or bad depending on the model, every rubber is good or bad for someone :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Since the boost is oil and the oil doesn't evaporate (unless you are using paraffin) the amount of weight you add is the weight of the oil you add.

If you use paraffin, as it evaporates the weight slowly goes back down.

Sent from GroundZero from my NanoWeaponOfMassDestruction

Reactions: Overseer Kevin
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
It's not only for the 80, but for all rubbers, if you add something to it, you'll also add weight.. How much weight depends on how much you boost.

The FX-version is softer and a tad lighter than the regular versions, apart from that they are quite similar. The FX-should give higher arc and better control than the regulars. But ofc, equipment is always a matter of personal preference, if you like it, doesn't matter what pro using it, it's not like a football boot that is good or bad depending on the model, every rubber is good or bad for someone :)

Good info, but one correction - FX gives lower arc. You can see it in 05FX most clearly and any of the others if you test it.

This user has no status.
Good info, but one correction - FX gives lower arc. You can see it in 05FX most clearly and any of the others if you test it.

I noticed the Tenergy video explaining the different characteristics of the Tenergy series also noted that the fx version gives a more direct trajectory. But in the hands of certain players I suppose they can get more arch out of the fx version than the average player.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I noticed the Tenergy video explaining the different characteristics of the Tenergy series also noted that the fx version gives a more direct trajectory. But in the hands of certain players I suppose they can get more arch out of the fx version than the average player.
I'm a notoriously confused decent level EJ, an EJ who argues with other EJs about the value of EJing, and we decent level EJs are all on the same page so we don't really argue - I tend to argue more with the naive EJs.

In general, getting too much arc out of any Tenergy 05 or 0FX is a sign of imperfect contact compared to what the rubber was designed to do. The rubber is designed to generate high spin and encourage closed contact on many shots, including looping heavy backspin, once you have sufficient racket head speed. That said, if you want to play high arcing shots, Tenergy 05 or 05FX will support it on thin brush shots. In general, the fact that T05 encourages closed racket angles makes it encourage heavy spin and less speed on all shots, including shots with proper closed contact that were designed to be drives.

The bottom line is that TT is about technique, not equipment. Once you have good technique, you will have preferences, but you can play decently with anything. I for example, have become a heavy topspin player with drive tendencies, so I like high spin rubbers first and foremost, preferably with hard sponge, but if you gave me something slightly softer and even maybe something medium soft, it is likely I would adjust without issue over time.

Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
I'm a notoriously confused decent level EJ, an EJ who argues with other EJs about the value of EJing, and we decent level EJs are all on the same page so we don't really argue - I tend to argue more with the naive EJs.

In general, getting too much arc out of any Tenergy 05 or 0FX is a sign of imperfect contact compared to what the rubber was designed to do. The rubber is designed to generate high spin and encourage closed contact on many shots, including looping heavy backspin, once you have sufficient racket head speed. That said, if you want to play high arcing shots, Tenergy 05 or 05FX will support it on thin brush shots. In general, the fact that T05 encourages closed racket angles makes it encourage heavy spin and less speed on all shots, including shots with proper closed contact that were designed to be drives.

The bottom line is that TT is about technique, not equipment. Once you have good technique, you will have preferences, but you can play decently with anything. I for example, have become a heavy topspin player with drive tendencies, so I like high spin rubbers first and foremost, preferably with hard sponge, but if you gave me something slightly softer and even maybe something medium soft, it is likely I would adjust without issue over time.

If you, as an EJ, was to name a rubber that encourages an open racket angle, what rubber would you suggest? Just curious :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
If you, as an EJ, was to name a rubber that encourages an open racket angle, what rubber would you suggest? Just curious :)
Relatively speaking, the Calibra LTs, Juic Nanospin II or even among the Tenergys, Tenergy 64 when passive blocking vs. Tenergy 05. Even MX-S that I use right now isn't the same as MX-P or T05 in favoring very closed racket angles but it is also the most confusing rubber that I have ever used. Most of the rubbers I used prominently until recently favored very closed racket angles (Tenergy 05, Baracuda, Bluefire). If I tested a rubber that was less than high throw, I would avoid it because I knew I would be looping backspin into the net too often. IF it wasn't for the MX-S reviews from Drinkhall and Smith, I would probably have discarded it after using it the first time just because of the throw angle. I persevered because of the spin and the desire to use something with a different signature from Tenergy as it would make my loops harder to read for people used to facing 05 and Hurricane.

My coach asked me when I was backhand looping to him last week whether I had changed rubber because he could block my loop at table height consistently where before, he consistently had to hold his racket higher. Since I used to use Tenergy 05 and switched to MX-S, that says something.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Ok. Let me get some therapy here. When does trying to find the right match of blade, rubber, and playing style flip over to becoming a EJ?

When you think this search is a substitute for training to improve your game, get enamored with some "right" matches, then switch them out when the honeymoon period is over for no good reason.

The worst kind of EJing is when people switch repeatedly between blades and rubbers in the same general class. This week, Tenergy, next week, Evolution, next week, Bluefire, next week, Maxx/Rasant/Tenzone/Omega etc. or this week, Korbel, next week, Powerwood, next week, Offensive S etc. OR this month, Viscaria, next two months, Timo Boll ALC, next, Timo Boll ZLC.

There is nothing particularly wrong with being an EJ if you just enjoy trying out equipment. The problem is when you think the right setup will transform your game. This is misguided.

There is No right match of blade, rubber and playing style - playing style is a choice, and if you don't have a playing style you like, use an all round set up that allows you to play a wide variety of shots while you learn then specialize your set up when you decide on your playing style. Blades and rubbers are choices too, but usually, once they are within a specific range and suit your specific style, you aren't going to get better by changing them. You will get better by training, and that training will improve your ability to use any similar class of rubbers and blades to make similar shots.

There are also many misconceptions about blades and rubbers but I digress. In general, it is best to start on the ALL/ALL+/OFF- range for both blades and rubbers, and then upgrade or down grade form there, depending on how one intends to play. The simplest reason is that you need to learn to control the ball and play full strokes, and also strokes that hold onto the ball initially, and also play the ball at a pace that gives you time to recover. If you use something fast, the ball will fly off your racket before you have time to manipulate it unless you develop really good touch and timing skills, but those skills are easier to develop when you start with a slower blade.

This user has no status.
Great answer. I'm down right now because of a work injury and can't play at all (knee surgery soon). So I'm floating through the table tennis cyber world reading review about this and that rubber, blade, player, etc. Even boosters which I've never done before, but might give it a shot when I get back. I guess with the idol time I'm having a lot of time to imagine and contemplate the "maybe I should" phrase. Lol

But I am going to boost the heck out of this 64fx. Just to see how it plays on steroids.

not a good idea, tenergy is already a tensor rubber, meaning that the topsheet is already stretched to its maximum and the sponge has been made so that it's springy and has the kicking effect. Boosting tenergy might destroy those features that you pay for 70 USD.

This user has no status.
not a good idea, tenergy is already a tensor rubber, meaning that the topsheet is already stretched to its maximum and the sponge has been made so that it's springy and has the kicking effect. Boosting tenergy might destroy those features that you pay for 70 USD.

You've just killed my dreams. Ok, maybe I'll try a older sheet first. Just two layers maybe?

sure, when the rubber is almost dead and you think it's no longer playable, why not ?

but then again, it's up to you, it's your money, you'll never know til you've tried. This curiosity might haunt you till your death. It's better to try it and report to us for our knowledge too :p

I'm not rich person so I'm too afraid to modify my tensor rubber.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
First off, what NextLevel said. That is an excellent post.

I have used plenty of different stuff. I always enjoy a few moments of hitting with something new to try different setups. But what NextLevel has said is pretty accurate. Most rubbers work on most blades. Most blades work with most rubbers.

The rubbers that Stiga makes are made in one place. The rubbers that Butterfly makes are made somewhere else. The rubbers for most of the rest of the "tensioned" rubbers are made at the ESN factory. If you are talking about Tensor type rubbers there are pretty much 3 sources. All of the ESN rubbers have slight differences. However, regardless of the slight differences, they are all made in the same place. So they have comparable characteristics. I am obviously taking the Chinese rubbers out of the equation, but they are, for the most part, different in kind from the rubbers we are talking about.

So if you like one Stiga rubber, chances are you will like others even though they are not exactly the same. If you like T05 you will probably like T80 and T64 even though, each will take a few hours to adjust to and you may like one more than the others. Same can be said for all the ESN rubbers.

Now, here is the real kicker. If I was to give you a blade and rubber combination and you were to hit with it and think it was just awful, and I somehow forced you to do all your training with that setup for two months and you trained 3 hours a day, 4-5 days a week, by the end of a month or, at most, two months, that setup would feel very natural and you would feel sort of like it was made for you. Even though you thought it was no good at the beginning. From that point when it started feeling like it was made for you, you would judge everything else based on your experience with that blade which, at first you did not like.

Say it was really slow. When you picked up a faster blade you would feel and think: "this is too fast." Say it was really fast, fast enough to give you problems with your control and to force you to use less impact on your strokes; when you tried something slower you would think: "this is too slow." Even if the slower speed setup would be much better for your overall development.

We judge everything else based on what we are already used to.

I have two friends who are pro players who are both from Europe. Both were both on the junior national teams for their respective countries. Independently, they both told me that, when they were developing, their coach did not ask what they liked or wanted but gave them a racket setup and that was what they had to use. For both, the blade was all wood and 5 ply. It was in the Off-/All+ speed category. For both the rubbers were basic rubbers. These days, the rubbers might be an early version of a tensor rubber or a mid speed high control tensor. They were given Sriver or Mark V. These days the rubbers could be the conventional ones. They would be fine. But a rubber like Xiom Vega Pro (FH) and Vega Europe (BH) would probably be fine.

There are several reasons why using a setup like this, at least until you are about 2100 (USATT rated) is that the extra feeling from the wood and the extra dwell time and slightly slower speed, allows your nervous system to figure stuff out without you even being aware that this is happening. The thing is, with a blade like a carbon blade that is fast, you have a lot less dwell time and a lot less of an ability to feel what happens when you contact the ball. And a blade like that also makes it so, you can't feel when your contact is not good and the carbon makes it so the shot quality is still not bad when the contact is not so good. So it helps make a bad shot seem, well, not so bad.

Whereas, a 5 ply, all wood blade with good flex, good dwell time and lots of feeling, helps you feel with you make good contact and when you make bad contact. It is as important to feel when you make bad contact as when you feel the good contact. You are also rewarded for the good contact and sort of punished for the bad contact with a worse shot. But this feedback actually helps your nervous system sort some stuff out so that your contact improves much faster than if you used a Carbon blade.

The feedback from the blade also helps your system learn the touch it takes to keep the ball on the surface of the rubber longer, how to make more impact and still have a delicate, brush contact. That is also harder to learn with a blade that has carbon that makes all different impacts feel much more similar.

Once you are at about the level of 2100, those carbon blades may do more for your game. But before that, usually not.

And any good, top of the line Butterfly or ESN rubber would be great on a 5 ply all wood Off- blade for someone who is at more of an intermediate level. Whereas, the same blade with a slightly more simple rubber, not as fast or spinny, would make sense for someone who is starting.

As NextLevel has already said, this idea of searching for the holy grail of blade and rubber combination, is a ruse. All rubbers work adequately on all blades. Some blades have more feeling. Some rubbers have more or less feeling. Sometimes you put a rubber on a blade after a previous rubber and you think, the other rubber felt better. But if you play with it for a few hours, you get used to it. And then they will work fine together. So that is more, your nervous system getting used to something new than anything else.

And if you are using a ZJK Super ZLC, you have already spend more for your blade than you should have.

Don't believe the marketing hype. I was joking when I said Bryce HighSpeed was best on the newest Butterfly blade.