Timo Boll Spirit

Hi all, im debating on getting the Timo boll spirit as soon as I can but just need some feedback from others just to make sure im making the correct choice. If possible could you let me know what the blade is like for blocking, smashing, speed and control and what the straight handle is like thanks for any replies.

Also th rubbers will be using is Tenergy 05 FH and Tenergy 05fx BH if this helps thanks :D

This user has no status.
they're going to ask for
your level
current set up
and why do you want to change, what about your old set up isnt right for you
i've not played with the blade and probably are not good enough to give a good answer ;) but trying to get the information in early.

good luck with the choice!

No problem passifid thanks for the reply. Well at the moment im using a innerfoce alc and it didnt really work for me with the tenergy rubbers a it was a little slow for me and I didn't like the handle. If It helps im a two winged looper where my backhand is my weakest point who likes to also block and smash thanks again.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
TB Spirit will be a bit crisper than the IF ALC and a bit harder. You will get more speed but lose a bit of control and dwell time.

But passfid is right that your level will help us. The IF ALC is a pretty good blade and would be good for many different level players all the way to top rated players.

I get not liking the handle. Is it that it is not thick enough for your hand? Also that you want a straight handle. Is that what you have on IF ALC as well or did you get a flare?

The thing about the speed of the blade: if you are close to semi-pro level then that could make sense to have a faster blade.

If your level is more in the intermediate tournament level player (say, around 1800-1900 USATT rating) then using the slower blade, even if not fun, will ultimately get you to learn how to put power from the legs hips and weight transfer into the ball. So the slower blade will ultimately help your technique to progress much more than getting a faster blade.

That being said, if IF ALC is slow for you then TB ZLC or ZJK ZLC may be more of what you are looking for. Because, while TB Spirit is faster than IF ALC, it is not much faster.

TB ZLC would give you better pop.

But all those blades have skinny handles. So I am not so sure any Butterfly handle will be what you want if you don't like the Innerforce handle.

But who knows, it might be that you dislike the IF handle for a different reason from what I am guessing.

Sent from GroundZero from my NanoWeaponOfMassDestruction

Reactions: NextLevel
Thanks Carl Im not sure what my usatt rating is but I would say im a intermediate player. Sorry I didnt mention it but the innerforce blade I had was flared. I did use the joola fever for a couple of years and was a decent speed for me (if you have used it so a similar speed to that is possible thanks again

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Okay then. Joola Fever is comparable speed to TB Spirit. Why not just get a Joola Fever though? That is a really good blade.

By the way, you still did not explain about the handle. Is it that the IF handle is too small? If yes, what about putting one of those grips on your handle: sort of like what is on a tennis racket.

You may not realize it, but if you are intermediate, and that racket is a bit slower than you are expecting, continuing to use it will really, actually help the body mechanics of your strokes. A faster blade will make it so your body feels it doesn't need to get behind the stroke. A faster blade will cause your to use less impact power and ultimately slow your development.

It may be worth using a grip to make the handle work for you so you can keep using that blade for another 6 months at least. After that you may be able to feel how it has helped your technique.

Sent from GroundZero from my NanoWeaponOfMassDestruction

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
It is one of the greatest blades ever made. Somebody near you must use one so you can have a hit with it? I think you won't like the handle.

Reactions: NextLevel
It is one of the greatest blades ever made. Somebody near you must use one so you can have a hit with it? I think you won't like the handle.

better than viscaria?

Talking about handle, It's the reverse lol... So far I've always played using blade with handle like viscaria (including pg7) so I've never tried those huge round handle that fits in the grip

Thanks Baal. I have used the spirit for a short amount if time but the blade I tried the person said the runners were not glued on properly to in so I will get some dodgy shots. I was using the straight handle and thought it was ok considering I have always used flared handles, but if anyone has tried it what is the anatomical handle like ? Thanks again

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I play with a Viscaria myself and prefer it to TBS, but TBS is still a great blade.

I like the handle, also think the one on the TBS is fine, but was just commenting that people who like larger handles, like the original poster specified, will probably not like the TBS handle.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The way I hold a blade, the handle is not much of a factor. The biggest part of the grip for me is how my index finger and thumb hold the blade face stable. The other fingers are really just relaxed. So any handle is fine for me. But I remember going from a Stiga Legend Flare to the flare on a TB ZLF. For the first few days the handle felt like a popsicle stick. It did not bother my playing, but it felt thin. Then I got used to it and I stopped noticing it. It felt totally normal to me after a few days.

But maybe the handle won't be an issue. If you hit with one, you would know for yourself. Since you asked, do they make the TBS with an anatomic handle? If you already know you like the straight handle, I would not worry to much about the handle of the blade.

What made you stop using the Joola Fever. I think both TBS and Fever are good blades. I would say, they play a bit differently, but not that differently and they are both in the same category as far as playing qualities. Similar speed, spin, dwell time. Different top ply and different kind of composite ply but they still do very similar things.