New? Training Trick

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
Hi guys. I figured something out recently during a training session that I thought you might find interesting or valuable. I was hitting with a coach, and we were working on my backhand. One of the problems he said I had was that my shoulder moved too much, especially closer to the table. And no matter what I tried, the habit was a bad one and it was hard to break. This went on for about a week, and then I came up with an idea. I (being a lefty) put my right hand behind my back, and grabbed my left shirt sleeve and pulled it towards the right side of my body. The result was that I couldn't move my shoulder more than a few inches. When I tried again, the problem, during the time that I had my sleeve in my right hand, was solved. So now I am doing this while training and shadow practicing, and I'm confident the repetition correctly will help me break the habit when I take it off.

Any comments? Any other training tips?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It sounds like Ariel Hsing's forehand fixing machine. There was a video where Ariel had one of those workout rubber bands with loops tied into it and it attached to a belt that made it so her upper arm couldn't move and she had to use only elbow movement and upper arm rotation so she could get the forearm snap into her loop.

Sounds like you did something similar for backhand.

Sent from GroundZero from my NanoWeaponOfMassDestruction

Last edited:
Reactions: agold
says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
Feb 2015
Read 6 reviews
It sounds like Ariel Hsing's forehand fixing machine. There was a video where Ariel had one of those workout rubber bands with loops tied into it and it attached to a belt that made it so her upper arm couldn't move and she had to use only elbow movement and upper arm rotation so she could get the forearm snap into her loop.

Sounds like you did something similar for backhand.

Sent from GroundZero from my NanoWeaponOfMassDestruction
Yes itvwas in the movie topspin....