PDA

View Full Version : Forehand serve base technique questions

SpinWins
10-14-2015, 01:06 AM
My coach is teaching me fh serve. Basic underpin serve and movement to build more spins off of. I can only go once a week and practice every day between sessions.

Here is what he show me :

- take the paddle back farther on backswing
- loose fore arm and wrist on downswing
- stop sharp on contact and keep arm/wrist loose. do not follow through

Here is what I wonder about :

body weight distribution - I start low on left side of table with knees bent and left foot in front. weight on left foot, shifts to back foot when ball is toss. on contact i shift back to left foot. is this good?

ball toss. I toss ball so falls back a little from table and I contact it on right side of body, close to belly button height. I feel close to body contact is good, but does this sound right?

I have more questions, but I start with these and see if there is any suggestion or resource you can suggest along with answer to these questions.

NextLevel
10-14-2015, 01:19 AM
Google "Backspin serve like a boss".

SpinWins
10-14-2015, 02:02 AM
Thank you. This video show me that I am doing everything properly so far.

Shiro
10-14-2015, 03:48 AM
Yes that is correct. On the ittf youtube channel, there is a video called basic serves. Marcos Freitas shows you how to do those serve. He says if you want a short serve, you tend you hit the ball like at your chest about. If you want a long serve, you hit the ball when its a lot lower.

Der_Echte
10-14-2015, 04:17 AM
Dont sweat exactly HOW high you impact, but on your timing and how you impact the ball by allowing it to penetrate the topsheet and you accelerate the bat. That is how you get spin. Contact very bottom of ball for short underspin. Practice this impact in your hallway or as you wait for a table, just toss ball up, serve it standing up to go about 3-5 feet and try to get it to spin back to you.

manosb
10-14-2015, 11:51 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWpB0HlPXuA

SpinWins
10-14-2015, 04:46 PM
This video is very good as well. Thanks. I realize I need to search for keywords - Pendulum serve.