Forehand serve base technique questions

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2015
My coach is teaching me fh serve. Basic underpin serve and movement to build more spins off of. I can only go once a week and practice every day between sessions.

Here is what he show me :

- take the paddle back farther on backswing
- loose fore arm and wrist on downswing
- stop sharp on contact and keep arm/wrist loose. do not follow through

Here is what I wonder about :

body weight distribution - I start low on left side of table with knees bent and left foot in front. weight on left foot, shifts to back foot when ball is toss. on contact i shift back to left foot. is this good?

ball toss. I toss ball so falls back a little from table and I contact it on right side of body, close to belly button height. I feel close to body contact is good, but does this sound right?

I have more questions, but I start with these and see if there is any suggestion or resource you can suggest along with answer to these questions.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Dont sweat exactly HOW high you impact, but on your timing and how you impact the ball by allowing it to penetrate the topsheet and you accelerate the bat. That is how you get spin. Contact very bottom of ball for short underspin. Practice this impact in your hallway or as you wait for a table, just toss ball up, serve it standing up to go about 3-5 feet and try to get it to spin back to you.

Reactions: SpinWins