Any pointers on my reverse pendulum

This user has no status.
You hide the contact with your free hand which is illegal.

Oh... It's that obvious? I've been working on that. I really didn't know how much that off hand affects balance. When I move it out of the way serving seems awkward. I actually use to hit my off hand with the serve sometimes. Embarrassing. Lol

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Read 6 reviews
Yes, he is right, your serve is illegal. The serve is illegal because your hand is in the way. If you want the serve to be short, you want to hit the ball when its falling down around your chest area. If you want the ball to be long, hit it around your stomach or lower than the chest area. In order to make your serve legal, try to practice moving your hand away as soon as you throw the ball up.

This user has no status.
Yes, he is right, your serve is illegal. The serve is illegal because your hand is in the way. If you want the serve to be short, you want to hit the ball when its falling down around your chest area. If you want the ball to be long, hit it around your stomach or lower than the chest area. In order to make your serve legal, try to practice moving your hand away as soon as you throw the ball up.

Yes. That's what I do to correct the off hand. I move it out of the way as soon as it goes up. This video is old, I just decided to upload it and get some points.

I've noticed that serving around the chest area slows the speed down. It does bounce shorter but the speed is reduced for me tremendously.

Lowering the contact point allows me to keep speed on the serve while still keeping the serve short (bouncing twice on the opponents side). Which is my goal because it takes time away from the returner. And it disrupts the returners timing as the serve both stays low, and has enough speed and spin to really get a good bounce off of their racket.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Too much sidespin on all the backspin serves. That's my view at least.

Your wrist action also looks much less than it could be.

You know what! You're absolutely right. That's what I've been trying to correct. I've been experimenting with brushing down on the back of the ball instead of coming under the ball. I think that's a little more deceptive, but it's harder to keep speed on the serve and keep it low because it bounces harder on the table off my racket. Coming under the ball is pretty telegraphed and easier for the opponent to see. Still working on it though.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
You know what! You're absolutely right. That's what I've been trying to correct. I've been experimenting with brushing down on the back of the ball instead of coming under the ball. I think that's a little more deceptive, but it's harder to keep speed on the serve and keep it low because it bounces harder on the table off my racket. Coming under the ball is pretty telegraphed and easier for the opponent to see. Still working on it though.

Coming under the ball is fine. Maybe it's the video but it's not clear you are getting real backspin - the serves look like mostly sidespin to me even as you label them backspin. However, do realize that while curved trajectories look good, the ball is easier to manipulate in the hands of an experienced returner. Most people at the lower levels just don't face reversed pendulum with backspin so they will push it into the net. That's my experience.

Reactions: Ilia Minkin
This user has no status.
Coming under the ball is fine. Maybe it's the video but it's not clear you are getting real backspin - the serves look like mostly sidespin to me even as you label them backspin. However, do realize that while curved trajectories look good, the ball is easier to manipulate in the hands of an experienced returner. Most people at the lower levels just don't face reversed pendulum with backspin so they will push it into the net. That's my experience.

They are backspin. But you're right, they do have side on them as well. More side than I want. It feels like I'm hitting the ball at 4:30 (bottom+side) instead of 6:00 (completely under).

This user has no status.
The balls I use are marked and allow me to see the spin on the ball. I noticed on my backspin serve that the ball does this.

1. I hit the serve (bottom+side)
2. The ball hits the table on my side (still bottom+side spin)
3. The ball hits the opponents side but on that bounce, when the ball rises, I notice the spin is now totally side. No more backspin at all.

I think that can trick some people, but it's still not the spin I want. I mean really, I'm looking for almost a reverse pendulum, ghost serve amount of backspin. Lol I want to see the ball bounce back towards the net. Lol

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Not sure if anyone said it. But bending your legs will help to keep the ball low which would make it harder for the opponent. Just try to bend you legs more.

Oh. I forgot to mention that part. This video was made while I was at home nursing a knee sprain. My right knee was stiff as a board. I couldn't bend it at all. That's why I'm walking funny. Lol

Thanks for that tip and I'm going to really work on it. I do naturally stand up pretty straight. A little forward lean but not nearly as much add I need.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yeah, in watching, I saw what NextLevel said. The ones you say are backspin look more like side. Some even look like side/top.

But I would say the big issue is, when you can you should get s lot lower and on contact upper back rounded forward with knees bent.

Obviously the left hand in the way is an easy correction.

When you are about to serve, you do an action that might telegraph to your opponent what serve is coming. You do the wrist action before you get set to serve. Here that is fine. In match play you may want to do one that isn't the serve you are going to do to throw in extra deception.

Sent from Godric'sHollow using the ResurrectionStone

Reactions: NextLevel
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Oh, one more detail: it is fun to put the face with the name so thanks for posting this. I also get a kick out of hearing your between serve trash talk. It makes it fun. Keep it up.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
Oh, one more detail: it is fun to put the face with the name so thanks for posting this. I also get a kick out of hearing your between serve trash talk. It makes it fun. Keep it up.

I'm rolling. Thanks for the tip. I didn't notice that I gave the serve away. Oops! And yes, the trash talk is just something I'm known for at the club. It's harmless trash talk and it helps keep people having fun instead of being too serious. As you know, some people can be very very very serious. Lol Especially the under 1600 players.

So this is what I do. I see a very good player and challenge him to a match. I'll ask him "Are you ready?" "You sure you're ready?" "Don't be nervous, I'll take it easy on you"

Just imagine a under 1600 player talking like that to a 2000+ player. Lol They think I'm crazy and bust out laughing.

Talking trash also makes better players play their best game and not take it easy on me because they're so much better.

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
I haven't read the whole thread, but here is my comments.
what I see when you are executing the service is your elbow needs to be approx shoulder height before contacting the ball. Also you need body rotation into the ball when contacting to use the energy of your body to generate spin/speed. Focus on the brush and where you brush the ball.

This user has no status.
I haven't read the whole thread, but here is my comments.
what I see when you are executing the service is your elbow needs to be approx shoulder height before contacting the ball. Also you need body rotation into the ball when contacting to use the energy of your body to generate spin/speed. Focus on the brush and where you brush the ball.

Thanks Giangt for the video. I notice that you've got my two favorite blades listed. I'm actually sitting here waiting on my hurricane long 5 to arrive now. But my goal is to get a W997 or N301 or W968. I love t05 but I prefer the lighter fx version. Right now I'm playing with t64fx.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
"It's gonna hurt you!" Hah, love it man.

I have the same problem with putting mostly sidespin on the serve instead of backspin, so I don't have much advice to offer. I find it nearly impossible to go forward and underneath the ball without completely turning my shoulders and hips to face the opponent. But It may be that I just hit the ball too late in the motion...

I actually got frustrated with this serve (due to constant whiffing and an inability to control/understand it), so I shelved it back in 2014. Your video has inspired me a bit so maybe I'll get back to practicing it again.

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
Thanks Giangt for the video. I notice that you've got my two favorite blades listed. I'm actually sitting here waiting on my hurricane long 5 to arrive now. But my goal is to get a W997 or N301 or W968. I love t05 but I prefer the lighter fx version. Right now I'm playing with t64fx.
You are very welcome! Yh I have most of the DHS custom blades :) the N301 is koto outer while the W997 and W968 are limba. I see you have the ZJK SZLC... Why are you changing? Or are you just EJ'ing ;)