serving

This user has no status.
Hi all

I am looking for a new server to learn to improve my play. I use a pendulum and a reverse pendulum and a tomahawk. I try to vary them short and long but I would like something new. Any ideas. Also what is your favourite serve. I would say mine is tomahawk. Any questions just ask.

I don't know about your level, but if you feel that you can place the ball differently without giving away your plan to your opponent to early I would add deception. Make the backspin look like no-spin, make a no-spin look like backspin, and so on. I base my serving completely on deception as I can't generate that much spin. Yet. I'm 47 and still learning.:). I make a lot of points on my serves only using placement and deception.

This user has no status.
Do you know any videos which could help me with that. I am guessing that my opponent knows what spin it will be but not always. If you know any can you give me a link. I wouldn't call my self a very high level or a low level I am in the middle I would say.

Well, I'm no expert but "Google is your friend". Search for "table tennis service deception" and look for videos. Some useful information to start with in there, I guess.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2015
The key to serving really is practise practise practise. Recently I've been trying to add deception to my reverse pendulum by following through the ball just enough to impart spin on the ball but not enough so that my opponent can see where my bat is finishing. Using this technique I can quite easily switch from no spin, heavy back and back/side whilst keeping the motion quite similar for all three. The same with placement as well. No spin reverse pendulum very short to the backhand side (im a leftie) can be a killer if you disguise it as heavy back.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I would practise, practise, practise but I don't have where. I play twice a week but otherwise I don't have any where else. Do you know any ways to practice without a table?

First of all, I believe that most serve practice should not be done at the table! People who practice serves mostly at the table never develop good spin on their serves! This video gives a flavor, though at TTEdge, there is a step by step series on the serves you already do.

Other videos with critical serve exercises away from the table. For the Stefan Feth serve, note the racket angle in the prescribed exercise - it is critical and many people miss the details and get it wrong:

Let me try and provide others - and please don't complain about the number of TTEdge videos - I will just post the videos I have learned a lot from and Brett taught me a lot about serve deception. Hopefully, the general ideas will help you think broadly about serves and how to transfer the ideas to your serves.