The moment that you switch from inverted to short pips ou long pips

says https://www.facebook.com/eduardo.eduard.33/videos/vb.1000...
says https://www.facebook.com/eduardo.eduard.33/videos/vb.1000...
Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
Hey people,

What's the best moment that we know we should change from inverted rubber, to short pips or long pips? For example, a forehand looper that uses backhand only to hit, lob or block should change to short pips? Or a guy that learns to play with a variety of strokes, like spinny topspin, chops at middle or far distance should play with long pips on backhand??

I think that's a good question to think ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
It depends a lot on how old you are and what your goals are in the sport. I think that if you have enough practice time and facilities, the best answer is to learn BH loop :) Even if you switch to SP afterwards, you can backhand loop with SP, or twiddle and BH loop with inverted. And the cool thing is that once you learn, you will hardly forget it and will be able to revitalize it anytime you want. Also, my first coach was a very old-school defender, but he had the whole range of strokes available, including BH topspin.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
It is also good to know when to give up and switch back.

There is only one way to know. Try it.

Reactions: eduardo1995filipe
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Well, I am 50. I am not getting any younger. But I also know that, one of the things I truly love about playing is that feeling when you hit a loop that is crazy spinny and has a nice hook and arc. The feeling of putting massive spin on the ball, of timing a delicate stroke just right to counter someone else's massive topspin, that explosion off the topsheet when you time the counter just right, hooking the ball around the net and getting it to slide from the topspin and the trajectory around the net, running around and getting exercise, blasting the ball with full power and full spin.

So, as of now, for me, the answer would be: NEVER. For me that seems like a no-brainer, since I care much less about winning and much more about being able to make cool shots that make people's jaw drop. Or, about doing something fun that is also exercise.

For someone else, I am sure the answer is much different.

One day I want to film one of my third ball attack drills so I can get footage of some of my favorite shots.

Sent from Godric'sHollow using the ResurrectionStone

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Nov 2010
I have gone the other way, from pips to inverted as I have got in better shape.
I am 62 yo. I can still move quickly for short periods of time.
I played for years with my 2 Firewall Plus + T25 + GD Talon 0X.
Now I am playing with my TBS+2xMX-S 2mm.
The people at the club say I play better with the TBS and inverted rubber.
I tried playing with my LP against the coach and it was a disaster.

Balls can't be hit too fast with LPs because the incoming ball usually has top spin and so the ball goes back with back spin that causes the ball to float. This gives a good opponent too much time to loop kill the ball.

I still like playing with LP or SP from time to time just to keep in practice but using inverted strokes with pips only hits the ball into the net. I can still use SP strokes with inverted though to kill spin or get what people call the short pip drop ball effect.

My practice partner has also moved from c-pen with LP on the back to c-pen double inverted.

Reactions: eduardo1995filipe