New Equipment Set Up

Adam, are you going to junior club on Monday? And to answer your question about the tenergy, because i know your playing style and stuff I think Tenergy 05 for FH and Tenergy 05-FX for BH because your backhand is weaker than ur forehand so the 05FX Will be slower and more controlable for you.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Even without seeing Adam play I would say that T05FX is often a better choice on BH. So, the advice from Ownage should be considered as coming from an excellent source and knowledge base.

If money is a factor in the choice of equipment then choosing something like Evolution EL-P FH and FX-P BH would be good as well. So would Victas V>01 Stiff on FH and Regular on BH.

Sent from Godric'sHollow using the ResurrectionStone

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
bolt, read Ownage's post. He has the right info. It applies the the FXs as well.

05 = slowest, most spin, highest throw angle
64 = fastest, least spin, lowest throw angle
80 = right in between on all counts.

Reactions: BeGo
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
To me, the only issue is price. With the Price of the Evolution rubbers coming down as much as they have and that deal from Dandoi where you can get 4 Evolution series rubbers of your choice for something like 113 Euro which comes to about $32.50 (USD) a sheet, the idea of being able to get 4 high end, top quality rubbers for less than 2 Tenergy rubbers would cost, sounds sensible to me.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Adam's getting his new rubbers today, anymore suggestions would be appreciated before he buys them
In general, when saying a rubber is slower or faster than another, it has to be clearer what one is saying. All people mean is that when you spin with T80FX vs. T05FX, T80FX has less arc, so it comes through the table faster. Also, the spin generated is a little lower for that reason. However, this means that the T80FX has a more linear trajectory and control on all shots, including blocks and hits, and that makes it easier to use for someone with a weaker backhand - 05FX is more spin sensitive so the angle at which the ball comes off doesn't allow you to open the paddle as much.

But in this case, I don't even think ANY Tenergy is for someone with a weaker backhand per se, as T80FX supports a versatile BH better. Where I find T80FX to have the advantage over 05FX is on the flatter shots (blocks and hits) and if you want a more powerful/faster BH topspin. Therefore, I would only strongly recommend 05FX if your primary focus is on the BH loop with spin orientation.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I am sure Adam will be happy with the Bluefire M2 and M3 rubbers.

Adam, when you have hit with them for a while you will have to come back and tell us how you like them. Good luck.

This is a while ago. I had T05FX on BH when I was using my TB ZLF and T05 on FH. I was hitting with Marc Croitoroo. And he had T80 on his BH. (TB ALC blade at that time and T05 on FH). I wanted to see how T80 felt for BH. When we switched rackets back, he said he liked the 05FX better for BH than his T80. I did too. He may have had different reasons for that than me though since he is at least 500-600 rating points higher than me. [emoji2]

But then again, I always like things with bigger arc and more spin than speed. And funny enough, and seeming to contradict what I just said, I like T64 for BH almost as much as I like 05FX. But I somehow didn't love T80. I probably didn't hit with it long enough though.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Yes I am, played with them today and found what I was looking for. I now do not have to generate all the speed and spin by myself and can now focus on refining my technique. In the end the reason I bought the bluefire was because it was significantly cheaper (100NZD or 68USD) and I felt I did not really need the tenergy when I could buy the bluefire. I will inform you more in the next few days :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I am sure Adam will be happy with the Bluefire M2 and M3 rubbers.

Adam, when you have hit with them for a while you will have to come back and tell us how you like them. Good luck.

This is a while ago. I had T05FX on BH when I was using my TB ZLF and T05 on FH. I was hitting with Marc Croitoroo. And he had T80 on his BH. (TB ALC blade at that time and T05 on FH). I wanted to see how T80 felt for BH. When we switched rackets back, he said he liked the 05FX better for BH than his T80. I did too. He may have had different reasons for that than me though since he is at least 500-600 rating points higher than me. [emoji2]

But then again, I always like things with bigger arc and more spin than speed. And funny enough, and seeming to contradict what I just said, I like T64 for BH almost as much as I like 05FX. But I somehow didn't love T80. I probably didn't hit with it long enough though.

Yeah, but T80 is not T80FX... the people I have seen use T80FX have got me thinking really hard about it. That's how well they play with it. On the other hand, the guy(kid actually) with the best backhand in my club uses T80. So it could go either way. I am the wannabe using MX-S...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Yes I am, played with them today and found what I was looking for. I now do not have to generate all the speed and spin by myself and can now focus on refining my technique. In the end the reason I bought the bluefire was because it was significantly cheaper (100NZD or 68USD) and I felt I did not really need the tenergy when I could buy the bluefire. I will inform you more in the next few days :D

Evolution over Bluefire, but that's just me. Good luck with it and let us know how it shakes out.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Get T80FX for the BH - disagree with Carl on this one. T80 or T80 FX is actually the rubber I would use right now if looking for a change - it allows you to play all the BH shots with control, hits, loops and blocks.

One of our Boston TTC O60 Hardbat players (dude has been USATT 2000+ for decades) has another bat with SP FH and T80FX on BH on a slow ALL blade. I had a hit with it and can say there really isn't anything else that is smack in the middle ground of slow to medium speed and high spin with the control. Problem is, that rubber costs WAY too much.

If cost is a problem, just look at the BH rubber on MY setup or from the Der_Echte special.

That 2000+ level hardbatter was ALREADY a tough load to handle with his hardbat, he could hit medium fast drives right at your crossover from any contorted position... and his knees were 100x worse than Next Level's knees, ole dude extra skilled Hardbatter could take exactly ONE step in a rally and that is it. He could still take that one step and hit from a position that is far from optimal and still land it medium fast to the worst place for you. Against a shot like that that is sudden and surprises you, about all you can do is Ur best Gumby bend to the side and softly hookshot the ball to his wide FH corner. With zero recovery footwork, pretty much all you have to do is land your return there... Problem is, his drive is so sudden, fast enough and so well placed, it wins the point very often.

That is a lesson to those conventional players who think you must win every point with BRUTE topspin FORCE and Brain Dead always max topspin IGNORANCE.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yeah, but T80 is not T80FX... the people I have seen use T80FX have got me thinking really hard about it. That's how well they play with it. On the other hand, the guy(kid actually) with the best backhand in my club uses T80. So it could go either way. I am the wannabe using MX-S...

And in the end, I am the guy who is comfortable saying that, when it is a high end rubber, if you use it for long enough, you will get used to it and find your groove with it and it will work for you.

I, personally, seem to adjust to changes in equipment faster than a lot of people. Changing from Sigma II to Tenergy was easy. I did not feel more than 5 min adjustment. Changing from Tenergy to Victas was easy. Same, no more than 5 min adjustment. Changing from Victas to Evolution was the hardest change I have made. That took about 1 hour of play. But really, it happened in the first 10 min of serve and receive drills.

Changing from a TB ZLF to an OSP Virtuoso Off- took about 15 min. That is probably the biggest change I have mentioned so far. Changing from the V- to a V'King (from slow blade with Limba top ply [soft] to fast blade with Koto top ply[hard]) took 1 hour. That was a much bigger change than going from TB ZLF to V-. Once I made that change I was able to go back and forth from one to the other effortlessly and without thinking about it. Then the switch to my current blade, the OSP Virtuoso Plus was easy. Which also makes it easy for me to switch from my V+ to my Kim Jung Hoon and my Peter Pan very easy as well.

But, ideally, you just stick with what you have and groove your strokes and your game with it and it will work for you.

And I have a feeling I would like T80FX more on my BH than I liked T80. So, that would probably have been a good suggestion. But I think Adam was thinking of T80, not 80FX. And in the end, I am sure the Bluefire he decided on will be top notch and a valuable savings.

Glad to hear it fits the bill for what you were looking for and now you feel you can work on your technique with it. Good stuff.

This user has no status.
Just assembled my new blade my brother bought me. Blade - Hurricane Long V
Rubber - Xiom Omega IV Pro (red) Max
DHS Skyline 2 Neo (black) 2.2 [boosted 3x's]

So this was my first time putting my own stuff together. I wasted about three applications of Fine Zip glue trying to get the rubber on. That stuff is different from what I've seen guys use at my club (fine zip is a lot thicker). So did I ask the guys at the club what they use? Nope...I ordered more fine zip. Lol

The edges look Ok. I used a fresh blade but I still got a couple rough spots. Especially the retrimmed [boosted] t64fx. Those pimples didn't stand a chance... Had to get the scissors to freshen it up a bit. Lol

Glue oozing over the side. Lol It looks a mess. Lol