Donic Glues

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I have not tried the Donic Blue Contact glue but this is what I can tell you about why I like Vario Clean.

With the old VOC glues you could take rubbers off relatively easily and just press them back on without actually needing to add more glue if you were lazy. The glue stayed sticky and I actually like cutting my rubbers without pressing them on and then pulling them off and pressing them back. This is because I don't want them pressed and stretched when I cut them. Then I press them fully after they are cut. Just a personal thing. And I was able to do this with Vario Clean which stays sticky after it dries.

The downside of Vario Clean is that it is very hard to remove because it stays sticky. But I don't mind that. The only reason I remove glue is if I messed up and made the glue uneven. Otherwise I just leave it or add new glue on top if I need to. I always like several layers of glue anyway. I feel that gives better rebound. I could be wrong but I like the way that feels.

The glues that dry and feel more like silicone are easier to remove because you can pull it off in large pieces or, if you are skilled, in one piece. But they are harder to apply and if the rubber starts coming off, you have to reglue instead of just pressing the rubber back on.

But I would love to hear what the Donic Blue Contact glue is like.

Sent from the Oracle of Delphi by the Pythia

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
Read 3 reviews
I have used donic vario before as well as butterfly free chack II and a DHS glue (can't remember the name). I always go for the 500ml bottle of donic vario. It's not perfect but for the price and volume supplied it does a good job. For me it takes around 20 mins drying time, one layer on blade and rubber does the job for me. It has often proven a bit tricky to remove, particularly if the rubber is old and has been lets say more than 3-4 months since glueing. Still I just use my fingers and have patience and it's fine. Sorry can't comment on the Donic Blue Contact though since I have never used it...

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I live, die and swear by Varioclean. And if you glue with thick layers, it is easier to remove. But I don't and don't care. I want my rubber to stick and restick easily. Varioclean does that for me.

I also seal my blades so I am happy when something sticks well and is hard to remove. If the blade is sealed, it is also easier to remove. I like using more than one layer of glue. But I also like that it doesn't dry too fast. It makes it easier to put on and you can use many different things to apply the glue. Like, with faster drying water based glue it is suicide trying to apply the glue with a paper towel. But with Vario Clean one quarter of a paper towel folded to a 1 inch width (approximately) will make it so you can apply the glue at whatever thickness you want and apply it in a very even layer.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I also seal my blades so I am happy when something sticks well and is hard to remove. If the blade is sealed, it is also easier to remove. I like using more than one layer of glue. But I also like that it doesn't dry too fast. It makes it easier to put on and you can use many different things to apply the glue. Like, with faster drying water based glue it is suicide trying to apply the glue with a paper towel. But with Vario Clean one quarter of a paper towel folded to a 1 inch width (approximately) will make it so you can apply the glue at whatever thickness you want and apply it in a very even layer.

I actually don't seal and have never sealed my blades. Maybe they come factory sealed or something. Maybe they are destined to go bad in two years. But I still love and live and die by Varioclean. I find it way, way, way less harsh than the stuff I see other people promoting like Free Chack and Finezip. I don't have problems with my blades chipping or anything like that. MAybe I just don't use enough glue.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
No need to seal blades. I do it because I like to. I have my own special way of doing it. But, it is not needed with a lot of blades. I got in the habit originally because blades like some of those Stiga blades have a really thin, delicate Limba top ply. So it helps. But I like to do it because it makes the rubber come off smoothly and I put such a thin layer on, you can't even see its there. I use Min-Wax Wipe On Poly and I apply the sealant with a folded paper towel. It takes me about 3 min to apply and 12 hours to dry. I also always sand the wings of my blade so that the part where I hold is nicely rounded almost like what a lot of Penhold players will do. I shape it to my hand.

Once the blade is sealed I never worry about damaging the top ply when taking off an old rubber. It has never happened to me.

But there is no real need with a good blade.

And I do love the Donic Vario Clean glue.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Varik, it actually really depends what you´re lookin´for. If you buy rubbers and let them stay on the racket until you buy new ones, then the Vario Glue is your perfect match, but if you take off your rubbers every once in a while for a little performance enhancement ;) i find the blue contact way easier to get off the sponge PLUS if you put on more than 2 layers it LEGALLY adds a little speed.
So now you can decide, what you are up to. ;)

EDIT: i tried and used both of them, and that´s my personal experience

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
one more thang: the blue contact was actually made for large pore sponges like bluefire etc.

Hey Suga D, thanks for the info. In your opinion, how does Blue Contact compare to Revolution #3 High Viscosity?

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I like the R3 more, but they are not very far apart. I know people that prefer the blue contact cause it doesn't smell as strong as R3.
But performance-wise they are close, the R3 just comes off the sponge a little easier, but BC ain't far behind.

But as you guys already mentioned: Vario clean does the job perfectly, if one isn't into sponge enhancement.

Flash his suggestion actually sounds also interesting. I've never heard somebody do that before. Has anybody else tried this?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
A lot of guys in NYC use Tear Mender. It seems to me to be just like the Xiom glue I have and don't like.

BTW: with Vario Clean, you can pull a rubber off a racket, leave the old glue how it was, boost, or reboost the rubber, and just press the rubber back onto the blade without needing to add any new glue. The boost will make the Vario Clean as though you just applied a fresh coat. The booster is a solvent that works on rubber cement and Vario Clean is really just like a water based rubber cement.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
A lot of guys in NYC use Tear Mender. It seems to me to be just like the Xiom glue I have and don't like.

BTW: with Vario Clean, you can pull a rubber off a racket, leave the old glue how it was, boost, or reboost the rubber, and just press the rubber back onto the blade without needing to add any new glue. The boost will make the Vario Clean as though you just applied a fresh coat. The booster is a solvent that works on rubber cement and Vario Clean is really just like a water based rubber cement.

I've done this a lot recently with my old and dead rubbers... I am sure it should work for any rubber though...

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
If the old glue is on, and the original glue job was good and even, it should stay exactly how it was. If you are not adding any more glue and the old glue still sticks, it should not change anything. If you add booster, the booster adds weight no matter what method of gluing you use. But if you are lazy like me and use something like Vario Clean, where you can take the rubbers off one blade and slap them on a different blade without having to go through the hassle of taking off old glue, or putting new glue on and the glue still grabs and adheres to the backup blade without any other hassle aside from taking the rubber off and slapping it back on the same blade or a different blade, then I am going to do that any time I can.

And darn that saves me a lot of glue. I have already used far more of the Xiom glue since I got it 3 months ago than the Vario Clean. I had a 200 ml bottle of Vario Clean they I got 2.5 years ago and it lasted me over 2 years because I could just take the rubber off and put it right back on without worrying about adding glue or anything like that. With this Xiom glue I got a 500 ml bottle and I have used way more than 200 ml just trying to figure out how to get a good glue job with one set of rubbers.

For me the choice is obvious. And I am actually happy to hear that I am not alone and NextLevel likes Vario Clean as well.

But if you want to take the old glue off and put fresh glue on every time you reglue, by all means. To each his own.

Reactions: Suga D