No Bounce Receive - Table Tennis Miracle!

Would this be a legal shot?

• Legal

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Illegal

Votes: 25 89.3%

• Total voters
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
You don't see this to often! Imagine if players started doing this!

Question:

Would this shot be legal or illegal? :)

<iframe src="https://vine.co/v/e3vhBd7B2u2/embed/simple?audio=1" width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script src="https://platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js"></script>

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Catching the ball like that is pretty cool and not easy to do. The rest is clowning around. It is fun. But silly at the same time. But I could see someone like Waldner pulling something like that out in a demonstration match as a joke.

I like his two ball serve where he tosses one ball up and has the other hidden and served the second one as you are watching the high toss of the first. Hahahahaha.

Sent from the Oracle of Delphi by the Pythia

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
This is cooler:

Watch particularly the Backspin Catcher at 1:13 and Grabbing and Punching at 2:34. And if anyone on here can do the first one for even 20 seconds I will be amazed. Suga D, what happened when you tried the first one? I tried that too. It is freakin' hard.

But is the shot in the original photo legal. hahahaha. That is a sill question. That is not a shot! That is a trick. Is Freitas's Grabbing and Punching legal? It is just as legal as Freitas's grabbing and punching. And, hopefully the people who voted that it is legal are joking around. But if they are not, I have a bridge to sell them.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Oh yeah, and I don't think Frietas is using Tacky rubbers so the skill is not dependent on the rubber. But on the skill, touch and feel of the player. And I have seen Xu Xin and Zhang Jike do the backspin catcher with H3 so that one doesn't have to be Euro/Japanese non-tacky rubber.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Insane feeling by Freitas. I will try the catch at 1:13 as soon as I get the chance.

Notice how the ball is spinning in place on the rubber and it is almost like it is floating on the rubber and going from not touching to barely touching over and over so that, instead of having a long dwell, it is actually like he is having hundreds of contacts with almost no dwell but holding the ball in place with his touch. :)

I love that video and have to thank Killerspintt for bringing it to my attention originally. :)

Unfortunately, even with tacky rubbers ball will bounce multiple times on racket when catching ball with spin. It is clearly seen in Marcos Freitas video.
Also you can find video of catching backspin ball with Xu Xin, and also multiple bounces are present.

In real match, it is next to imposible to umpire to judge whether ball bounced on racket or not, so I believe any umpire will call such catch as fault.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
This is cooler:

Watch particularly the Backspin Catcher at 1:13 and Grabbing and Punching at 2:34. And if anyone on here can do the first one for even 20 seconds I will be amazed. Suga D, what happened when you tried the first one? I tried that too. It is freakin' hard.

But is the shot in the original photo legal. hahahaha. That is a sill question. That is not a shot! That is a trick. Is Freitas's Grabbing and Punching legal? It is just as legal as Freitas's grabbing and punching. And, hopefully the people who voted that it is legal are joking around. But if they are not, I have a bridge to sell them.

I'll try to post my backspincatcher asap. ;) But i never make it in the first attempt, rather 4th or 5th... But slowly i'm getting there.. :) And carl, i love that corking sound it makes when i catch... I'll try to get that on cam, too...

But that bouncin' on the edge of the table is really hard. I practice on walls, mirrors, but that edge is really really narrow and is even more difficult IMO. Freitas really's got a very fine touch. That Vid is really amazing and inspiring.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Watch particularly the Backspin Catcher at 1:13 and Grabbing and Punching at 2:34. And if anyone on here can do the first one for even 20 seconds I will be amazed.

I've had one attempt better than this one, which was 32 bounces and I believe it lasted about 10 seconds. Don't have that one on Youtube though.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

I've had one attempt better than this one, which was 32 bounces and I believe it lasted about 10 seconds. Don't have that one on Youtube though.

That is pretty darn good. I've been practicing it on a wall and it is crazy hard. On the edge, much harder. You have it for a decent amount of hits. Pretty impressive in my opinion.

I'll try to post my backspincatcher asap. ;) But i never make it in the first attempt, rather 4th or 5th... But slowly i'm getting there.. :) And carl, i love that corking sound it makes when i catch... I'll try to get that on cam, too...

But that bouncin' on the edge of the table is really hard. I practice on walls, mirrors, but that edge is really really narrow and is even more difficult IMO. Freitas really's got a very fine touch. That Vid is really amazing and inspiring.

That will be fun to see.

I need more work, but at some point I will try the one on the edge of the table for video.

The backspin catcher, I feel like an utter fool when I try it. Hahaha.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Carl,

Just did it for about 25 seconds and around 90 hits. Should have it uploaded here in a bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
That is pretty darn good. I've been practicing it on a wall and it is crazy hard. On the edge, much harder. You have it for a decent amount of hits. Pretty impressive in my opinion.

Not sure why the video quality came out so horrible on this one. I just realized that I am down on one knee and Freitas is not... not sure if that makes any kind of a difference.

Reactions: TTHopeful
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Not sure why the video quality came out so horrible on this one. I just realized that I am down on one knee and Freitas is not... not sure if that makes any kind of a difference.

It might make your legs work more the way Freitas is doing it. But it does not change the skill it takes to keep the ball under control on that little surface.

The quality of the video didn't matter to me for this. You can still see what you are doing pretty clearly and that is pretty good. It just shows how hard it is and how good Freitas's control is that he can look away and keep it going.

It may help to try it for people to have a respect for how hard it actually is. So, I think that is a pretty good job there SchemeSC!

Reactions: Suga D and SchemeSC
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Thanks for the kind words, Carl.

When my friend saw Freitas doing this, he said "What's the big deal? That looks easy?" Then he went and tried it for the first time and couldn't get past 3 bounces. Hah! I started out practicing this against the concrete block wall and just tried to keep the ball within one of the concrete blocks. Once I got to the point where I could keep that going pretty much forever, I started practicing on the table.

The hardest part is getting started and making it past the first 10 bounces or so. But once you make it past 10 and get into a rhythm, you have a chance to keep it going for a really long time. I've found that having a childlike curiousity and a very still mind to be the best way to get good at this. The very second you start to get frustrated and stop just observing, it's over...

I recommend everyone try this, to be honest. It's harder than it looks.