12 Year Old Sensation Tomokazu Harimoto Interview!

says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
We've all heard of him by now, Japan's 12 year old sensation Tomokazu Harimoto has struck the table tennis world by storm! In his outstanding career so far, Harimoto the wonder kid has already shown he can take on the worlds best by defeating Omar Assar, Jens Lundqvist, Tan Ruiwu and many more top 100 world players!

Check out the NEW interview with Tomokazu Harimoto, aftonbladet.se, and Jan Ove Waldner below at the Swedish Open 2015!

danTomokazuHarimoto.jpg

TableTennisDaily's Dan meets Harimoto

How old were you when you first started playing?

Harimoto holds up two fingers, "I started when I was 2". Harimoto's coach Kunihito Tasei responded, "I have never seen such a talent quite like Harimoto."

Who is your biggest idol in table tennis?

My favourite idol is Fan Zhendong.

Do you know who Jan Ove Waldner is?

Yes responded Harimoto quickly. The interviewer immediately paused the interview to go grab Jan Ove Waldner from the stands in the Swedish Open. Waldner quickly came down to join in with Harimoto in the interview. Waldner comes up immediately throwing Japanese phrases with ease making the two laugh.

What do you think of Harimoto, Jan?

I recognise a lot of myself in Harimoto said Waldner, we both read the game very well when we are young. I see many similarities with a mix of good different serves and great backhand. I watched Harimoto when he beat several players in the Safirs Open. I think within a few years he can be a very top player.

Harimoto looks nervous but happy when Jan Ove Waldner talks to him...

harimotowaldner.jpg

Harimoto meets Jan Ove waldner! (Photo by: Lasse Allard)

Harimioto asks Waldner, what do you think I can improve on?

Waldner responds, i think you can improve your wide forehand, your backhand is very good. Your wide forehand will improve with age. Waldner adds jokingly, sushi will help, its very good for you :D

Harimoto and his coach thank Waldner for the comments by bowing.

Harimoto comments after that he was very nervous meeting Waldner and also so was his coach Tasei (smiles).

Before the interview ended we asked him one more question.

What is your dream in table tennis?

Harimoto responds very quickly, "Olympic Gold!"

Article written by: aftonbladet.se

This user has no status.
Looks pretty normal to me, lots of 12 year olds look similar or even more developed. What would you suspect he'd be taking?
I dont think he is taking anything. Im wondering how easy it is to cheat a bit with birthdates, some bird told me that is quite often happening in professional sports ^.^

Reactions: fais
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
look at his body development, i dont trust 100% in that this a 12 year old...

We have a 13 year old in my club who is 5 ft 10 or so. When he was 9, I used to serve the ball short and he couldn't reach it. Now, when he hits the ball, it hits the wall behind me before it lands because of his power.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
This kid is awesome, we may just see Japan become the might of table tennis in around 10 years time

vik

This user has no status.

vik

This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
He is Chinese born and parents are chinese.his real name is Zhang Zhihe.

Why do japanese change the name?

By 2014 he was chinese by this article.It is so simple : just by chinese players because you will never teach japanese to that level.It is like Koji Yoshida chinese born and changed his name.

Last edited:
He is Chinese born and parents are chinese.his real name is Zhang Zhihe.

Why do japanese change the name?

By 2014 he was chinese by this article.It is so simple : just by chinese players because you will never teach japanese to that level.It is like Koji Yoshida chinese born and changed his name.

His given name is indeed Harimoto Tomokazu because he was born and raised in Japan unlike Yoshida (I believe). So it makes no difference that he is Chinese genetically.

vik

This user has no status.

vik

This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
I don´t know who erased link in my post.Acoording to this

Japanese National Table Tennis Championships was surprised by an amazing performance from a 10-year old, Zhang Zhihe. This kid is expected to represent Japan in 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
Interestingly, this kid isn't a Japanese citizen yet. As a son of a Chinese table tennis player, Zhang Ling, Zhang Zhihe is still technically a Chinese citizen. Zhang Ling, a local of Sichuan, has represented the Chinese Team in the 1995 World Championships. However, as a chopper, she did not get much opportunities and attention.

http://tabletennista.com/2014/1/10-year-old-broke-records-in-japan-nationa/

Last edited: