They are really similar
Really depends on the one specific blade that you're going to buy
I have TBS but I also tried viscaria
Viscaria handle for me was really awkward
It really depends on you're play style
Go for TBS if u play more european and viscaria if you play chinese style
Make sure that you try both before buying one

Reactions: MegaZZ and hazzaa96
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Yes, the biggest difference is grip shape and size and that is a matter of what you like. Also, the Viscaria only comes in FL. TBS can be had with all three grip shapes. Other than the grip, the blades have very similar playing properties. Newest Viscaria blades are lighter. Not sure about TBS made more recently.

I played with Viscaria from about 2006 until about a month ago. I decided to do the experiment of trying a ST handle, and I have really liked it. So at the moment I am playing with a ZJK-ALC ST, another blade very similar to the Viscaria. Actually, I find the current ZJK-ALC to be more like older Viscaria blades that I like than newly made Viscarias. (Just to add another option). A lot of people, though, are not willing to pay $50 more for a blade just because it has ZJK's name on it, and is otherwise pretty much the same. I did it because in the US it was the only ST handled ALC I could get without waiting a long time.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
@ Baal: one way of looking at that issue, if the ZJK can be found in weights like 91, 92 grams and it is hard to find a new Viscaria in that weight, than, in a sense, the ZJK ALC is different than the new Viscarias and more like the old ones. Add that to the straight handled option and it seems it is much more what you wanted and without having to special order.

So, in a sense, those are important differences.

There is no way I would want to use an 80 gram blade. These days I think of 90 as a minimum and I know I am using heavy rubbers. I want the inertia behind my stroke and the more solid wood. I can supply the racket speed myself.

Sent from the Oracle of Delphi by the Pythia

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
The biggest difference by FAR in terms of actual playing performance is the hardness. Viscaria is quite a bit softer. Not particularly soft, but much more so than the Boll Spirit which is really firm and quite a bit stiffer than the Viscaria, too. Of the two, I'd say the Viscaria is slightly more controllable, but the Boll Spirit is more solid, especially for flicks. I think the Viscaria has a little more feeling.

I, personally, prefer the Viscaria. But both are outstanding blades. If you like to play a little further from the table and want to do more "feeling" type shots then I'd recommend the Viscaria. However, if you want to play closer to the table with fast drives, then I'd say go for the Boll Spirit.

Try, if possible, to actually try before buying. They are from the same family of blades, but there is a real difference.

Reactions: hazzaa96
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
@ Baal: one way of looking at that issue, if the ZJK can be found in weights like 91, 92 grams and it is hard to find a new Viscaria in that weight, than, in a sense, the ZJK ALC is different than the new Viscarias and more like the old ones. Add that to the straight handled option and it seems it is much more what you wanted and without having to special order.

You are almost certainly right. But too late. I have already special ordered -- because I am an idiot who likes to spend money on table tennis from time to time, whether I need to or not. I specified 89 grams so should be ok. And if they turn out to be not as good as the ZJK-ALC ST I am using at the moment, I will be able to sell the ST Viscarias for very close to what I paid for them in about a week or less.